Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat guy gpp

Fat guy gpp

I'm a big guy and I am not always in the mood for gpp. However, I know being a bigger guy I need to get moving on occasion. Well some days I am more motivated that others. I figured I'd start a thread with what might be considered some easier gpp workouts albeit a little oxymoronic.

Today I tossed a medicine ball against a wall. As it rolled back (I tossed it hard) I squatted down, picked it up, and threw it again. I did 2 sets of 20 and this was right after 20 minutes on the treadmill, so I was breathing a little heavy. It served its purpose.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Looking forward to this...keep posting your new ideas.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Oh, I forgot the first of my fat guy series gpp exercises, the medicine ball toss. I would just throw the medicine ball, walk after it, pick it up, and repeat. This is another great way to get moving without having to exert too much effort. Of course there are times when I complete 20 tosses and then times when I'm more motivated and do 50. That's the cool thing about fat guy gpp, it can be as easy or hard as you want. A word of caution, change your throws. The first time I tried this I did all overhead tosses. The next day I had such horrible bicep tendonitis. Now I'll throw overhead, underhand, chest pass, one handed, two handed, with variations and combinations of all.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Depending on your surrounds Vin you may also want to try Wall Balls, which sound very similar to what you're doing already.

Hold the ball in front of you like a "Goblet Squat". Squat down to parallel or so and then explode back up throwing the ball as high as possible on to a wall. The ball should pretty much fall right back down to you making it a bit easier to repeat the repetitions. You only need to stand say 2-3 feet away from the wall for this one.

You could try a light sandbag circuit as well. You're a pretty strong bloke (duh) so I've no idea what sort of weight would be appropriate but say you will use a 95lb sandbag.
    You could then try something like this:
    Bearhug squats x 10-20 reps
    Shoulder the bag and walk 20 yards
    Push Press x 10-20 reps
    Carry the bag in a Zercher hold for 20 yards
    Drop it then shoulder it again x 10 reps
    I reckon you'll be wheezing pretty hard after this.

Some light tyre flips as well, obviously at a weight where you can flip it and get gassed before your strength saps.

Kettlbell swings / snatches

Hope these ideas help.
    Last edited by tomv; 07-02-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Great post tomv. I have seen the wall balls, but don't have a spot at the house to do them. I do have a tire, but that's when I am very motivated. I have farmers handles and a sled also. I used to do sandbags, but my biceps cannot handle picking them up. I have one that was torn and repaired. The other is on its way out. I also have a small stone, but that tears my biceps up also. I let my wife use it. What can I say, I'm a giver.

Now the kb swings are great. I am the master of the light kb swing. I like anything I can do in my basement because it's nice and cool down there.

Hey Vin,

I'm the same, I tend to hold on to fat incredibly easy and have started doing GPP work in the last 5-6 weeks to get me moving around and breathing hard. I love it.. 40 mins of weights, followed by 20 mins of tough GPP and I am ready to drop and I feel I've had the best of both worlds.

I found the most important thing was to be consistent with it. Your capacity will increase and very quickly if you are consistently doing GPP and are uppin the volume or weights each time you do it. It doesn't need to be a huge amount and it doesn't have to be veery week, but as with anything where you are looking to improve, you have to keep pushing yourself on a regular basis to work beyond what feels comfortable.

In reality, I HATE it. I really do hate it. The only thing I like about it is that it is a healthy thing to be doing and that it is getting me lean. Everything else I hate but I just get my head down and crank it out because theres just no other damn way.. Oh, and I have some guy that's much bigger than me shouting at me to not be a slacker, that helps lol

A few things I do as part of a circuit which you could do standalone.

Squat and push press with ball - basically hold the ball with both hands at shoulder height in a squat position and then squat and explode up, pushing the ball into the air as high as you can. When it falls to the floor and bounces up, grab and repeat. I normally do 12 or so as part of a ciicuit.

Ball Slams - Same starting position but raise the ball over your head and slam it into the ground as hard as you can. It'll bounce up and then catch it about mid way on the way down and slam it into the floor again. 12 or so reps again as part of a circuit.

Farmer Walks - these are a killer.. Either with dumbells or sometimes I use olympic bars in each hand.

Here are a few circuits which I do which you could try... Just adjust weight and volume accordingly:

2 laps of the following circuit:

• sled dragging in car pack - 4 lengths (2 with 50kg and then 1 with 30KG backwards and 1 with 30KG normal)
    • Squat and push with ball x 10 (basically squatting with a ball and then pushing it high into the air)
    • Carry a 32.5kg dumbell to end of car park and run back
    • Ball Slams into floor x 10
    • Run to end of car park and bring 32.5k dumbell back
    • Resisted run to end of car park (Trainer behind me with a band)

3 laps of the folliwing circuit:

(all done on a 30m track).

• 25KG overhead barbell carry (up and back - 60m total)
    • one arm dumbell by side carry with 27.5KG dumbell (up and back wth each hand - 60m total)
    • one arm overhead dumbell carry with 10KG dumbell (up and back wth each hand - 60m total)
    • one arm overhead and one arm side carry with 27.5KG and 10KG dumbell (up and back with each hand - 60m total)
    • turkish get ups 2 on each side with the 27.5KG dumbell

The other thing you could do is just stack some exercises together and do a circuit. The weight shouldn't be heavy..

So perhaps.

Squats x 10
    Chins x 6-10
    ball slams x 10
    etc etc

Doing these back to back gets really hard!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I'm all for simplicity when it comes to fat man GPP (I love that title btw). Do what you don't hate. My favorite exercises for general conditioning:

*walking
    *kettlebell swings
    *sandbag carries
    *sled pulling/pushing
    *farmers walk
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I see an article in the making - fat man gpp

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

I'm not a fat man by ANY means, but I think this would work well for a fat man: rope pulling. Attach like 100 pounds to a rope and haul it like 50 yards or so (pulling it hand over hand not dragging it). Then run (walk?) the rope back down the length and haul it again. Keep doing that and you will be worked.

Also sledgehammer strikes have been working me the **** over.

Banned
    Prowler...

That thing is demon spawn, but a helluva tool.

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    Prowler...

That thing is demon spawn, but a helluva tool.
    Quoted for truth.

I was setting up the prowler yesterday for the football team and one of the seniors walks up to it, stares down and said "Well hello Satan"

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig New Member

Fat Man workin' it

Things I like:

Stadiums (walking) at local football field
    Rope undulations - loop a 50 foot 1.5 to 2 inch rope around a tree and make waves...sound easy? If you do it right it isn't.
    Speed walking - only when nobody else is around, really, this looks stupid.
    Heavy bag -
    Fireman's carries - my girlfriend is about 130, toss her over the shoulder for
    a hundred yards, walk back and do it again
    Sandbag carries - similar to above without laughter
    Sled work - Frontwards, backwards, sideways. Just get the 100 yards.
    Medicine ball slams - I've got a 16 and a 30 pounder .Again, usually 100 yards up and back,
    Hiking in the hills - get good shoes and walk with some speed, take water.
    Walking against current in stream - About waist deep water is best.
    Sledgehammer - I've got a 12 and a 16, alternate sides every swing and hit the tire 40x total for three sets after I crawl out of bed.
    4Runner pushing - discourage your partner from unexpected braking.

That's about it, mix them up to keep it interesting and shoot for three times a week.

Best,
    Brian

I hate cardio too. It's just so boring. But GPP can be fun...
    Once a week I do sled dragging, and sometimes I'll throw in stone carries and a wheelbarrow/loading medley.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Great responses everyone. I don't necessarily think I'm fat. I'm just big! I see fat people move around a lot easier than I do. I just feel better when I move around and gpp is the only way I don't mind doing it.

By the way, the prowler is the worst thing in the world. I pushed the low handles about 100' down and 100' back. I thought I was fine, but by the time I got a few steps away from the prowler I thought my lungs were going to collapse. I could not believe how punishing it was. I wish I had one at the house.

Do you have one at the gym?

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Do you have one at the gym?
    Yeah, but I only go to the gym once a week and I don't do gpp on training days.

so "fat" guy GPP would be anything that works that doesn't require you to move your own body around too much. So like sledgehammer tire strikes would be ideal (right?).

The antithesis (opposite) or fat guy GPP would be your walking lunges, I guess.

I am surprised no one mentioned tire flipping! I don't mind doing this.

Seeing as I hate running this is a good thread for me. I am going to try this stuff out!

BTW Fat man GPP is a great idea for an article!
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

Great thread guys.

Lots of straight forward ways to get fitter!

Sandbag flipping is fun with a heavy enough bag.
    Firemans carry for distance is awesome too.
    Sandbag bearhug walking.

There are loads more but these are my favourite!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

I miss my sand bag. Mine busted open. I really need to make a new one with more duct tape.

My favorite sandbag GPP was:

Clean and press until tired out
    Then shouldering it until tired out
    Then squatting for the last few brutal reps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

What do you use for your sandbags Off Road? Contractor bags (double bagged) inside of an Army duffle bag work pretty well if you haven't tried it already.

the prowler, car pushing, stones, tire flipping, etc. - in other words, strongman events, are all fun things for general conditioning. I've never been big on hitting tires, but it would be great too.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    What do you use for your sandbags Off Road?
    I was using one of those big kayaking dry bags. It was holding up pretty good and I always meant to duct tape it. But one day I dropprd it and it blew open. I cleaned it up and always meant to replace it but never got around to it.

I do have a tombstone that I use for carries and stuff. It weighs about 125 lbs. It even has someone's name carved in it. I try to carry it at night so not to scare the neighbors
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    I recently found a good GPP exercise. When I can find someone willing to participate, I play catch with a 45 pound punching bag. It's bottom heavy so you have to grab and catch it in the right spot, and I switch up the ways that I throw it, because like vdizenzo said about his medicine ball toss, the first time I did it I mostly threw it one way, and had bicep tendonitis on one arm for a couple days after.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

Did this GPP style workout last night. Very simple and all you need is some dumbbells and some space

4 circuits with 90 sec rests (obviously adjust weight and volume to your preference)

For this circuit, we used 1 x 25K dumbbell and 2 x 22.5KG dumbbells

10 front squats (holding a 25KG dumbbell)
    run the 25K dumbell 30M
    run back 30M
    run the 22.5K dumbell 30M
    run back 30M
    run the 22.5K dumbell 30M
    run back 30M