The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat Critique (and depth check)

So I competing in 2 weeks and i dont get to spend anytime squatting with powerlifters (just my bench work on fridays).

First off, i just want to make sure these are good depth for an IPF competition. I haven't competed there before but i hear the judging at this one is pretty strict and they arent a fan of the raw guys.

So yeah, is the depth good? Is there anything that they would red light me for in this?

Video

Video

Also tips and suggestions are more than appreciated. I probably wont change to much before the meet but i definitely need to get this squat up!
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

IPF in Australia would red light it, your hip crease breaks the knee - but I don't know what the US people will say.

As far as your form goes, lead with your hips - your breaking at the knees first, so the bar is going forward and you have to GM it up. Second, throw your head back into the bar and lead up with your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    IPF in Australia would red light it, your hip crease breaks the knee - but I don't know what the US people will say.

As far as your form goes, lead with your hips - your breaking at the knees first, so the bar is going forward and you have to GM it up. Second, throw your head back into the bar and lead up with your chest.
    ****. Even the 405? It really thought i was hitting good depth.

It's a CPu meet in canada. IPF affiliated. In case that makes a difference.

And yeah, i have to start squatting with some good squatters. My form sucks. I good morning the **** out of everything.
    Last edited by danmac; 07-02-2009 at 01:09 AM.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

The 405 looked better than the 365, but it not super obvious LOW. Your best bet for video to is to be sure the two saftey bars are in line with one another to be sure the camera is straigt. Cuz now it is on a slight downward angle to throw it off. Also small shorts help to see the hip joint relation to knee.....In a singlet/tight/small shorts easier to see....

I have video from meets if ya want to see
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Also be sure your knee's are straight & locked before ya start......u wont get the start command w/o doing so
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Looked pretty good to me, practice some light box squats in the mean time.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

On the 405 squat right at 0:24 you can see yourself falling forwards. This makes depth a lot harder to reach due to the raising hips.

I had the exact same problem as you. From what I can see you begin squatting and then at one point your back leans forward. You still manage to go deep but you must be using a hell of a lot of energy with that GM. I always envisioned squatting like your sitting on the toilet. When I started lifting with the big guys I had to start back down from 315 after almost squatting 400 :s. Only now 2 months later am I coming back.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

Your first vid is very, very close, though I'd say your 2nd would pass in the two feds I've lifted in (ADFPF, 100% RAW), but only just.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I bury most of my attempts, which really means I end up leaving lbs on the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by blownby View Post
    The 405 looked better than the 365, but it not super obvious LOW. Your best bet for video to is to be sure the two saftey bars are in line with one another to be sure the camera is straigt. Cuz now it is on a slight downward angle to throw it off. Also small shorts help to see the hip joint relation to knee.....In a singlet/tight/small shorts easier to see....

I have video from meets if ya want to see
    I will take a new video next week with a better angle and shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by blownby View Post
    Also be sure your knee's are straight & locked before ya start......u wont get the start command w/o doing so
    I will make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Looked pretty good to me, practice some light box squats in the mean time.
    So we got a yes here. I will probably do another 365 squat next week and make sure everything good to go with depth. I think im opening really light like 350 and ill just force it down to make sure i get depth.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    On the 405 squat right at 0:24 you can see yourself falling forwards. This makes depth a lot harder to reach due to the raising hips.

I had the exact same problem as you. From what I can see you begin squatting and then at one point your back leans forward. You still manage to go deep but you must be using a hell of a lot of energy with that GM. I always envisioned squatting like your sitting on the toilet. When I started lifting with the big guys I had to start back down from 315 after almost squatting 400 :s. Only now 2 months later am I coming back.
    Yeah thats the first thing i noticed on the video, i had no idea i was doing that, THAT much. I just drop all of a sudden. I have poor hip flexibility that i never address. I really really should start. I am going to have to train with some guys soon, hopefully make some contacts at the july meet.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

I've competed in the OPA which is IPF, and i'd say that would pass. Although I've seen a well below parallel squat get red lighted. What CPO meet is it? I didnt know CPO was even doing a meet in london (unless your talking about CPU)
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Looks fine to me.

When you pick the bar up out of the rack, take one or two small steps back. They don't need to be huge, giant steps. You look like you're wasting some effort taking a big step to the back of the rack. Stay tight!

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I've competed in the OPA which is IPF, and i'd say that would pass. Although I've seen a well below parallel squat get red lighted. What CPO meet is it? I didnt know CPO was even doing a meet in london (unless your talking about CPU)
    Sorry, i meant CPU. I am competing at the ottawa open, its OPA. Which is through CPU. Which is IPF affiliated. I am still getting used to all the codes.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Intermediate Lifter
    I compete in the USAPL (IPF). I think your depth is good. Yes, USAPL judging is very strict. A lot depends on the individuals who are judging.

At the meet before last, I got red-lighted by the two side judges, while the front judge gave me a white. My training partner (who is a 15 year USAPL veteran) agreed with the call, and told me I was at and not below parallel.

Remember, in the IPF you must be below parallel. Lighten up on your Opener especially, if you think you might have trouble hitting proper IPF depth. I wouldn't attempt a weight that you don't think you could bring up unless you hit proper depth. I tend to be conservative though: I would rather have a lift passed with a bit less weight, than to get called for depth.

Here's a vid of my recent raw Squat. Everyone said the depth was good:

Video

Good luck!

5'9" 197 lbs 50 Years Young
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1101 lbs.
    Bench (raw): 245 X 8
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Strict Standing Military Press: 190 X 1
    Training Journal.

Depth looks good brother! I agree w/ Tim, take smaller steps back and conserve that energy... Open w/ a weight you can at least triple to see where you're at w/ the depth & the judging. Good luck bro!

Banned
    PERFECT DEPTH in both lifts in my opinion!