The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Crossfit and 5/3/1?

G'day Guys and Gals,

Currently looking to up my strength a bit whilst doing Crossfit and had 5/3/1 recommended to me as it's fairly low volume / simple. I'll be doing it 3 days a week with Squat / DL / Press (not much of a bencher...).

I'll be doing the program after my normal WOD though I may change it up and do it before hand sometimes (especially if it won't effect my WOD time much). I'll try to stick to a set program (e.g. Monday -Sq, Wed - Press, Sat - DL) but may change the days around a bit depending on what's been worked in the WOD.

My question specifically is about whether or not you think I should do any assistance work? I'd like to do Bent Rows probably as I have trouble maintaining a solid back for my heavier DL's but aside from that I'm not too sure. Rows would probably be put on after Press.

*EDIT*
    Hmm also reading WSFSB, DeFranco states that it's a program for Athletes as well...
    Any opinions on perhaps which one would be more suitable? WSFSB does seem to have a larger volume in comparison to 5/3/1 but I'm 20, I eat a fair bit and I sleep 8 hours a night so I think my recovery is currently as good as it will ever be (bar pharmacological assistance).
    Last edited by tomv; 06-29-2009 at 04:30 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeFranco recently started to use the 5/3/1 principle with his athletes on the main lift of the day for WS4SB, just as an FYI
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Hmmm what's the "5/3/1" principe? I hate to sound simple but unfortunately I can't buy the e-book atm (I'm pretty badly in debt with and have only just got a full time job, every penny is being saved). Do you mean that on his main lift of the day, over a 4 week cycle he will follow the same progressions as Wendlers 5/3/1?

That is to say
    First week Main lift will be 3x5
    Second week main lift will be 3x3
    Third week 5/3/1
    Fourth week Deload?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

According to what I've read on this forum, yes.

The source of the information was DeFranco's blog. Check it out
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    tomv - do you have the 5/3/1 book? If not, what are you basing your lifts on?

I could see doing 1-2 crossfit workouts per week with 5/3/1, or you could always just come up with a custom program to fit your specific needs.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

@TomM

No mate I unfortunately can't afford to get the book at the moment, though as soon as I'm in the black I'll be purchasing a copy. The knowledge I have of the program has been derived from reading forum posts as well as people's journals who are doing the program.
    My Journal

I would recommend either trying CrossFit Football (crossfitfootball.com) as they have strength stuff (on the right) AND heavy MetCon stuff OR looking up the CrossFit Strength Bias
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    I would recommend either trying CrossFit Football (crossfitfootball.com) as they have strength stuff (on the right) AND heavy MetCon stuff OR looking up the CrossFit Strength Bias
    I've read CFSB King and decided to do supplement strength work as opposed to changing programming entirely. I've chosen this as I feel I perform far better when I can compete with others (by going my gym's normal programming) and I've also seen a number of crossfitters use this approach successfully.
    My Journal

I use a hybrid of 5-3-1, CFE and CF...You know where to find me.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Rippetoe recommends 2 days CF 2 days lifting. (Practical Programming)
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 06-29-2009 at 07:50 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!