The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

set/rep range suggestions?

I am submaster and want to stay in the 123s. Been at this since January and have done the 5x5 programs, that Tim Ferriss and Pavel Tsatsouline thing, for a while. Then a really well-known powerlifter wrote up a peaking cycle for my first meet in May. After that, I went to a 3x3 on primary lifts and went around 2x10 on some assistance work for weak links in the chain.

Next meet is in September. I have been making decent progress, and I do not plan to change too much of anything before then. I do not want to gain weight, but I want to become really strong. I saw that my lifts in May were not very far from the "PL USA" top twenty. And I will only get better. I would like suggestions for my training cycle for the meet after this one.

What I am wondering is this: I like higher weight lower rep minimalist training. I would like to know the pros/cons of lower weight higher rep ranges and also heavy singles. I really like the idea of the latter, but don't always have an adequate spotter either. I am also interested to know whether y'all increase weight from set to set on the same day or whether many of you tend to be able to hit an extra rep and move up a certain amount of weight.

Thanks,
    Dr. Danny "Stik" Smith

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you like the idea of hitting heavy singles and are close to top twenty with your lifts i would say give westside a try. Hitting those singles will add little mass to your frame and accessory work can be controlled to add little mass to your body..

FWIW its my understanding that the higher rep speed lifts help with CNS stimulation. I throw high rep speeds in my lifts whenever I feel like I am plateauing and I try to keep the weight as heavy as possible for when I try for speed work. Its worked for me, other than that I do 5x5 and if I can't do 5 rep sets and my form is still good, I just do singles until I get to 25 reps, most of the time (generally its after 2-3 sets and I am still hitting 2-4 reps on those last sets).
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    What I am wondering is this: I like higher weight lower rep minimalist training. I would like to know the pros/cons of lower weight higher rep ranges and also heavy singles.
    Pros:

-It gets you strong...

-It still has lots of pros that I can post, but the first one is really the only thing that you need to know...

Cons:

-If you mess up your form while lifting max loads, you die...