The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Power pants + strongman

Would power pants hinder events other than say a squatting event? Or would they help in things like farmers walk, tire flips, etc...

thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm not a strongman pro but I'll give it a shot. Maybe the guru's here will chime in .
    Powerpants are to give you tightness in the hips, glutes and quads. They are a help on squats, not a hindrance. They might be an asset on tire flips but they would not be good for anything that required speed and forward motion, like farmers walk.

Again, just a guess on my part.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PL1986 View Post
    Would power pants hinder events other than say a squatting event? Or would they help in things like farmers walk, tire flips, etc...

thanks
    Some guys wear them, but most just go with warm pants (neoprene - Rehband). What you gain in stability with the power pants you lose in mobility. The warm pants still give you some support and keep your muscles warm without having a negative impact on mobility.

I would not recommend purchasing the Power Pants but if you already have a pair you can give them a try to see how you like them.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom, how about just a pair of PL briefs? Tight in the hips, but no legs on them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    Tom, how about just a pair of PL briefs? Tight in the hips, but no legs on them at all.
    Groove Briefs?

I know of one guy who wears them but he also wears warm pants over them. In terms of lower body support equipment I would say that out of the guys who wear lower body supports over 90% of them are using Rehband/Vulkan/other warm pants. The other 10% are wearing compression shorts (Under Armor/Nike/Etc.).

The warm pants can be a bit expensive (the Rehbands are over $50) but they will last you for years and are a good investment.

Thanks Tom.
    I'm so out of the loop on strongman that it never even crossed my mind that you guys might wear supportive undergarments. PL1986 got me curious.

Wannabebig New Member
    do you think they would have any benefit to a car deadlift or trap bar deadlift for reps event?

Powerpants or groove briefs are used like a spring. When you squat down, you push against them like you are loading up a tight spring. You have to fight the briefs to get down without them pushing you of position.
    When you shift direction they act as a spring, to drive (spring) you out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by PL1986 View Post
    do you think they would have any benefit to a car deadlift or trap bar deadlift for reps event?
    Does the contest allow squat suits?

Power pants could be beneficial for those events; I would just check with the promoter to make sure that they are allowed before you start using them in training. Also, never change something up on game day - practice how you compete.