The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Glute tightness

Glute tightness

I have been working on hamstring flexibility for a few weeks now with some significant progress. I am much more flexible. a few days ago, I started feeling some tightness in the upper area of my left glute only when doing day to day activities. I ignored it. Its been about 4 days and its still there. i mention the ham flexibility because I have been doing a lot of stretching daily and I can't help but think i might have slightly pulled something.

it is not painful in nature. it feels tight and strained. the tension is only present when I am performing day to day stuff (e.g., bending over to pickup a dog toy, stand up and sit down). if i am maintaining an arch when squatting, deading or doing the above activities, i dont really feel it. what do you guys think i can do to resolve this? suggestions?

edit: also, accompanying this stretching I've been doing, I changed my squat stance from high bar shoulder width (feet parallel) to more of an olympic squat. other than that its been business as usual
    Last edited by twm; 06-21-2009 at 06:52 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

twm, maybe try this stretch and see if it helps... I've found that it has helped be recover from squats and deads and anytime I get any tightness really loosens it up for the better... I use it when ever my sciatic nerve flares up too... I do this as part of my pre-training ritual

Video

good luck!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

i used a foam roller doing that movement for about 10-15m

left glute is significantly tighter.. unsuprising I guess. i'll keep at it and see how things unfold.

Foam rollers are too soft for me... probably you too. Try a PVC pipe or tennis ball. Roll 2x a day and stretch afterward. Hydration is also a must, especially during and after hard rolling.
    Sarvamangalam!

I like doing that first position he is in and then lay on my back and pull my leg back towards me.

Say your right leg is the one at a 90 degree angle crossing your body, you would pull on your left leg.

Two places you should look:

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/04/...-strength.html

Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

If skipping straight to a racquet ball or PVC pipe is too much, they make the stiffer foam rollers. I bought mine off of EliteFTS for like 30 bucks.

Off-topic question: To those that do foam roll regularly (pre- and post- workout, and other points) about how long do you do it for?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

OK.. I've been foam rolling and stretching with literally zero improvement in the feeling of strain in my left glute/lower back. it feels better for about 5 minutes after i finish stretching then immediately returns to the discomfort. this is pissing me off and it does affect my sleeping -- never had a lingering discomfort before. is there anything further i can do? is it possible this could be a minor tear without site-related symptoms (e.g., swelling, bruising, etc)?
    Last edited by twm; 06-26-2009 at 04:45 AM.

I've posted a lot of links lately on lower back pain - some of them were pretty good...

I haven't seen you stretch but, if you're like a lot of people, you might be flexing the lower back while doing hamstring stretches, taking some of the stress off of the hamstrings and glutes and throwing it onto the lumbar.

Right now, you'd probably be better off with some ice and rest than trying to improve it with stretching. Give it a week and then, if it's feeling better, start back slowly.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

yeah probably a good call to ice it.. however, there is no back bend in my stretching. i've been making it a conscious effort to maintain a flat/arched back while stretching confirmed via mirror. ty

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Do the yoga thing where your back is on the floor and your thrusting you hips into the air.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    i used a foam roller doing that movement for about 10-15m

left glute is significantly tighter.. unsuprising I guess. i'll keep at it and see how things unfold.
    I was going to upload the same video. The lacrosse ball is much better on the glutes than the foam roller imo. I can really get in there and get the knots.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member

Flexing while stretching

I have found that PNF stretching allows me to make gains in flexibility that "stick".

While passive stretching definitely works, I have found that because PNF stretching requires you to flex the muscle while it's under a stretch, for some reason it keeps my new level of flexibility for days or weeks afterward, while passive stretching seems to "go away" pretty quickly and I return to my old level of flexibility.

You can find lots of info on Google about PNF stretching so I won't go into details here but once I incorporated PNF in my routine, I don't have to spend nearly as much time stretching as I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by huskybear View Post
    twm, maybe try this stretch and see if it helps... I've found that it has helped be recover from squats and deads and anytime I get any tightness really loosens it up for the better... I use it when ever my sciatic nerve flares up too... I do this as part of my pre-training ritual

Video
    That's awesome advice. One thing I've learned is that an imbalance in flexibility with quads/hams/hip flexors/etc... can cause major problems. Don't only stretch out the hams without working the entire area.