The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fat guy gpp

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Did this GPP style workout last night. Very simple and all you need is some dumbbells and some space

4 circuits with 90 sec rests (obviously adjust weight and volume to your preference)

For this circuit, we used 1 x 25K dumbbell and 2 x 22.5KG dumbbells

10 front squats (holding a 25KG dumbbell)
    run the 25K dumbell 30M
    run back 30M
    run the 22.5K dumbell 30M
    run back 30M
    run the 22.5K dumbell 30M
    run back 30M
    where did you do this? outside? on a basketball court? did you hold the dumbbell on your shoulder or waist high?
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Just to throw an idea around. Sprint (or jog) with a weighted vest. Say from 25, 50, ... to 100 lbs?

That's my plan in the immediate future

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    where did you do this? outside? on a basketball court? did you hold the dumbbell on your shoulder or waist high?
    The gym I go to has an inside 30M sprint track.

I hold the dumbell with two hands up high, against my chest (imagine the top part of a curl)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

try some kettle bells and sand bag work vinny..both are BRUTAL and very adaptable to pretty much anything. Alot of my PL'n clients use them and it definately is paying dividends.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

This is an awesome thread. I wish my GF would let me use her for more GPP workouts

I sawed down a couple trees in my back yard, one softwood (white pine) and one hardwood (hickory). I have them at the same lengths, and did some calculations to get an idea for the weights. I've screwed boards to the end so they don't wobble back and forth as bad when i flip them.

The very lightest of the trunks I can pick up and lay across my back for lunges, I usually remember to swap ends. (not a perfect cylinder)

I really should put up a video.
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

Wannabebig Member
    Love this thread just want to throw this out there would cutting grass with a pushmower and bagging it be a form of gpp I ask because i would love to be able to justify in my mind that I am helping my lifting by cutting grass

Wannabebig Member
    I'm with Sensei on this, do what you don't hate.
    Walking with a weighted vest is always simple and gets the HR up a bit. I sometimes take this to a different level, I'll wear the vest throughout a workout - not on a heavy day though. Will also wear it cleaning my apartment or car, just to add a level of difficulty.
    So IMHO powerpeppiness, cutting the grass could be GPP but I think you'd need to throw a weight vest on.

The weight vest is a staple of my gpp when I'm not 320 like I am now. I'm my own weight vest. I have a 20lb and a 40lb vest at the house. We need two at my house because both the wifey and I use them. They are great to just walk around in. You can do all kinds of bodyweight exercises with them on. Lunges, split squats, and box jumps are also really good forms of gpp to do with them. Check ebay regularly and you can usually find a good deal on them. They can run expensive if you don't shop around.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I'm going to start taking the EliteFTS rickshaw out side and doing alternate runs with it and our 600lbs tire, I REALLY need to do some more stuff other than sled dragging - which I've been neglecting too!

Here is a cool carry workout I did last night.

• Overhead carry with olympic bar (40KG) for 60M
    • One handed 22.5KG dumbell suitcase carry for 60M (30M each hand)
    • One handed 12.5KG dumbell overhead carry for 60M (30M each hand)
    • Two handed 22.5KG/12.5KG dumbell carry (suitcase and overhead) for 60M (30M each hand)
    • Farmers Walk with an Olympic bar (40KG) in each hand (parallell and each side to my body)
    • Dumbell Shuttle run 30M run and 30M dumbell carry x 3 (2 x 22.5KG, 1 x 12.5KG)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post

Today I tossed a medicine ball against a wall. As it rolled back (I tossed it hard) I squatted down, picked it up, and threw it again. I did 2 sets of 20 and this was right after 20 minutes on the treadmill, so I was breathing a little heavy. It served its purpose.
    If I recall correctly, Tate and Wendler suggest something very similar...especially for bigger guys. Their take on it is to go outside and throw a medicinie ball out as far as you can...walk over and pick it up and throw it again...do this for 20 - 30 minutes.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx View Post
    If I recall correctly, Tate and Wendler suggest something very similar...especially for bigger guys. Their take on it is to go outside and throw a medicinie ball out as far as you can...walk over and pick it up and throw it again...do this for 20 - 30 minutes.
    I probably stole the idea from them. There's no original ideas anymore. After being around as long as I have it's hard to remember where I learned what.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    I'm going to start taking the EliteFTS rickshaw out side and doing alternate runs with it and our 600lbs tire, I REALLY need to do some more stuff other than sled dragging - which I've been neglecting too!
    Man, the tire flips sucked. I even used the smallest tire (300lbs), and after 10 fast flips my throat was burning. The Rickshaw runs were good fun thought! Only had 220lbs on top of it, but my traps got something out of it.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Neat to know that other fat guys are doing this stuff too......... I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment on this as I have just dropped under the 300# mark and am not sure if I'm considered fat any more

I've been lucky to be at Jakked gym, where there are a bunch of strongman competitors and all the neat implements to play with

I've been doing :

the prowler

weight sled ( or a car) with the harness

kettlebell tosses ( like a clean but with more follow-through)

tire flips to 650#

sand bag stuff ( squats and carries)

.... and I think I've been gaining greater GPP through osmosis just by watching the strongman and highland guys train

I did this today after my work out, and it felt pretty damn good...

I used a 20lb dumbbell, but I started very conservatively. I'd recommend a 1/8, 1/6, 1/5 or if you are bad ass 1/4 of your body weight for the dumbbell.

5 snatches each arm, 5 swings each arm, 5 burpees. One minute rest. Repeat 3-5 times.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."