Thread: I honestly think that I'm losing fat, but not muscle.

I honestly think that I'm losing fat, but not muscle.

I've been basically "recomping". I've been trying to get down to 175 (currently floating around 185 now), but I can't seem to do it. My daily caloric intake is pretty damn low too considering my activity level (under 2000 calories per day, usually even around 1700 or so). I eat very little carbs during the week, but I'm not very strict during the weekends (I rationalize it as being okay by telling myself that it's "carb loading"). I do drink on the weekends, but lately I've been drinking captain and diet cokes instead of beer or sugary mixed drinks.

Now, that being said about my 5-day/week strict diet, and 2-day not-so-strict diet, but still relatively healthy, I do have a desk job where I sit on my a** all day, but I train very hard in the gym 3 days/week, and I do MMA 3 days a week as well. MMA is AMAZING cardio. Sometimes my gym and MMA days are on the same day, but generally I'm training HARD 5 days a week in one way or another. If I do go to the gym on a non-MMA day, I do 8 HITT intervals on the elliptical at maximum resistance at the end of my training session.

I can honestly say that by doing what I'm doing, I am gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously, and I have been SERIOUSLY training for about 4 years now I think. I keep getting more and more cut looking, yet I remain at around 185 lbs. And I judge my level of "cutness" by my lower stomach fat too. It keeps getting smaller and smaller in that area.

Maybe I'm crazy, and just imagining things, and supposedly this is near impossible unless I was a noob, but I'm just judging by the mirror and the scale.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    have you gotten a body comp test?

Once when I was like 14 I did, lol. I just use the mirror and the scale as my guide.
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    It's not impossible to recompose, it's just less effective than bulking and cutting.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

The thing is, is that I have been attempting to cut down to 175. Originally my plan was to cut down to 185, and that was EASY to do once I started eating properly and doing the MMA. Now, these last 10 lbs. are a B****. I've gotten even stricter on my diet, and @ only around 1700 -1800 calories per day with my activity levels, I figured going any lower would be bordering starvation mode (which is no good). So for some reason, I think I'm recomping fairly quickly because I keep getting leaner, yet I remain the same weight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    The thing is, is that I have been attempting to cut down to 175. Originally my plan was to cut down to 185, and that was EASY to do once I started eating properly and doing the MMA. Now, these last 10 lbs. are a B****. I've gotten even stricter on my diet, and @ only around 1700 -1800 calories per day with my activity levels, I figured going any lower would be bordering starvation mode (which is no good). So for some reason, I think I'm recomping fairly quickly because I keep getting leaner, yet I remain the same weight.
    Try bumping up your cals with some extra fats. That's awfully low

Ya it is pretty low, but I'm still maintaining weight fo some reason. And ya, everytime I add extra cals it's from fat. I avoid more carbs, and I have plenty of protien.

I'm guessing you really have no idea what you're eating on the weekends.

If you do, post it so we can analyze it. I know when I'm drinking, I mix everything before the night begins and it's easy to tabulate the cals...and then once I'm danked people start handing me things...

Not judging bro, I host parties with live bands that go till 6am...I'm just saying...you could be getting 3-4k in cals on some of those nights...

Nah, I have an idea of what I'm eating on the weekends. I still eat well on the weekends, but I'm just not on my "eating routine" like I am during the week while I'm at work.

A typical saturday might look like this:

Wake up at 10 am:

2 scoops whey
    2 cups whole milk
    1 banana

10:30 - training session at the gym
    12:00 - protien shake from the gym (all protein, no carbs or fat in the drink)
    12:30 - MMA class

3:00 - something low carb/high protien (maybe a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette made with 3 eggs)

7:00 - something low carb/high protien again

8:00 till I pass out - a s***load of alcohol and p***y.

I usually drink captain and diet cokes all night.

When you say Captain do you mean Captain Morgan? When I drink it's usually vodka and diet coke is that about the same? All the dancing around while drinking must surely burn a few of the calories off? Even so I am trying to restrict drinking to once, every 2 weeks. Life would be too boring for me without drink at all.

Nah, I have an idea of what I'm eating on the weekends. I still eat well on the weekends, but I'm just not on my "eating routine" like I am during the week while I'm at work.

A typical saturday might look like this:

Wake up at 10 am:

2 scoops whey
    2 cups whole milk
    1 banana

10:30 - training session at the gym
    12:00 - protien shake from the gym (all protein, no carbs or fat in the drink)
    12:30 - MMA class

3:00 - something low carb/high protien (maybe a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette made with 3 eggs)

7:00 - something low carb/high protien again

8:00 till I pass out - a s***load of alcohol and p***y.

I usually drink captain and diet cokes all night.
    So what are your totals on the weekends?

I'm not sure, but considering it's only 2 days a week, I don't worry about it. I don't really count calories to be honest. I just go by the scale, and I try my best to eat right.

Yes, it's captain morgan. Vodka and diet coke would be the same as far as nutrition goes.

What does your food look like during the work week? Do you have the macro's broken down?

MA
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Banned
    I'm not sure, but considering it's only 2 days a week, I don't worry about it. I don't really count calories to be honest. I just go by the scale, and I try my best to eat right.

Yes, it's captain morgan. Vodka and diet coke would be the same as far as nutrition goes.
    Hittin up old city?

check out my sig, Arnolds Supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by MissAbs View Post
    What does your food look like during the work week? Do you have the macro's broken down?

MA
    Plugging stuff into my calculator thing that I made up, a typical day during the week is:

1765 cals
    220 g protien
    110 g carb
    50 g fat

I eat mostly meat, vegetables, bananas, whey protien (w/milk in the morning, w/water post workout). I avoid sugar, and starchy carbs. I'll eat a sandwich sometimes, usually turkey and cheese on rye bread. But generally, I try to get most of my cals from protien, fats, and fruit/veggie carbs.

I'm floatin around 180 now. Outside of my office job, I'm pretty damn active with lifting 3 days/week and MMA 3 days/week.

your 180 you do mma and weightlifting and you only eat that many calories? daaamn. How do you do it? Arent you drained?