The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

I'm in the far outskirts of Rhodestown...

Today I hope on the scale after a while off of it, and to my suprrise I am tipping the scale at a robust, heatlhy and jiggly 105.7kg. 233lbs or so.

Hardly makes me anything compared to some of the guys tipping 300, but by Oly weightlifting standards, I am a SHW. Coming back from injury I have never felt this large strong and powerful. I'm close to 20 pounds heavier than when I last snatched yet I am pulling with great speed than ever before.

This now throws into serious question and talks between me and my coach as to whether I am destined for the superheavy path, or if I will shed this off and remain at my normal midrange heavyweight.

I have quite mixed feelings, the superheavies are a very different breed of people, requires different training, different pulling techniques, not to mention I would need to eat my way to well over 300 to have a flying chance in hell at doing anything internationally. On the other hand, the amount of food I eat makes me perfect for the job.

Thought I would share with some of you guys! In the meantime, I'm eating like normal.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Fuzzy, I think should just let yourself grow into it if you do anything. Don't go nuts now trying to be a superheavy. See where your training takes you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Being a shw is a real commitment especially if you are not a person with a giant frame. I have handicapped myself albeit temporarily in many ways. I look forward to hitting my meet and dropping a good 40lbs. I like what Chris said, let your body grow, but don't push it. That 42lbs you'd need to get into Rhodestown would be brutal on you.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Your a big boy.

To be honest, just let your body do its own thing. You are waaaaaaaay too young to be 300lbs. When your older and your body has matured more then you can decide. I am now 21 and have come to terms with the fact that I will never grow that 1 inch to be 6 feet tall. It seems to be that my body is comfortable around 200lbs. When I was 215-220 I felt quite jiggly as you said. At 175-185 I feel I would be too small for my frame. Your frame hasn't developed to it's potential yet. Wait it out .
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

also might want to consider you will spike your estrogen up if you raise your bodyfat. The enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen is concentrated in bodyfat so an increase in bodyfat will result in an increase in the aromatase enzyme.

I grew into 260 from 170. its been a pleasent journey, I would do what Chris said.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I have to laugh at all the "little people".... Quit obsessing about it like a bunch of image consious girls.

I'm 5'7, I weighed 160 lbs when I lifted a barbell the first time 20 years ago. Today, I weighed somewhere around 328. I can't imagine being 240.... I weighed that last when I was a freshman in college, when I was 19. I've been heavier. Honestly, I don't like having to struggle to wipe my ass like I have to when I'm over 350.

You wanna get strong? load the bar up, lift it, and eat good food, eat good food and eat good food. Quit getting so damned worried about what you weigh.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

^ I don't think its simply 'image conscious girls' that worry about getting too overweight. Heart disease is a very real concern for somebody your height/weight. Its a trade-off - you have decided to trade part of your life for some extra strength. Not very many people are that dedicated or would ever do that with their bodies.

But, people do even crazier stuff than what you are doing. You name it - somebody out there is doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    ^ I don't think its simply 'image conscious girls' that worry about getting too overweight. Heart disease is a very real concern for somebody your height/weight. Its a trade-off - you have decided to trade part of your life for some extra strength. Not very many people are that dedicated or would ever do that with their bodies.

But, people do even crazier stuff than what you are doing. You name it - somebody out there is doing it!

I will agree with you about the heart disease risk, but there is also a greater factor that has to be considered----genetics. Two quick examples: My grandfather ate fried ham rind for breakfast along with bacon, eggs, head sausage, and cornbread every day for over 50 years. He weighed a little over 280 at his heaviest (I dont' think he ever got over 300, he may have, I don't remember) at 5'5" tall. He also lived to be in his mid 70's before he ultimately died from prostate cancer---something he had for years and didn't bother to tell the family much less get treatment for. He had no significant heart disease when he died, despite years of being "overwieght" and a diet that would make a billygoat think about puking.

At the same time my parents had a friend who was the epitome of "healthy". Lean, athletic, worked out all the time... he dropped dead from a heart attack in his mid 40's.

There are numerous factors that contribute to an individuals overall health status. You cannot make a statement like you did above about me "you have decided to trade part of your life for some extra strength." without consideration of those factors because there is not a clear cut definition. Yes, there is an association with obesity and heart disease, however, if you use the standards generally used by medical professionals--ie BMI for example, you create a HUGE group of individuals who are obese. Many of those who when you actually look at them, are no where near "obese". The standards are skewed. I think we can all agree on that.

The thing that I'm trying to bitch about.... too many people who weight train get too caught up in the "ripped abs" the "getting cut" crap. They sacrifice the strength that they could have to do what I call "looking pretty".
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    I have to laugh at all the "little people".... Quit obsessing about it like a bunch of image consious girls.

I'm 5'7, I weighed 160 lbs when I lifted a barbell the first time 20 years ago. Today, I weighed somewhere around 328. I can't imagine being 240.... I weighed that last when I was a freshman in college, when I was 19. I've been heavier. Honestly, I don't like having to struggle to wipe my ass like I have to when I'm over 350.

You wanna get strong? load the bar up, lift it, and eat good food, eat good food and eat good food. Quit getting so damned worried about what you weigh.
    I think Fuzzy has desings on becoming an internationally-competitive weightlifter. To get to that point you do certainly have to worry about your ideal weight(class).
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I think Fuzzy has desings on becoming an internationally-competitive weightlifter. To get to that point you do certainly have to worry about your ideal weight(class).
    I didn't realize that until you made your post above.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..