The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Chest growth stopping, particularly inner chest

I dont know how true this statement is but ive been told the chest is the hardest muscle group to develop. Was told by a friend this, not sure if its true but thats how im feeling at the moment.

Im really struggling to see progession in my inner chest in particular. My current Chest workouts include:

Bench - 4 Sets 6-8 reps
    Incline Bench - 4 sets 6-8 reps
    Decline Flys - 4 sets 6-8 reps
    Regular Flys/Dips - 4 set 6-8 reps (usually alternate this exercise everyweek)

Ive even started to include inner chest exercises during my arm days, doing weighted dips in between benches and close grip bench press. With all this though, this area of muscle is where im seeing the least growth. Any tips on improving the chest?? as its the look and muscle group that i love to workout and see mass gain in the most.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First impressions, from what you have said, would be that you are doing far too much.

What is your whole program like?

Also, the inner chest v outer chest thing has been thrashed to hell in the forums. Your chest is genetically predisposed to be a certain shape, whether this means thicker on the insides, tops, outsides whatever. All you can do is make it bigger. Benching and dips would be a good start.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    That's far too much volume. Find a program that you like from the stickies at the top of this forum and consider adopting it. If your chest doesn't grow then, add calories, not sets/reps/exercises.

Agreed. From what I have read and learned on this forum, if you are not growing you need to check your diet, rest, and stress levels. Not neccessarily change your routine

Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    Agreed. From what I have read and learned on this forum, if you are not growing you need to check your diet, rest, and stress levels. Not neccessarily change your routine
    But he SHOULD change his routine - it sucks.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Diet, rest, etc. are going to be important for overall muscle growth.

With regard to exercise selection - try switching out barbells movements and replacing them with dumbells for a few weeks. You can do your fly movements on a cable crossover or machine if you would like for some added variation as well. I think that you will be pleased with the results.

In many cases variation can be the key to progression.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. My logic was if i incorporate more inner exrecises during my tri workouts it would be beneficial but it appears that it wont be. If it wouldnt be too much trouble, could some post maybe chest routine. I have a home gym with a basic bench that inclines and declines, but i dont have any cables hence why i dont do any cable cross overs. If someone could do that for me it would be much appreciated.

Also, is it possible to gain muscle on the chest without the use of a spotter?? Obviusly it would be more beneficial to have one but my gym partner is tough to get motivated and dont eally know anyone else who wants to get big so is there ways of working around the spotter issue?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ataglance View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. My logic was if i incorporate more inner exrecises during my tri workouts it would be beneficial but it appears that it wont be. If it wouldnt be too much trouble, could some post maybe chest routine. I have a home gym with a basic bench that inclines and declines, but i dont have any cables hence why i dont do any cable cross overs. If someone could do that for me it would be much appreciated.

Also, is it possible to gain muscle on the chest without the use of a spotter?? Obviusly it would be more beneficial to have one but my gym partner is tough to get motivated and dont eally know anyone else who wants to get big so is there ways of working around the spotter issue?
    Yeah, Im a solo gym guy myself, no one really interested in getting fit that I know.
    Name: Adrian
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 142 lbs

Goal: To be 175-180 lbs @ 10% body fat.

If at first you don't succeed, YOU WERE TAUGHT BY LOSERS!

Wannabebig Member
    Yer it sucks because i struggle to get motivated myself knowing that im doing these workouts with someone who isnt totally into it, which unfortunatly rubs off on to me. Its disappointing. Anyway round this? Sounds bad because i only use him to help load the weights onto me. Is there anyway to grow by yourself whilst maintaining heavy weights??

Banned
    My logic was if i incorporate more inner exrecises during my tri workouts it would be beneficial but it appears that it wont be.
    There are not "inner exercises". You can't exercise part of a muscle.

If it wouldnt be too much trouble, could some post maybe chest routine.
    You'll be better off focusing on movements not body parts.

I have a home gym with a basic bench that inclines and declines, but i dont have any cables hence why i dont do any cable cross overs.
    You're better off not doing them anyway.

If someone could do that for me it would be much appreciated.
    You want everything "done" for you. Search this forum and find a pre-made rountine that has been proven to produce the goals you're looking for and follow it. Nobody should have to do anything for you. Do it for yourself.

Also, is it possible to gain muscle on the chest without the use of a spotter??
    Yes of course. You can bench in a power rack. Or you can ask somebody to spot you. Is there *nobody* there to ask when you bench? Or are you just using this to just say your workout partner sucks?

Yer it sucks because i struggle to get motivated myself knowing that im doing these workouts with someone who isnt totally into it, which unfortunatly rubs off on to me. Its disappointing. Anyway round this?
    If you're ever going to get anywhere doing anything, motivation needs to come from within yourself. If it doesn't you need to question why you're doing it.

Sounds bad because i only use him to help load the weights onto me.
    Boy, it sounds like you're a great workout partner, not!

Is there anyway to grow by yourself whilst maintaining heavy weights??
    Ahhh, by having the motivation come from within yourself?
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 06-24-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Some good advice here.

I think the best thing you can do is stop worrying about your 'inner chest'. Get it out of your head.

Some of us are just built the way we are and if you see a guy with a perfectly big shaped chest, chances are that the way it developed was more related to genetics than isolated exercises targetting each section.

Now, I believe there is a time and place to attempt to target sections of the chest, but it should be when you are big and ripped and even then exactly how much of a difference you can make is debatable.

Keep things simple and just focus on being stronger at your chest exercises. Your exercise selection isn't actually that bad but the volume feels too high for me. I would lose the flyes for the time being.

Try this.

Flat Bench Press - 2 x 6-8, 1 x 10-12
    Incline Bench - - 2 x 6-8, 1 x 10-12
    Dips - 3 x 6-8

That's a total of 9 sets compared to your old routine of 16 sets. Trust me, I think your body and strength will be better for less volume and if you are really going at this and lifting to failure, that's enough.

The reason I put in a set of higher reps at the end is I always found I progressed better by some variation in rep ranges. Just pull a bit of weight off the bar so you can reach the 10-12 after the last set of 6-8.

DON'T be tempted to do more sets or more exercises. Stick to the routine above and work hard at it and I bet you progress better.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Daniel thanks alot for your advice. I will definitly incorporate this into my workouts and use it as my chest workout. Im just obssessed with the bigfull chest that im going crazy trying to get there. I guess i want results before all teh hard work. I will try and get the 'look' out of my head and just focus on the hardwork and pain, and with your advice i should see results. Thankyou for your time