The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Metal Deadlift suit

I just ordered my first deadlift suit. Decided on a Metal IPF suit. Seems like there are a lot of positive feedback on the suits. Who uses them on this site with good results? What kind of carryover should I look for from raw to suit?
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    I just ordered my first deadlift suit. Decided on a Metal IPF suit. Seems like there are a lot of positive feedback on the suits. Who uses them on this site with good results? What kind of carryover should I look for from raw to suit?
    If you arent going to compete in single ply or IPF, I would return the suit and get the King Pro Deadlifter. I used an IPF Squatter as a deadlift suit and got about 30 lbs out of it.

I lift single ply.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    I lift single ply.
    OK, well then I would say about 30-40 lbs would be your carryover, assuming the straps are tight enough and the suit doesnt alter your form in a negative way. If the straps aren't tight enough you can get them altered. I got about the same out of a Metal IPF Squatter, which for me worked because I am tall and the straps were real tight.

I really like the king pro deadlift suit I have. No idea what my carryover is, since there's no point in maxing raw on a competition deadlift. I tried to get the IPF version to use at IPF meets. The straps were a good 4" too short, so I had to return it and go with a Titan Velocity.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Liked my pro king sumo, but its too small now
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I have a Metal King Pro and hit a PR the first time that I put it on with the straps down, was never able to learn the suit correctly though and am unsure of the carryover - probably 30 to 40 lbs assistance to the knees, from there it was all on me.

Going to give it another try though in the next couple of weeks.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

JM,

I just bought a Titan velocity suit from Ken Anderson. I've only pulled raw, so I should be able to gauge the carryover... I'll let you know how it goes!
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I have a Metal King Pro and hit a PR the first time that I put it on with the straps down, was never able to learn the suit correctly though and am unsure of the carryover - probably 30 to 40 lbs assistance to the knees, from there it was all on me.

So have you tried the suit with the straps up? Why do you feel that you couldn't learn the suit correctly?

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    So have you tried the suit with the straps up? Why do you feel that you couldn't learn the suit correctly?
    I tried it with straps up a couple of times and could not get to the bar. Then loosened them up and was able to pull but the suit seemed to give out around the knees - it did give me a ton of pop from the floor though.

Pretty sure that it was sized correctly, but I pull with a wider conventional stance and think that I might have been fighting the suit a bit... having to eventually set up differently.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

That sounds about right, honestly. Most guys don't get much out of a deadlift, especially when pulling conventional. It does help off the floor, but not much at the lockout.

How tight were the legs?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I tried it with straps up a couple of times and could not get to the bar. Then loosened them up and was able to pull but the suit seemed to give out around the knees - it did give me a ton of pop from the floor though.

Pretty sure that it was sized correctly, but I pull with a wider conventional stance and think that I might have been fighting the suit a bit... having to eventually set up differently.
    Yeah, a deadlift suit isnt going to give you much of anything from knee to lockout. I try and use the pop and speed off the floor to carry it through the knee and hopefully lockout. With your wider stance, maybe try and roll the legs up so you can perhaps get more comfortable with a wider stance in the suit. Also, make sure that the suit is not pulled all the way up into your crotch. If you leave about an inch of slack when you bend down to get to the bar the suit should setup without crushing your manhood.

Good advice here! Remember a SUPER STRONG dude like Tom CAN PULL with straps down, but there aren't many SUPERMEN like Tom around, for MOST you will get max carryover utilizing the straps UP. Even a strongman like Tom could get MORE carryover in the suit if he had the time to practice using the straps up. The METAL brand has some awesome DL suits, and I will add Dave Tate is nothing short of a CLASS act. I am partial to Titan, and specifically the VELOCITY. I have been involved in the creation and testing of more than one DL suit, and it is the best I have used hands down. I tested it sumo AND conventional both with great results, including multi ply versions. One of the many keys to the suit is the VELCRO STRAP SYSTEM (APLIX). Many DL suits IF FITTED TIGHT will give you good pop off the deck, but the BEST DL suits will give you carryover all the way to lockout. IF your rules dont allow velcro, the Velocity is still a great suit as I was able to use a prototype of the suit, minus the velcro and still pulled a USPF National DL record in it with minimal use in the suit. If your fed allows it add the velcro to the Metal suits that it sounds like you are going to purchase. Here is some advice you should ALWAYS REMEMBER:

WHEN USING GEAR IN THE DEADLIFT APPROACH IT THE SAME WAY YOU WOULD WHEN USING A BENCH SHIRT, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Get no less than six good pulls each cycle in full DL gear, and even more if your cycle allows regardless of which brand DL suit you may choose. Metal makes great DL suits, as does Inzer, but I much prefer the Velocity.

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi