The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lifter Sponsorships

I am brainstorming some ways to acquire sponsorships on a local level to help deflect some costs. I'd like to start competing in some national meets and being in the middle of powerlifting nowhere I'm going to need to fly to a few of them. This is a tough time for everyone & I know it will be difficult sale for such an obscure sport. In order for someone to give a sponsorship - I know they need to get something in return.

I live in a small but great city where everyone knows everyone and I've already had one of our local stations do a story on my lifting. My accomplishments pale in comparison to many of awesome lifters that reside here but I think I can do some good things soon.

Here are some of the places/areas I was thinking of
    GYM membership - I train at 3 different gyms
    Nutrition - at least be able to get stuff at cost
    Chiro - college teammate is a local Chiro starting up
    *I am a personal trainer at two smaller fitness centers & I plan on talking to our owner about sponsoring me.
    *I've been planning on trying to do a lift-a-thon type concept for one of my upcoming meets to raise money for a local chairty. I really feel that it can be a great thing for our city & great exposure for powerlifting as I am trying to grow the sport here.

I have a background in minor league sports so I have some ideas on working trades & so on but I wanted to consult with you guys to get your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 06-03-2009 at 11:58 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member ChickenLegs83's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fulldaddy View Post
    I am brainstorming some ways to acquire sponsorships on a local level to help deflect some costs. I'd like to start competing in some national meets and being in the middle of powerlifting nowhere I'm going to need to fly to a few of them. This is a tough time for everyone & I know it will be difficult sale for such an obscure sport. In order for someone to give a sponsorship - I know they need to get something in return.

I live in a small but great city where everyone knows everyone and I've already had one of our local stations do a story on my lifting. My accomplishments pale in comparison to many of awesome lifters that reside here but I think I can do some good things soon.

Here are some of the places/areas I was thinking of
    GYM membership - I train at 3 different gyms
    Nutrition - at least be able to get stuff at cost
    Chiro - college teammate is a local Chiro starting up
    *I am a personal trainer at two smaller fitness centers & I plan on talking to our owner about sponsoring me.
    *I've been planning on trying to do a lift-a-thon type concept for one of my upcoming meets to raise money for a local chairty. I really feel that it can be a great thing for our city & great exposure for powerlifting as I am trying to grow the sport here.

I have a background in minor league sports so I have some ideas on working trades & so on but I wanted to consult with you guys to get your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time.
    What are your powerlifting accomplishments?

What kind of sponsorships are you talking about when you say "local level"?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Im in your boat aswell Fulldaddy. My hometown paper has done 2 articles on me, and one will be published tomorrow. I havent really asked any gyms to sponsor me, but i'll give that a try. My situation is a little different considering im an NCAA athlete, I have to actually work for my sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    What kind of sponsorships are you talking about when you say "local level"?
    I think he means like businesses around his town sponsoring him to go to meets, like local sponsors...not big ones like At Large Nutrition and those major type of sponsors.
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 06-03-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Banned
    The only thing I know of would be to make sure they get some kind of return on their 'investment' with you, be it you pimp their products, wear their logo, get your business in the future, etc.

I'm not a sponsored athlete fwiw, but that is probably their line of thought. Even something like LifterXYZ, a Wonder Bread athlete, hit a xxxx total this weekend might suffice. Or maybe let them use you in regional/quarterly reports they send to their employees or owners or something.

Ive seeked and gotten many sponsorships in the past (not with powerlifting).

You will want to be a good lifter with consistant results, but you don't necessarily have to be excellent. Generally the companies that sponsor you are seeing it as marketing and an investment. For instance a powerlifter may be sponsered by a chiropractic clinic or athletic rehab clinic, this actually works well for all involved. The lifter can get free work done by the place (and maybe entry fees etc) while throwing out a good word and information about the clinic. How many powerlifters have some sort of nagging injury that could be looked at, likely most lifters have these at times.

When I was sponsored it was for mountain biking, the expensises of that sport are far higher then powerlifting. A new bike can be five grand easy, plus entry fees, equipment, maintenance, etc. For a sport like that sponsorship is ar more important. Powerlifting can be done fairly cheaply (if you don't travel a long ways for meets and gym membership is reasonable) and for some its not going to be worth the hassle in getting sponsorships and living up to that sponsors expectations.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Thanks guys. To Travis - thanks for asking - Jesse pretty much hit it. I won 2 ND state titles & established some state records along with making one of Jon's lists at powerliftingwatch.com. That got people interested including our local media. Basically guys I am looking to deflect some of the costs that add up - and ideally I am looking for assistance with travel. Now that I gave up managing gyms to get back into teaching finances are tight and to fly out of a smaller city is expensive.

Next year I'll be in the masters division & by then I'd like to be in the low 1600's (raw - 275/308) - hardly worthy of notice by the companies that sponsor guys here but something I am proud of.

Reko - you are right. Here is an example of what I was thinking in terms of nutrition. I currently have roughly 15 PT clients - if I have them all get their protein & multivitamins, etc there - can I get mine at cost (or better). With the main gym I train at I thought about asking for a trade - free membership if I have all TV, news stories done at or mention "said" gym, along with wearing "said" gyms shirt at my meets. I thought about starting my own website (pertaining to personal training/strength & conditioning) which would be a great asset in terms of bringing attention to sponsors.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my initial post - Stripes was on and it happened to be at the part where they went in to that mud wrestling bar so I was a bit distracted.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 06-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Ive seeked and gotten many sponsorships in the past (not with powerlifting).

You will want to be a good lifter with consistant results, but you don't necessarily have to be excellent. Generally the companies that sponsor you are seeing it as marketing and an investment. For instance a powerlifter may be sponsered by a chiropractic clinic or athletic rehab clinic, this actually works well for all involved. The lifter can get free work done by the place (and maybe entry fees etc) while throwing out a good word and information about the clinic. How many powerlifters have some sort of nagging injury that could be looked at, likely most lifters have these at times.

When I was sponsored it was for mountain biking, the expensises of that sport are far higher then powerlifting. A new bike can be five grand easy, plus entry fees, equipment, maintenance, etc. For a sport like that sponsorship is ar more important. Powerlifting can be done fairly cheaply (if you don't travel a long ways for meets and gym membership is reasonable) and for some its not going to be worth the hassle in getting sponsorships and living up to that sponsors expectations.
    Thanks SELK. That is what I was thinking in terms of the Chiropractic clinic & possibly some other rehab/prehab work. Outside of supplements - my biggest expense is travel. I've got one - maybe two meets a year that are an hour & a half away. Two other potiential regional meets are 6 hour drives. I hope to eventually be able to lift at 2 or 3 meets a year I will have to fly to. I am glad I don't need to buy a top end mountain bike -wow.

With the economy the way it is you may have a tough time gettin local sponsors. But Its worth a try. Basically to get a sponsorship you have to be a salesman and sell yourself to the business that you are aproaching. Every potential sponsor is going to want to know what is in it for them. The newspaper write ups can be usefull if you get a chance to plug your local sponsors. Otherwise offer to put their banner on your singlet and talk them up to all your friend and family.

I have had several local sponsor over the years. I usually aproached them when I had a big meet coming up and needed assitance with travel accomidations. I would always have a write up in the paper afterwards giving all my local sponsors props.

Getting sponsors and keeping sponsors can be a pain in the ass at times. I have been fortunate and have come across some great sponsor to work with over the years. Good luck.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Here is a great sponsorship article I wrote last year for one of my current sponsors: http://www.bmfsports.com/37.html

I currently have 5 different sponsors. The key is to show the sponsors how you can promote them and bring them more business! My haters don't like my methods, but I have not paid for a bench press shirt for the 9th year. I must be doing something right
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 06-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    FullDaddy -

Congratulations on your lifting accomplishments.

That is a good idea to get some local businesses involved and may help to motivate you for your training as well.

Are there any other areas where you may be marketable?
    - Your career?
    - Appearance?
    - Strong personal network?
    - Specific achievements? (Drug free, weight loss, etc.)

It is important to offer some type of value to a potential sponsor. A lot of this will have to do with your name recognition. You can build recognition though social networking sites like Myspace, Message Boards, or video sites like Youtube. The more that your information is out there the more value that your name will carry.

I would start to get some photos of your training, video PR lifts, and look for an area where your rise above the rest. This could be finding your best lift, crazy conditioning, etc. - if you can post up something outrageous that other lifters cannot do then it gives you an edge and makes you unique.

Getting some cool photos would be a good part of your "pitch" and putting them together with a sheet listing your accomplishments is a great way to present yourself.

Hope this helps.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Rob, JT, and Tom - thank you guys so much for your thoughts, opinions, and well wishes. Through the dialoge & questions I have a clearer vision for what I need to put together and how to go about it. JT - thanks for posting the link to your article. I found it informative and resourceful. Tom - I am going to utilize your ideas.

I am fortunate in many regards to live where I do (outside of traveling). I've lived here on and off for 10 or so years, graduated from college here, coached & taught here - and because I have always strived to treat people with respect and help others my quest will be easier.

Hopefully we will have several more posts with people sharing ideas and/or experiences. I also hope other lifters here can benefit from this information and put their own wheels in motion.

Wannabebig Member

asking for sponsorships

I just read that article you wrote for BMF Sports. I recently wrote Inzer, but I don't want to hassle them. Can I expect them to reply to me one way or another within a few weeks? I know they have several people that are wondering the same thing. How long might a company go before letting you know? Is there a chance they might not correspond with me at all?

"Raise one hand if you've got haters / Raise both hands if you are greater."~~Keith Frank

Quote Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post
    Here is a great sponsorship article I wrote last year for one of my current sponsors: http://www.bmfsports.com/37.html

I currently have 5 different sponsors. The key is to show the sponsors how you can promote them and bring them more business! My haters don't like my methods, but I have not paid for a bench press shirt for the 9th year. I must be doing something right

ASC Pro Strongman Ryan Bracewell's Avatar
    OP, I am a firm believer that being sponsored is all about who you know....at least until you have made a name for yourself or turned pro in your sport. Building a strong network and being marketable is what gets you money. I am a good example of this because I was sponsored by i-Force Nutrition well before I ever really did anything in the sport of strongman. When I first got sponsored I'm pretty sure it was because I owned a nutrition store, and the owner of i-Force figured that his sponsorship would help move his product in my store. But for those that don't own a gym or fitness related business, it will all be about marketability. Here are my suggestions for you:

1) create a resume that includes your lifting accomplishments and anything school or work related that shows determination and hard work that you can give your potential sponsors.

2) Compete as much as possible. The more you compete, the more exposure your potential sponsor will get

3) setup a youtube account. Again, the more subscribers you have means more exposure for your sponsors. You can also put this on your Lifting Resume. Prospective sponsors would love to know that you have 1,000+ people watching all your videos.

4) Look good and Act right. I know this is a forum for PLing and Strongman, but its a no brainer....the better you look, the more marketable you are. Look at strongman, almost everyone strongman that is known by people outside of the sport is lean and in shape(i.e. Pudz, Kevin Nee, Derek Poundstone, Jesse Marunde, etc.). Obviously if your a SHW your not going to have a six pack, but you can still look good.

5) Think outside the box. Don't just look for sponsorship from fitness related businesses. Talk to locally owned stores that you shop at, and if your still in school talk to bigger businesses in the area. All they can do is say no.

Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    I just read that article you wrote for BMF Sports. I recently wrote Inzer, but I don't want to hassle them. Can I expect them to reply to me one way or another within a few weeks? I know they have several people that are wondering the same thing. How long might a company go before letting you know? Is there a chance they might not correspond with me at all?

"Raise one hand if you've got haters / Raise both hands if you are greater."~~Keith Frank
    If a company wants to sponsor you, they will contact you. I have wrote and emailed probably around 50 different companies over a 10 year span. A total of 7 said yes. Just keep knocking on that door and eventually it will open!! I'm always knocking because you can't have too many sponsors. Similar like NASCAR racing.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

Quote Originally Posted by fulldaddy View Post
    Rob, JT, and Tom - thank you guys so much for your thoughts, opinions, and well wishes. Through the dialoge & questions I have a clearer vision for what I need to put together and how to go about it. JT - thanks for posting the link to your article. I found it informative and resourceful. Tom - I am going to utilize your ideas.

I am fortunate in many regards to live where I do (outside of traveling). I've lived here on and off for 10 or so years, graduated from college here, coached & taught here - and because I have always strived to treat people with respect and help others my quest will be easier.

Hopefully we will have several more posts with people sharing ideas and/or experiences. I also hope other lifters here can benefit from this information and put their own wheels in motion.
    Good luck and don't accept no! Keeping knocking on that door!
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL