Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: New guy starting out, Done the research, but with questions.

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35

    New guy starting out, Done the research, but with questions.

    First let me say that English is not my first language and I apologize for any grammar problems.

    I have searched all over the internet and I have stockpiled quite a bit of information on weightlifting/exercising, but I am not confident enough in what I have learned to put it to use.

    Luckily for me these forums exist and experienced weight lifters like you are able to help

    So let me get started. I need things like my proposed routine, and diet checked. And other various questions.

    With that let me get started.

    My main goal- To gain more muscle mass and bulk, and have a generall stronger and more fit body. I'm not looking to be come gigantic or anything, think more of a male fitness model body type.

    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_OMLYyLC8HTo/SZ...umb%5B1%5D.jpg

    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OMLYyLC8HTo/SZ...umb%5B1%5D.jpg

    is what I am going for


    Currently I am 17 years old, exactly 156 lbs, and about 5' 10''.

    My body type is fairly mesomorph (I believe this is the word). Although I do not do any sort of exercise I have a fairly built chest, large biceps (for my size) and can practically eat what I choose and not gain weight.


    This will pretty much be the first time for me lifting weights. Let me break it down to you all of the equipment I have.

    Equipment

    2 dumbbells (10lbs)

    1 Barbell (20lbs of weight on it)

    1 Weight Bench (Although without the pillars to hold the barbell)

    1 Total gym workout machine (This machine uses pulleys to use your own body weight as the resistance)

    I'm sure that the weights I have are not enough. What kind of weights, and how much of them should I buy? The Total gym can offer me up to about 60 pounds of resistance for certain exercises, but I read that using free-weights is more desired than using a machine, and so I would prefer to use free-weights in the exercise. I am willing to try all suggestions as to what sort of equipment I need to get.


    Next is my diet, I learned that I need to try to get 1-1.5g of protein for every pound that my body weighs. So for me that is 156-234g of protein each day. This is my proposed diet plan for each day, again, I am open to any and all critiques and suggestions.

    Diet

    Breakfast - 2 eggs, 1 glass of milk, 3 pieces of Bacon

    Before workout meal - 1 cup of Peanuts (no shell)

    Post-workout meal - Whey protein shake, Ham sandwhich (Ham/Bread/some Mayo)

    Dinner - Baked potato, Mixed Vegetables, 8oz. Chicken Breast

    After dinner - 1 Apple, Several slices of cheese.

    Before Bed - 1 Vitamin/Protein bar, 1/4 cup Pistachios


    These foods are not final, and one item may be substituted for another on any given day. I just wanted to check if the foods I was choosing were good enough to support my body on a weightlifting program.

    If there are any foods I need to add or take out from my diet, please, do not hesitate to tell me.


    Next is my Workout Routine -

    Workout Routine


    Monday (Arms) -

    (10 minutes jogging)

    Bicep Curls (Biceps)

    Dumbbel Triceps Extension (Triceps)

    Barbell Reverse Curls (Forearms)




    Tuesday (Legs) -

    (10 minutes jogging)

    Barbell Squats (Thighs)

    Dumbbell Squats (Thighs)



    Wednesday (Rest) -




    Thursday (Chest) -

    (10 minutes jogging)

    dumbbell-flyes
    (Upper)

    Bent arm Dumbbell Pullovers (Middle)

    Declined Dumbbell Flyes (Lower)


    Friday (Back/Shoulders) -

    (10 minutes jogging)

    Dumbbell Lying Rows (Back)

    Shoulder Press (Shoulder)

    Bent Over Rows (Back)

    Arnold Press (Shoulder/Back)



    Saturday -

    Rest.


    Sunday -

    Rest.



    For each of these exercises I was thinking of doing 2-3 sets each. I'm not setting an exact number of reps because I read that it is better to stop lifting about 1-2 reps before your muscles cannot lift the weight any more. If I am wrong please correct me.

    If you have any suggestions on other exercises I need to add or I need to take out please to not hesitate to tell me.


    Random Questions

    1. How long should I wait after eating to work out? (I've heard mixed responses)

    2. On my workout routine, where should I put ab workouts?

    3. When following my routine will it be detrimental for me to have some chocolate or something around once every 2 days or so?

    4. What kind of streches are the best?

    5. When is the best time for me to stretch?

    6. Should I stretch my muscles after each set?

    7. Is it reccomended to stretch on my rest days?



    Thank you all very much
    Last edited by Catalunya; 06-29-2009 at 11:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member always_losing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cape Town - South Africa
    Posts
    110
    Program:

    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795

    Diet:

    Since you're 17 and its the first time that you are ever training, eat everything that your mom doesn't have nailed down. Then eat some more. Then eat some more.

    Equipment:

    All you really need is a Bench, some sort of rack for squatting, and I'd say around 200lbs of weights should see you through you first few months of your training.

    Once your gains slow down, and you need to restructure the above, you will have had time to read everything that you will need to know by then. So you will know where u want your workout/diet to go and how many more weights you need.
    200lbs @ 10%
    340/400/450

    Dude... wow... i'm drunk. Flabbagasted at your choice of decision. Should i call you in 30 min when we are en route, come, oaks are for fun.

  3. #3
    Senior Member always_losing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cape Town - South Africa
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    Random Questions

    1. How long should I wait after eating to work out? (I've heard mixed responses)

    Don't wait. Insulin spike, cash in.

    2. On my workout routine, where should I put ab workouts?

    Don't stress.. Do Starting Strength as is in the link I posted


    3. When following my routine will it be detrimental for me to have some chocolate or something around once every 2 days or so?

    Nope.

    4. What kind of stretches are the best?
    5. When is the best time for me to stretch?
    6. Should I stretch my muscles after each set?
    7. Is it recommended to stretch on my rest days?

    Last paper I read said stretching made one more prone to injuries, but I really don't enough to tell you about stretching. I would say don't stress about it, stretch when you want, stop when you don't. Diet, rest and exercise are the important things atm.
    Bold is me
    200lbs @ 10%
    340/400/450

    Dude... wow... i'm drunk. Flabbagasted at your choice of decision. Should i call you in 30 min when we are en route, come, oaks are for fun.

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by always_losing View Post
    Program:

    Diet:

    Since you're 17 and its the first time that you are ever training, eat everything that your mom doesn't have nailed down. Then eat some more. Then eat some more.

    Equipment:

    All you really need is a Bench, some sort of rack for squatting, and I'd say around 200lbs of weights should see you through you first few months of your training.

    Once your gains slow down, and you need to restructure the above, you will have had time to read everything that you will need to know by then. So you will know where u want your workout/diet to go and how many more weights you need.
    When should I stop eating everything I can get my hands on and move into a more regimented and scheduled diet?

    Also, I'm unsure how to choose a good starting weight for dumbbells.

    Also, Will I be able to use barbells even though I workout alone?

  5. #5
    Senior Member McLaughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    When should I stop eating everything I can get my hands on and move into a more regimented and scheduled diet?

    Also, I'm unsure how to choose a good starting weight for dumbbells.

    Also, Will I be able to use barbells even though I workout alone?
    Eating - Stop when you feel like you're getting to big, although if you're working hard with the weights and have a decent metabolism this should take a while.

    Starting weight - Just keep trying until you find one you can barely do full sets of, and work up from there.

    Barbells - Heck yea, a lot of guys workout alone (myself included). Just gotta be careful.

    Trying not to die young.

  6. #6
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    I couldn't tell that English is a second language for you. Your posts are easier to read than most of the young pups here that grew up speaking English. They could learn a thing from you. Nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I couldn't tell that English is a second language for you. Your posts are easier to read than most of the young pups here that grew up speaking English. They could learn a thing from you. Nice job.
    Thank you, spell check is helping me a lot lol.



    I have another question.

    It is summer now and obviously i'm staying up late and waking up late.

    Right now im going to bed around 2-3am, and waking up around 11:30-1pm.

    Is this going to hurt my workout routine at all? Do I need to get on a more regular schedule?


    Edit: Another questions

    What do you mean a rack for squats? H
    Last edited by Catalunya; 06-25-2009 at 06:22 PM.

  8. #8
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    It is summer now and obviously i'm staying up late and waking up late.

    Right now im going to bed around 2-3am, and waking up around 11:30-1pm.

    Is this going to hurt my workout routine at all? Do I need to get on a more regular schedule?
    As long as you get your workout in, you'll be fine. It won't hurt anything. Just stay consistent.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    What do you mean a rack for squats? H
    I would look at getting a power rack. That will allow you to bench and squat in relative safety. Check out elitefts.com or http://www.williamsstrength.com/ to get an idea as to what a power rack is. Not sure where to find one in your neck of the woods, but they got to be somewhere. I even saw one guy that did a decent power rack out of wood.

    If you can weld or know someone with the skills, you can put together a decent rack.

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I would look at getting a power rack. That will allow you to bench and squat in relative safety. Check out elitefts.com or to get an idea as to what a power rack is. Not sure where to find one in your neck of the woods, but they got to be somewhere. I even saw one guy that did a decent power rack out of wood.

    If you can weld or know someone with the skills, you can put together a decent rack.
    I live in America lol. Thank you though.

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Another question: Would there be any way for me to incorporate my total gym machine into my routine?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    Another question: Would there be any way for me to incorporate my total gym machine into my routine?
    While it pains me to say this, you probably can perform SOME decent movements on your total gym thing. You said it used pulleys to use your bodyweight as the resistance...so I THINK this means it's kind of like cables. Right? So like...when you have the "resistance" or the handles in your hands, you can move them whereever you want, right? You're not restricted? Cuz then it's fine...I mean, you still have to find some good movements to use. But since you're still required to use stabilizers and everything - it's not LIKE a machine. It's more like redirected gravity.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    ...if you search google images for "Male fitness model" the 5th picture from the right is what I am going for (though with a bit more ab definition).
    Safe search on or off?

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Safe search on or off?
    Safe search on moderate.

    Here is the URL, i had to post it like this to bypass the 10 post count URL block.

    w
    w
    w
    .
    worldofstock
    .
    c
    o
    m
    /closeups/PMO1268.php

  15. #15
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    I am beginning my routine on monday.

    These are the weights that I've got.

    I bought 2 dumbbell bars and 1 barbell bar.

    as for weights I have -

    4 - 2.5lbs
    4 - 10lbs
    4 - 5lbs
    4 - 4lbs
    2 - 2lbs

    So on a barbell the max I can put is 90lbs.
    On my dumbbells I can put 45lbs max on each.

    I have no doubt that these are probably going to get me through the first month or so as I am a beginner, but i'm just not understand how much weight I should add everytime I restart my weeks routine.

    Also - I looked at how to do the starting strength exercises, and two of them will be a problem for me

    1. The Squat - I do not have a squat rack

    2. The Powerclean - I cannot drop my weights on the floor

    Is there any way to do these exercises and bypass these issues? Like another variation of them or something?

    If not, is there an exercise that I can substitute them with that is almost as effective?

  16. #16
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya
    Is there any way to do these exercises and bypass these issues? Like another variation of them or something?

    If not, is there an exercise that I can substitute them with that is almost as effective?
    No. You either need to buy more weights or join a gym.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  17. #17
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    No. You either need to buy more weights or join a gym.
    Buying more weights isn't the issue right now.

    The issue is that I'm afraid to to Squats without a rack, and I cannot drop my weights on the ground for cleaners because i'd prefer to not have my weights go through the floor.

  18. #18
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    I am beginning my routine on monday.

    These are the weights that I've got.

    I bought 2 dumbbell bars and 1 barbell bar.

    as for weights I have -

    4 - 2.5lbs
    4 - 10lbs
    4 - 5lbs
    4 - 4lbs
    2 - 2lbs

    So on a barbell the max I can put is 90lbs.
    On my dumbbells I can put 45lbs max on each.

    I have no doubt that these are probably going to get me through the first month or so as I am a beginner, but i'm just not understand how much weight I should add everytime I restart my weeks routine.

    Also - I looked at how to do the starting strength exercises, and two of them will be a problem for me

    1. The Squat - I do not have a squat rack

    2. The Powerclean - I cannot drop my weights on the floor

    Is there any way to do these exercises and bypass these issues? Like another variation of them or something?

    If not, is there an exercise that I can substitute them with that is almost as effective?

    As Mr. PaiN noted above buying more weights or joining a gym would be your best bet by far.

    If however you can do neither for the time being, you can do front squats and deadlifts to replace the back squat for now and OH presses in place of the clean. But you are likely to quickly outgrow the weight you have, so spend time scouting around for either a gym or some more weights.

  19. #19
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalunya View Post
    Buying more weights isn't the issue right now.

    The issue is that I'm afraid to to Squats without a rack, and I cannot drop my weights on the ground for cleaners because i'd prefer to not have my weights go through the floor.
    I wouldn't want to squat without a rack either and you most certainly shouldn't. You'd just be itching for disaster that way.

    And weights going through the floor is bad too.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 06-28-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  20. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    As Mr. PaiN noted above buying more weights or joining a gym would be your best bet by far.

    If however you can do neither for the time being, you can do front squats and deadlifts to replace the back squat for now and OH presses in place of the clean. But you are likely to quickly outgrow the weight you have, so spend time scouting around for either a gym or some more weights.
    I will try those exercises in place of them for now.

    And of course, more weight will be coming but probably even 40 lbs on a deadlift will be hard for me right now lol.

  21. #21
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    One last question before I being the starting Strength routine tomorrow. -

    It says that I am to do warm up reps before lifting.

    I understand what this means but I just want to clarify.

    So before I do each exercise I should do a few warm up reps of the exercise using a lower weight than I will use for the actual reps.

    For example, when I do routine A


    a few warm up reps of squat, then the actual Squat

    then

    a few warm up reps of Bench Press, then the actual Bench Press

    then

    a few warm up reps of Deadlift, then the actual Deadlift


    Right?



    Oh, one more thing. I do have the total gym that I can use. It offers me about 60-70 pounds of resistance. There is a bar on it designed for leg workouts. While laying down on the cushion on it and doing leg works out, could i perhaps have a barbell resting on my shoulders to help generate a more squat-like exercise?

  22. #22
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,607
    Are you a Spaniard?

    You need to get more food and more weight before you worry about anything else. You're definitely not eating enough and you're going to outgrow your weights very quickly. Stick to barbell training and avoid the total gym. Get a squat rack, an Olympic bar and 300lbs of weight. Also look into getting some rubber padding for your floor.

    Your understanding of the warm up is correct.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 06-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    Say you intend to squat 225x3x5, a sample warmup would probably look like:

    barx2x5
    95x1x5
    135x1x4
    185x1x2

    followed by worksets.

  24. #24
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Are you a Spaniard?

    You need to get more food and more weight before you worry about anything else. You're definitely not eating enough and you're going to outgrow your weights very quickly. Stick to barbell training and avoid the total gym. Get a squat rack, an Olympic bar and 300lbs of weight. Also look into getting some rubber padding for your floor.

    Your understanding of the warm up is correct.
    Gracias, ya lo se que no estoy comiendo bastante.

    Y cuanto cuesta un Squat Rack? Pensaba que aun no lo necesite porque estoy empezando.

    Y ahora puedes ver que soy de espana haha Pero el espanol no es mi lengua primera. Para mi es el Catalan. Es como una mezcla del espanol y el francais.

    Gracias

  25. #25
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Creo que todavía debe obtener un bastidor agachado. Squats será esenciales para su formación, por lo que propongo que obtendrá uno tan pronto como se puede. Taco burrito enchilada supreme.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Similar Threads

  1. Fat Guy Starting
    By Bob_1986 in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM
  2. starting first cut. would like some questions answered
    By PoutineEh in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 03:10 AM
  3. Starting Up Body Building Again Questions
    By Jaysworld26 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 08:59 PM
  4. CKD diet questions from a new guy
    By FattyBri in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:48 PM
  5. New Guy here with Questions!!!
    By Tim in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-01-2001, 10:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •