Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help with workout

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5

    Help with workout

    Please give adivice on this routine. I have been working each body part twice a week. My schedule was:

    Monday- Chest and Tris (heavy)
    Tuesday- Back and bis (heavy)
    Wed- Shoulder and legs (heavy)
    Thursday- Chest and tris (light)
    Friday- Back and bis (light)
    Saturday - Shoulder and legs (light)

    Will going to the below 4 day split be enough to increase strength and add muscle mass?

    Monday- Shoulders

    Military Press 3x5
    Arnold Press Dumbbells 3x8
    Upright Rows 3x8
    Dumbbell lateral raises 3x8
    Rear Dealts on machine 3x8
    Shruggs 4x8

    Tuesday- Back and Triceps


    Chinups 3x10
    Dead lifts 5x5
    One arm dumbbell rows 3x8
    Cable Rows 3x8

    Close grip bench press 5x5
    Dips 3x8
    Bar pulldowns 3x10
    Extension Machine

    Thursday- Legs

    Squats 5x5
    Leg Presses 4x8
    Leg Extensions 4x8
    Leg Curls 4x8
    Straight leg dead lifts 4x8

    Friday- Chest and Biceps

    Bench press 5x5
    Incline press 5x5
    Dumbbell flies 3x8
    Incline dumbbell flies 3x8

    Seated Curls 3x8
    Standing barbell curls 3x8
    Preacher curls 3x8

    Please give any advice you think will help. I will also be taking whey protein and creatine.
    Last edited by flair4040; 06-29-2009 at 03:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Coqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    663
    I'm by no means an expert but the only thing I definitely don't like is that on Friday you have 2 compounds and 5 isolation movements.

  3. #3
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730

  4. #4
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    127
    Why did you go with that specific bodypart split? It looks like you will be using a lot of the same muscles on consecutive days, which is something that you want to try to avoid.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Why did you go with that specific bodypart split? It looks like you will be using a lot of the same muscles on consecutive days, which is something that you want to try to avoid.

    Are you refering to the schedule I have been doing or the one I am asking for help with?

  6. #6
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by flair4040 View Post
    Are you refering to the schedule I have been doing or the one I am asking for help with?
    The one that you are going to be doing.

    Your original split was definitely far too much volume for most people to handle unless they were very low intensity workouts (which would not be ideal for strength / mass gains).

    My question originates from the shoulder day being on day one - you are using a lot of back and triceps as secondary muscles in those movements and then training back/triceps the next day.

    For a four day split I would go with something like this:

    Monday: Back (Rows, Chins, Shrugs, etc.)
    Tuesday: Chest (Pressing, Dips, etc)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Legs (Deadlift, Squat, Lunges, etc.)
    Friday: Biceps / Triceps / Deltoids (Curls, pushdowns, raises, etc.)
    Saturday & Sunday: Active Recovery or Rest
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The one that you are going to be doing.

    Your original split was definitely far too much volume for most people to handle unless they were very low intensity workouts (which would not be ideal for strength / mass gains).

    My question originates from the shoulder day being on day one - you are using a lot of back and triceps as secondary muscles in those movements and then training back/triceps the next day.

    For a four day split I would go with something like this:

    Monday: Back (Rows, Chins, Shrugs, etc.)
    Tuesday: Chest (Pressing, Dips, etc)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Legs (Deadlift, Squat, Lunges, etc.)
    Friday: Biceps / Triceps / Deltoids (Curls, pushdowns, raises, etc.)
    Saturday & Sunday: Active Recovery or Rest
    Thanks Tom. Do you think hitting the muscle just once a week is enough? That is my main worry. I have always hit each muscle at least twice a week.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Coqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by flair4040 View Post
    Thanks Tom. Do you think hitting the muscle just once a week is enough? That is my main worry. I have always hit each muscle at least twice a week.
    If you hit them hard enough yes. But be careful, you can still overtrain even at once a week.

  9. #9
    Cock-Diesel Bound Optimum08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Afternoon Delight
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by flair4040 View Post
    Thanks Tom. Do you think hitting the muscle just once a week is enough? That is my main worry. I have always hit each muscle at least twice a week.
    Intensity, not volume, is the key.
    Status: Cutting...Heavily

    "Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Similar Threads

  1. Barbells,Boobies and Baggage; Origins of Hatred.
    By Hatred in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 6537
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 01:15 AM
  2. Please critique my workout plan......
    By clipse in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
  3. Cutting Workout Plan w. Bball workout mixed in???
    By Mic Soloist in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 02:21 AM
  4. 750 rep workout evaluation
    By nukethewhales06 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 01:42 PM
  5. Benchprogram
    By Workhorse in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-01-2002, 10:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •