The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Trap Bar Deads Vs. Barbell Deads?

TODAY I DID TRAP BAR DEADS TO TAKE THE STRAIN OUT OFMY LOWER BACK .THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME DOING THEM AND I HAVE NO BACK PAIN.THE MOVEMENT FELT JUST LIKE BARBELL DEADS EXCEPT I HAD MORE CONTROL.JUST WANT TO KNOW IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE DOING TRAP BAR DEADS AND DID YOU LIKE THEM?
    One must want to become a BUTTERFLY so much,that one is willing to give up being a CATERPILLAR......

I sell mirrors in the city of the blind.....(religious leaders)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Deadlifts are a great lower back strengthener, curious why you would want to take that out of the exercise...?

I like barbell better...the trap bar always shifts one way or another on me and throws me off.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I think trap bar deads are more similar to barbell hack squats or dumbell squats. Nothing wrong with either, just regular deads are superior in my opinion. Taking the lower back out of the equation sort of defeats the purpose...
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I eel they would maybe be good to supplement your squat and perhaps work your grip/traps with. Don't think you'll get a great carryover into your deadlift.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Agree with Latman that TBDLs won't carry over to BLDL's. Disagree with DaCypher that TBDLs take your lower back out of the equation. I do TBDLS regularly and I can assure you that your spinal erectors get hit well doing them. For me it's easier to keep proper spinal positioning with TBDLs than BLDLs. I have a bad lumbar disk. If I do things that make me reach forward too much or have me holding a heavy weight to one side cause me a great deal of grief. I do better with TBDLs where the weight is centered on a line through my feet, as opposed to BLDLs where the weight is forward of that line. This may sound like old man stuff but in a few years it may make more sense to some of you.

Wannabebig Member
    Aside from me being able to balance myself better ,i really feel no difference.I've been doing research on them.....I guess only time will tell!!!!!Thanks for the comments fellas, will keep you posted!!!!
    One must want to become a BUTTERFLY so much,that one is willing to give up being a CATERPILLAR......

I sell mirrors in the city of the blind.....(religious leaders)

Originally posted by Delphi
    Agree with Latman that TBDLs won't carry over to BLDL's. Disagree with DaCypher that TBDLs take your lower back out of the equation. I do TBDLS regularly and I can assure you that your spinal erectors get hit well doing them. For me it's easier to keep proper spinal positioning with TBDLs than BLDLs. I have a bad lumbar disk. If I do things that make me reach forward too much or have me holding a heavy weight to one side cause me a great deal of grief. I do better with TBDLs where the weight is centered on a line through my feet, as opposed to BLDLs where the weight is forward of that line. This may sound like old man stuff but in a few years it may make more sense to some of you.
    I find that my lower back is still used in TBDLs but not nearly as much as a BBDL. My legs fail before anything else with a TBDL, hence the comparison to squats. I find that with both squats and TBDLs my lower back isn't much of an issue so I do BBDLs to hit my lower back hard...

I do agree that BLDLs do hit the back harder- too hard for me, in fact.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    wtf is a 'trap bar'?

Is that a...machine?

Destroy the machines, so they will not become our masters.

Or something.

Here's a picture of one:
    Attached Images Attached Images

PR blaster!
    how much do those things run for?
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

Usually $150-200. PDA has some that you can specify how far apart the handles are, etc, but they don't have a chrome finish and they cost out the wazoo.