Thread: Started to power clean, lacking flexibility?

Wannabebig Member

Started to power clean, lacking flexibility?

Hello Gents,

I have just moved onto SS which incorporates the power clean, started with very low weight ( 90 lbs ) just to practice my form.

I've found that once ive "cleaned" and bring the bar to the front of my shoulder im finding it hard to bring my elbows up, my wrists are too rigid and I think the same is happening with my elbows. My wrist was quite sore by the end and a bit stiff.

Will this fix itself with time? Could it be down to form? Are there exercises that I can do to help this?

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

In starting strength there are a few ways shown to stretch the wrists/shoulders.

Make sure you are warming up the areas before the exercise as well. After warming up you can practice holding the bar in the catch position and actively trying to bring your elbows up. Sounds simple but I've found it to be one of the most effective stretches.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    The clean is one of those exercises that can be broken up into it's pieces.

Try de-racking the weight in a front squat-clean grip. Get used to the bar resting on your shoulders. You'll find that after you "catch" the bar, you're not really holding on to it at all, it's just sitting on the "rack" that you've made with your shoulders. If your elbows are dropped, so will the bar unless you're gripping it (which is not a front squat-clean grip position).

Also, just work on front squatting with a clean grip. Over time your wrists will be flexible enough. If it helps, just use 2-3 fingers under the bar until you can get all four.

Good suggestions above about how to improve flexibility.

Also, keep in mind that in the rack position you don't need to grip the bar the same way you do as you pull it off the floor. The bar should be resting on your shoulders, so you only need to hold the bar with 2-3 fingers on each hand. Once you get the top of your triple extension you can essentially let go of the bar (don't actually let go, though, keep your hands in contact with the bar, you just don't really have to be pulling it up) and catch it in the rack position with just a couple of fingers.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 07-03-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks chaps I will try what you have suggested, I suppose I could even do some exercises at home with a broom stick or something to get more flexibility.

Also this makes me think I need to work on the "rack position" on the front of my shoulders. I have been reluctant to do front squats due to not being able to hold the bar right, do you guys find you have to force the bar into the front of your throat?

Thanks

The bar may rest on the front of your throat but you shouldn't have to "force" it there. As long as it's not cutting off your air flow it's probably okay.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur