The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

5/3/1 and Complexes

Got a quick question for all of you:

I love the 5/3/1 workout. I'm getting stronger (even while on a cut [although now I'm more at maintenence than anything]). But it's getting stale. I have a really bad habit of sticking with a workout for 8 weeks only to get bored with it and move on to the next one.

I should also note that I absolutely hate doing cardio as far as steady state. I can stand to do sprints a little bit and stadium stairs and tire flips and tire tosses and those kinds of things, but really, those aren't much fun either.

A week ago, I did the 300 workout just for the hell of it, and I loved it. I felt great after I did it. Which led me to do some research on complexes.

Is there any good way to keep the 5/3/1 program with maybe one assistance exercise (heavy weight, anyways) and add in barbell complexes? Obviously I'd remain light, but this would be something that would challenge me and really make me value the conditioning aspect of a workout...

Something about doing a complex makes me actually feel like I'm getting stronger (even if I'm not by much) rather than wasting away doing cardio. Has anyone toyed with this kind of training before?

I'm sure I'd be completely gassed after each workout and I'd probably want to raise my cals a bit...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: I wasn't sure where to put this. This forum seemed to make the most sense because it involved complexes and weight training, but it could have went into GPP and Sport Specific as well. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
    Last edited by KoSh; 07-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've never done 5/3/1...nor have I mixed complexes with other programs. But, I have done complexes in the past to try and mix conditioning with getting stronger [with varying results]. My favorite was one of the old York courses. If you are progressive, there is no reason you can't get a lot stronger doing it. I've posted it before, but here it is again:

[York] Simplified System of Barbell Training (Better Athletes Through Weight Training version)
    (One set:10-15 reps on each exercise)

Warm-upÖLight Power Snatch
    1. Barbell Curls
    2. Standing Behind Neck Barbell Presses
    3. Upright Rowing
    4. Standing Barbell Side Bend
    5. Barbell Clean and Press
    6. High Pulls (Clean or Snatch Grip)
    7. Deep Knee Bend and Press Behind Neck
    8. Power Snatches
    9. Standing Barbell Press
    10. Barbell Bent-Over Row
    11. Deadlift
    12. Squat

Notes:
    Note - Deep Knee Bend & Press Behind Neck Ė Position bar behind neck, go down to a full squat, when you start to rise press the weight overhead (almost a behind the neck push press as you come out of the squat).

Whole program is done standing on your feet. Try to use the same weight for the first four exercises. Then add weight and use the same weight for the second four exercises. The exercises are grouped together to reduce weight changes. Add weight to each of the last four exercises.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

That looks badass, OR.

I'm not sure how long I'll last with a mixed routine... I may even just eliminate any assistance work on "complex" days and just do my main lift and then the complexes. The Deep Knee Bend and Press Behind Neck sounds freakin' awesome too. This really looks like something I could enjoy doing a whole hell of a lot.

Thanks for the reply, man. Very constructive!
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method