The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Powerlifting in Brooklyn, NY

I was originally intending to send this as a private message to Erik2003, but it turns out I can't do that until I have 15 posts.
    Given that, I'll just ask the whole forum:

I am moving away from my beloved training dungeon in Florida with its sleds, earth-mover tires, kettlebells, and power racks with rubber bands to the Park Slope section of Brooklyn. The power-lifting scene there looks pretty grim; any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I saw a post by Erik2003 where he mentioned training at a place near Grand Army Plaza, but not the name of the place.
    5th Avenue Gym appears to have a good reputation in this community, but I haven't had a chance to visit it yet. I would link to it, but I need 10 posts to do that. Hah.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Coliseum Gym in Queens is the only gym in NYC with a monolift. We have some guys who do strongman as well as PL.

Monolift
    Forza Bench
    DL Platform
    Bumper Plates
    Chains, Boards (BYOB - bring your own bands)
    GHR
    Farmers Walk
    Car Deadlift / Frame Thing
    Chalk
    SSB. Cambered Bars, Squat and DL Bars, Trap Bar, Fat Bar

I have a prowler and a sled in my car that i bring with me. If you want to check it out let me know and I will get you a week pass. There are some other options in Brooklyn that may suit you (Aviator and Pat Susco's gym come to mind). Check out http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/new-york

Wannabebig New Member
    Excellent, thanks. That is a nice set of equipment options to work with.
    Apparently Aviator downsized last year and got rid of all their PL gear. I will definitely look into Pat Susco's gym as well; his results speak for themselves.

if i moved to new york, i would try to get to adirondack barbell as much as possible.

I live in Brooklyn and can't come up with much on the part of powerlifting. I've lifted at dozens of gyms in BK and in Manhattan and can't say that I've seen much powerlifting activity and participants at any of them. I'd say meetup.com might have info on places where you can meet for powerlifting in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    if i moved to new york, i would try to get to adirondack barbell as much as possible.
    The Adironacks are hours from New York City.
    From sixty twos, gemstars my mom's dishes

couple hour drive to train with champions once a week is a small price to pay.

Wannabebig Member
    Where in Florida are you training- sounds like a cool place?

Wannabebig Member

Brooklyn powerlifting

First off, welcome to New York as well as Brooklyn. You'll love it here.

Thanks for the post.

After a thorough search I have been unable to locate anything close to powerlifting in any gyms in the Metropolitan, NY area.

I have never been to Coliseum Gym in Queens, but it sounds like the place rocks. I would recommend going there in the weekends, depending on your schedule. I am usually unavailable for the weekends, but if it has what it says, it would be the meca of powerlifting in New York. Congrats to the owners and lifters there.

As for Park Slope (a very nice place to live), I do know of a private gym, an old converted bank, that is more like a general fitness facility. There is Crunch Gym on Flatbush avenue near Grand Army Plaza. Crunch is famous for its aerobics classes. However, like many New York gyms it does NOT have a power rack, a small squat rack sure but no Power Rack. Eastern Athletic Club on Eastern Parkway, is on the other side of Grand Army Plaza. Same as others, it does NOT have a Power Rack, but a squat rack. I go there because in the morning there are like five people thhere.

The best NY gym I saw that would be good for power lifting would be Equinox Gym on Wall Street. They have four powerracks in the gym. The top floor has bumper plates and a squat rack. One of their trainers can help you with Olympic lifting. As far as power lifting, your on your own. The problem with this gym is the cost: $500 initiation fee with $150 per month.

As far as my experience, I just do my own lifting. To use bands on Deadlifts, fold the bands over the bar and step on the ends. Use dumbells to hold the bands for bench. I also attach the bands to the squat rack for squats.

As for yourself, good luck, and you'll have to fight for your powerlifting.
    Last edited by Erik2003; 06-07-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    You cannot cheat in powerlifting, its just you versus the weight, and gravity, and only one winner! God, I love this sport.

Wannabebig Member
    I am currently building a powerlifting area in world gym of west babylon on Long Island. And I an hosting a push pull ironman on aug 8th.

I got guys from out east long island and staten island who come and train with me. Glen Russo (950+ bench) John Bernor (1100 + total) Scott Scheppe (750 bench at 198) just to name a couple.

By the way Barbell01 there are a few other lifters in NY closer to brooklyn then the 5 hr drive upstate, with more national and world championships under their belt then the benchers in the adirondaks oh and if you come train with me I wont charge yu a seminar fee lol....

Chris Taylor

chris, right on bro. being from MN, i don't know **** about the big apple. i hope this guy shows up and you can help him! stay strong!

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    From Brooklyn your talking 3 1/4-3 1/2 hours each was to AB. Friday night, 6pm, ME Bench night. At least it was the last time I was up there which was September.

Chris, I recently started training at the World Gym in West Babylon after going to the bench seminar held there about 6 weeks ago. It has a bunch of equipment and it's worth the 22 mile or so drive for me for sure.

Wannabebig Member

WB worlds

Hey man I have been training there for weeks now...

Im the guy running the meet aug 8th there...
    when do u train we can hoookup..

CT

Sorry man, I only get on here about once a week. I've been seeing the signs for the meet. You guys have a good turnout for it so far?

I train at different times really. This week is in the am, next week will probably be late afternoon.

That would be a large price to pay. Your wallet would be hurting doing that once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Coliseum Gym in Queens is the only gym in NYC with a monolift. We have some guys who do strongman as well as PL.

Monolift
    Forza Bench
    DL Platform
    Bumper Plates
    Chains, Boards (BYOB - bring your own bands)
    GHR
    Farmers Walk
    Car Deadlift / Frame Thing
    Chalk
    SSB. Cambered Bars, Squat and DL Bars, Trap Bar, Fat Bar

I have a prowler and a sled in my car that i bring with me. If you want to check it out let me know and I will get you a week pass. There are some other options in Brooklyn that may suit you (Aviator and Pat Susco's gym come to mind). Check out http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/new-york
    We just got a sled, a yolk, a 10inch 130lbs log and are getting some more strongman stuff in.