The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

new here, need advice

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here goes anyways.

I'm about 5'5" and weight around 120 lbs. I am primarily a cross country runner and last year I also took up wrestling, and I'm not too bad at it. I am very skinny, only 7% body fat. I want to get a bit more bulked so I can wrestle in the 130 weight class at my school. I have used whey protein and muscle milk to try and get more mass, but nothing has worked to well. I run every day, and I burn around 4,000 calories daily. Is it possible to get more bulk while I run every day? I lift for running, but not so much for wrestling. what exercises would i benefit most from for wrestling? are there any that could help for both? and what types of supplements should i be taking and how?
    Thanks a lot for any information

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

All that running is definately going to hinder muscle gains. You'll be asking your body to do two totally seperate/opposite things at the same time.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    I have strong forearms, shoulders, and a decent core from running, but my neck, traps, and general upper body is lacking for when it comes to wrestling. I normally do hammer curls for my forearms, but I have also been doing more bicep curls, but I can't really see much difference. What can I do to build more muscle faster and get some results? Is there anything that I might be doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by TAftw View Post
    I have been doing bicep curls, ... Is there anything that I might be doing wrong?
    Trying to get bigger by doing curls...that would be considered wrong.
    Try Squats, Chinups, and Bar Dips for starters.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    I do chin ups, but like I said, my upper body is pretty pathetic haha. I generally stay away from squatting because I've had problems with my knees on and off over the years. Is there anything else I can do for my neck or traps?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I do chin ups, but like I said, my upper body is pretty pathetic haha. I generally stay away from squatting because I've had problems with my knees on and off over the years. Is there anything else I can do for my neck or traps?
    I completely shattered my knee and had rehab for 3 years and had to learn to walk again and I'm still doing squats. What kind of knee problems are you having?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig New Member
    They havent been too bad for the most part, but I really strained my left one when I ran a few miles downhill on pavement. Running on the hard surface compressed the muscles under my kneecap and really laid me out for a while, I couldnt run for the rest of the season and had a hard time walking for a week. Every so often I need to throw on an ice pack, but it's nothing major. I do dumbell squats, but nothing with a ton of weight, I just don't feel too safe about it.

If you are working out to help with wrestling I would do lots of shrugs, pull-ups, and inner back work. Your arms aren't to important but if you want to work them to look good do hammer and open faced curls (alternate) for about 4 sets of 10-12. Wrestling is all back and core. Do a lot of pull-Ups and Crunches.
    Last edited by Rip.66.; 06-30-2009 at 08:01 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    They havent been too bad for the most part, but I really strained my left one when I ran a few miles downhill on pavement. Running on the hard surface compressed the muscles under my kneecap and really laid me out for a while, I couldnt run for the rest of the season and had a hard time walking for a week. Every so often I need to throw on an ice pack, but it's nothing major. I do dumbell squats, but nothing with a ton of weight, I just don't feel too safe about it.
    Well you need to stop being afraid of the exercise. Learn proper technique and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I used to be terrified of the squat. Now I can't imagine NOT doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip.66. View Post
    If you are working out to help with wrestling I would do lots of shrugs, pull-ups, and inner back work. Your arms aren't to important but if you want to work them to look good do hammer and open faced curls (alternate) for about 4 sets of 10-12. Wrestling is all back and core. Do a lot of pull-Ups and Crunches.
    If wrestling is "all back and core" he should be focusing on compound movements... not curls.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-01-2009 at 01:24 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Back and Core...sounds like a job for the Deadlift.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal