The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Getting Started - Critique My Program

All,

I registered on the boards late last year and I just began reading some of the posts and articles over the last week or so.

I'm 5' 8" and 165lbs. I'm looking to bulk up a lot and I'm currently doing the following work out:

First Week of Month
    M,W,F - 30min Cardio First Then Upper Body Workout
    T,T - 30 mins Cardio First Then Lower Body Workout

Second Week of Month
    M,W,F - 30min Cardio First Then Lower Body Workout
    T,T - 30 mins Cardio First Then Upper Body Workout

Then I rotate between those. So one week I'll do one extra day of Uppers and the other week I'll do an extra day of lowers.

I thought about changing it to something like:
    Sun,Tues,Thur,Sat - 30mins Cardio First Then Upper Body Workout
    Mon,Wed,Fri,Sat - 30mins Cardio First then Lower Body Workout

What do you think of both of my routines (current and new)? With my current one, I don't feel like I am being pushed enough.

The way I have been doing my weights are as followed:
    12 reps of a lower weight then rest 1 minute.
    10 reps of a bit higher weight then rest 1 minute.
    8 reps of even more weight then rest 1 minute.
    6 reps of the weight that i can barely lift six times and rest 2 minutes.
    then work my way back down doing the 8 again, then 10,12.

What do you think of this?

For my pre-workout shake I take 1 scoop of GNC's AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 with 4oz of water and usually a banana or powerbar.

For my post-workout I take 1 scoop of GNC's AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 with 4oz of water.

I've been doing this for the past two weeks and my weight has been fluctuating between 164-169lbs. I can see improvements in my arms but I don't currently have any way of measuring the improvements or BF.

Thank you, I still have a lot of reading to do.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read the Starting Strength Sticky
    Sarvamangalam!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    First of all... never do intensive cardio before lifting. Either do it after or save it for your off days. Secondly, you didn't even say what your exercises were. And lastly, as far as I can tell, your training setup is crap. Take a look at this ~> http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 06-27-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

was gonna say the same as scar.
    if your looking to bulk up then you need to drop all those reps and you certainly need to stop doing cardio before your strength routine, cause to gain mass your going to need every bit of strength you got.

just drop the reps to 5 each set and do 5 sets.
    the 5x5 for strength is spot on tbh!
    forget silly isolation exercises, just stick to ya basics and build ya foundations first!

Wannabebig New Member
    Great, thanks guys for the replies and for my lack of knowledge. I'll be reading posts all day and night the next few weeks learning all that I can.

I'll switch to the 5x5's like you recommend. I will also only workout on Mon, Wed, Fri - and do carido only on those off days (tues, thur, sat) and leave Sunday as a full day of rest.

I never really thought of the cardio robbing me from the weight lifting, i mean i never feel tired after working out and usually not very sore at all the day after. but I'll take any additional improvements that i can with my lifting.

What about my pre and post workout meals? Is that enough?

The 1 scoop shake gives me:
    20g protein
    2.5g Lecucine
    166g L-Carnitine

Is that enough protein? Then I take another one of these after my work out. Should I do two servings after the work out to give me 40g protein, would that be helpful?

Also, is it a good idea to split them up like this or should I take all of it after the work out?

Quote Originally Posted by mnoremac View Post
    Great, thanks guys for the replies and for my lack of knowledge. I'll be reading posts all day and night the next few weeks learning all that I can.

I'll switch to the 5x5's like you recommend. I will also only workout on Mon, Wed, Fri - and do carido only on those off days (tues, thur, sat) and leave Sunday as a full day of rest.

I never really thought of the cardio robbing me from the weight lifting, i mean i never feel tired after working out and usually not very sore at all the day after. but I'll take any additional improvements that i can with my lifting.

What about my pre and post workout meals? Is that enough?

The 1 scoop shake gives me:
    20g protein
    2.5g Lecucine
    166g L-Carnitine

Is that enough protein? Then I take another one of these after my work out. Should I do two servings after the work out to give me 40g protein, would that be helpful?

Also, is it a good idea to split them up like this or should I take all of it after the work out?

Rather than worrying about what to take and when, just focus on getting in at least your bodyweight, or target bodyweight, in grams of protein in one day. Example you weight 135 lbs, eat at least 135 gms of protein if not even 180 gms. Get some carbs in pre workout, fast acting or simple carbs would be fine. Drink something like gatorade whiel you work out. Shortly after you are done working about eat a meal or have a shake with soem protein in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoremac View Post
    I still have a lot of reading to do.
    Yes. Did you read the sticky that says "Before another person posts a Critique my Routine Thread"? That one kind of applies here. Your routine isn't very good.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Yes. Did you read the sticky that says "Before another person posts a Critique my Routine Thread"? That one kind of applies here. Your routine isn't very good.
    The problem with that sticky is that it's a sticky that says "Read the stickies." The target audience of the sticky is exactly the group of people who won't read it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bizbob View Post
    The problem with that sticky is that it's a sticky that says "Read the stickies."
    It says more than that. It

Did you try to search for your answer? Are you a beginner trying to make your own routine? Is what you are doing working for you?

That last question is probably the most important. If what you are doing is yielding results, who cares what others think about it.

I post this because we have had an influx of these routine critique threads and most of them wind up being terrible routines made by people who really don't have a clue. New guys, start reading and you will probably find the answers to most of your questions.

As for those who are just looking for affirmation that what they are doing is good, when it obviously isn't, don't be surprised when you are told your routine blows. We have a large contingent of great members here who know their stuff and aren't going to blow smoke up your behind.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well, I did the 5x5 workout yesterday - did uppers and lowers with no cardio. A little sore today but not bad. I was wondering your thoughts on doing cardio on the off days (tues/thurs/sat)? Will doing cardio on the bike hinder my gains from lifting on these off days?
    Last edited by mnoremac; 06-30-2009 at 10:56 AM.