Thread: What is the worst mistake you made on competition day?

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar

What is the worst mistake you made on competition day?

My worst mistake in 15 years is telling a friend before my 3rd attempt that I won't make the lift I almost talked myself out of a lift.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

WAAAAY over hydrating at 2008 WPC Worlds. I'd trained at an avg. of 293 for the last few weeks in equipment that was already pretty tight as a 275. I weighed 300 on meet mourning. Maybe the strongest I'd ever gone into a meet. I had so much trouble getting into briefs that I opened in just the briefs at 705. Then struggled into the suit and barely made the platform but couldn't hit depth with 903. Same thing with the shirt. I changed to a 314 raw opener and then fought too hard to touch and missed 617 on bench. I did deadlift well because I don't use a tight suit for it anyway. I won but it was a very hollow win leaving 500+ pounds on the table. I learned a hard lesson. To compete at about your training weight in agressive multi-ply equipment.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    WAAAAY over hydrating at 2008 WPC Worlds. I'd trained at an avg. of 293 for the last few weeks in equipment that was already pretty tight as a 275. I weighed 300 on meet mourning. Maybe the strongest I'd ever gone into a meet. I had so much trouble getting into briefs that I opened in just the briefs at 705. Then struggled into the suit and barely made the platform but couldn't hit depth with 903. Same thing with the shirt. I changed to a 314 raw opener and then fought too hard to touch and missed 617 on bench. I did deadlift well because I don't use a tight suit for it anyway. I won but it was a very hollow win leaving 500+ pounds on the table. I learned a hard lesson. To compete at about your training weight in agressive multi-ply equipment.
    I've done something similar...kept losing all my air before I'd get to the bar on deads because I was so bloated, LOL
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Taking too big of an opener was the worst mistake I have made!!!
    26 - 6'0"@183lbs http://www.youtube.com/user/Droll6683
    Squat - 295lbs
    Bench - 240lbs
    Deadlift - 430lbs
    Total: 965lbs

"If you lift Mickey Mouse poundage’s, all you’re going to get is a Mickey Mouse body." -Stuart McRobert
    "I know the true strength of a man is not in how much he can lift but how high he can lift others." -Dave Tate
    SFW!

Banned
    At the Jr. Nationals in denver the 14th of this month we were in the first flight of deadlift and I was next in line when I hear the announcer say "The bar is ready for "the guy before me" Oh.... he forgot his deadlift socks, he went on to deadlift it anyways, but it was red lighted for not having socks.....

I look down.....no deadlift socks..... I run to my bag, grab the socks, I yell real loud "anyone got a knife" no one does and my two handlers tell me to sit down and they take my shoes off, then my socks.... then the announcer says "BARS READY FOR JESSE HERNANDEZ" my left sock goes on, then my left shoe struggles on.... my right sock goes on and I hear "30 seconds left for JESSE HERNANDEZ" with a last shove... my right shoe goes on and I say **** it... dont tie them.... I run up to the platform quickly rub some chalk on my hands and a quick slap to the face look at the clock with 15 seconds left and pull my opener of 551 with ZERO form.....3 whites and 3 seconds to spare.
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 06-23-2009 at 05:30 PM.

I allowed someone else to hand out to me at a meet last year and it completely screwed me up. I will never do that again

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    At the Jr. Nationals in denver the 14th of this month we were in the first flight of deadlift and I was next in line when I hear the announcer say "The bar is ready for "the guy before me" Oh.... he forgot his deadlift socks, he went on to deadlift it anyways, but it was red lighted for not having socks.....

I look down.....no deadlift socks..... I run to my bag, grab the socks, I yell real loud "anyone got a knife" no one does and my two handlers tell me to sit down and they take my shoes off, then my socks.... then the announcer says "BARS READY FOR JESSE HERNANDEZ" my left sock goes on, then my left shoe struggles on.... my right sock goes on and I hear "30 seconds left for JESSE HERNANDEZ" with a last shove... my right shoe goes on and I say **** it... dont tie them.... I run up to the platform quickly rub some chalk on my hands and a quick slap to the face look at the clock with 15 seconds left and pull my opener of 551 with ZERO form.....3 whites and 3 seconds to spare.
    Jesse,

Now thats funny... Not at the time though right???

I had a similar incident at a bench meet in March. I'm in the warm-up room and thier calling my name "bar is loaded"... I was on the first flight in the 220's and I thought I was on the 2nd. My wife comes in the warm-up room and tells me "they're calling your name"! I'm like "What"??

I ran like he** to the platform, with seconds to spare. Missed the 1st attempt B/C I was so "out of sorts"... Got the 2nd and 3rd though!

Good stories everyone.

I havent done anything stupid yet (knock on wood), except wrap my knees way too early before a second squat attempt. Felt like I was walking on air with no blood in my feet.

Or being overhydrated and peeing every 15 minutes. This is particularly fun when you have a squat suit on.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Not counting the plates on my deadlifts.
    fyp
    I'm weak now, but not for long

My biggest mistake was 2008 UPA Nationals.

Never room with a hot chick cause youll be up all night banging her brains out!

So needless to say I missed my wake up call and didnt wake to the alarm and left my cell phone on vibrate and missed 3 calls from Jackass. Rules meeting was at 9am lifting started at 10am. I woke up at 10:30am and called Jackass and he said to just hurry and get my butt over to the meet. Walked in at 11am ran to the warm up room and found out I was in the 2nd flight of squats. I was only 8out when I got there. Did no warm-ups raw and went right into my briefs and suit. Took 225lbs for 5reps and 315lbs for 3reps and I was on deck. Ran to the front didnt have time for knee wraps and made my 777lb opener squat.

One crazy morning! But i will NEVER forget the night before HAHAHA
    Last edited by WILD BILL; 06-24-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    26yrs old, 6'2'' 300lbs
    I like Powerlifting, Strongman and Scottish Games
    Total 308's - 2353lbs PRO Total in SPF
    Total SHW's - 2402lbs
    Elite Total in UPA, APF, IPA and SPF - 308's and SHW
    Current lifts-------Goals-Aug 2011
    SQ-953------------SQ-1050
    BP-711------------BP-750
    DL-737------------DL-800
    Total-2402-------Total-2600

Forgetting to go to the toilet for a number 2 just before squats.
    Will never make that mistake again............
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Fire View Post
    fyp
    HAhah yea that one too. A 100lb PR woulda been nice.

(for those that dont know, my second deadlift attempt was misloaded to 511, when it should have been 440. Got it to my knees but no further)
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    HAhah yea that one too. A 100lb PR woulda been nice.

(for those that dont know, my second deadlift attempt was misloaded to 511, when it should have been 440. Got it to my knees but no further)
    hey detard I remember reading that in your journal... did they not give you a fourth attempt even though it was them who cocked up? lol.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Trying to handle my wife while we were both lifting at a smaller meet.... basically there was only one flight of squats. I was squatting heavy going at the end of the flight, she was competing RAW going much lighter at the beginning of the flight, so I'd do my squat attempt, snap my knee wraps loose to unwind them, stumble just off the platform, then fall onto the floor in my squat suit and wrap her knees so she could go do her attempt. I basically felt like a fat, out of breath, turtle for a couple of minutes after each attempt as I was trying to get back up off the floor and catch my breath. I messed up wrapping her knees on her second attempt too, so I got a cussing.

We probably won't ever do that again.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WILD BILL View Post
    My biggest mistake was 2008 UPA Nationals.

Never room with a hot chick cause youll be up all night banging her brains out!

So needless to say I missed my wake up call and didnt wake to the alarm and left my cell phone on vibrate and missed 3 calls from Jackass. Rules meeting was at 9am lifting started at 10am. I woke up at 10:30am and called Jackass and he said to just hurry and get my butt over to the meet. Walked in at 11am ran to the warm up room and found out I was in the 2nd flight of squats. I was only 8out when I got there. Did no warm-ups raw and went right into my briefs and suit. Took 225lbs for 5reps and 315lbs for 3reps and I was on deck. Ran to the front didnt have time for knee wraps and made my 777lb opener squat.

One crazy morning! But i will NEVER forget the night before HAHAHA
    The mistake wasnt taking a hot girl, it was missing your wake up call.

Manlaw 4 section B states that under any circumstances you must not blame the banging of (said) hot chick for any mistake or occurances that may or may not happen on the behalf of banging her for prolonged periods during the night.

As such, section C states that if you fail to meet the standard of this code, your manlaw card will be revoked until further hearing is set to determine the degree in which you broke the sacred manlaws.

There is, however such a bylaw that if you shout forgivness at this moment, and claim insansity by way of recieving V.A.G you may be deemed forgiven, asuming you immediatley eat a steak dinner and wash it down with a cold brew.

Anvil Power
    Dan, we were all amazed you got it that far. that was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisa1 View Post
    Dan, we were all amazed you got it that far. that was pretty sweet.
    Haha yea it was pretty entertaining to watch the video.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

In my first meet I beat the press command on my opener but it felt super light, so I decided to take my 2nd attempt at a higher weight and missed ended up bombing.

In my first meet last year I was still trying to digest the entire experience when I heard my name called (on deck) and it suprised me. I ran to get my knee wraps & hustled back to start wrapping my knees when I realized I had grabbed a knee wrap and a wrist wrap. It was actually an ice breaker for me because I started laughing - called myself a dumba** & hit my opener.

Now I am competing this weekend and Famous Daves is catering the event. Chances are decent that I am going to be burping up some pulled pork sandwhich during my bench attempts - and hopfully there won't be any accidents during my DL attempts.

What a great thread - a man law reference, guys crapping their pants, no socks, and Wild Bill doing some dynamic flexibility work - all night. Awesome.

Not going to the bathroom before putting on a squat suit.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iron4Life
    #1.. Not packing/forgetting the right competition day stuff.. and having to run around on competition day borrowing stuff...
    But thanks to other competitors, I had everything I needed...

#2.. too much caffiene... always read the labels...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    The mistake wasnt taking a hot girl, it was missing your wake up call.

Manlaw 4 section B states that under any circumstances you must not blame the banging of (said) hot chick for any mistake or occurances that may or may not happen on the behalf of banging her for prolonged periods during the night.

As such, section C states that if you fail to meet the standard of this code, your manlaw card will be revoked until further hearing is set to determine the degree in which you broke the sacred manlaws.

There is, however such a bylaw that if you shout forgivness at this moment, and claim insansity by way of recieving V.A.G you may be deemed forgiven, asuming you immediatley eat a steak dinner and wash it down with a cold brew.
    Nice! Now I need to set things up so I've got the perfect right timing to pop that one out for my wife to enjoy too........
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

forgetting my singlet... brought a tight z-suit I was squatting in and mistook it for it before I left. Ended up borrowing someones that was a med or large and way too small. Now I keep one in my trunk.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

At a national championship I was deadlifting and got so psyched that when I
    got to lockout I fell off the stage backwards. I went to brace myself against the
    wall behind the stage and it wasnt a wall, it was a curtain. I fell right through the
    curtain off the stage.