The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Advantages of being tall in powerlifting?

Are there any advantages at all of being tall in a power lifting event? I know that it goes purely by weight class and not by height/weight combo. I am 6'5" 226 and I am thinking about competing next January. However, obviously a person who is 5'10" 225 will be a ton stronger than I am simply because he will have much more mass. I know that in bench I will be at a disadvantage...I am more concerned with my squat and deadlift. Right now I can DL 405 and squat 360ish. I am pretty sure by January I will be able to belt only 500 DL and 450 squat...however, my bench is only about 280 and goes up about 5 pounds a month . Is this just the way it is? If so, thats ok...its really just a personal challenge to see if I can do it.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 07-06-2009 at 09:22 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Raw lifts will always go up slower.

The best bench is held by a guy who is about 6'3"

Best DL by a guy who is I believe 6'4-5"

And the best squat by a guy who is also 6"3

People who think they are "weaker" just because they are tall really are just psyching themselves out and giving themselves a mental excuse. Just do the best you can and work to hit your PRs

I would strongly encourage you to compete however. It's addicting

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Get ready to put 100lbs. If you want to compete seriously, you'll have to put some mass on your frame. I'm the same at 6'3", I'll need to be over 300 to get close to my goals.

You'll stand out at meets as the tall guy, haha. Seriously though, SHW is your destiny.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Get ready to put 100lbs. If you want to compete seriously, you'll have to put some mass on your frame. I'm the same at 6'3", I'll need to be over 300 to get close to my goals.
    It is more of a personal challenge than getting TOO serious. I never want to be over 300 pounds. Most I ever want to be is 260 pounds. Right now I am bulking to 240. I was 218 last month and now I am 226 so I am taking this stage of my weight gain very seriously...but I do not think I will like the way I look if I am 300 pounds (neither will my GF/future wife). No offense to anyone who is this size of course. Thanks for posting those lifting records...that just motivated me a bit. I always thought it was the shorter dudes with the bigger bench.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 07-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    It is more of a personal challenge than getting TOO serious. I never want to be over 300 pounds. Most I ever want to be is 260 pounds. Right now I am bulking to 240. I was 218 last month and now I am 226 so I am taking this stage of my weight gain very seriously...but I do not think I will like the way I look if I am 300 pounds (neither will my GF/future wife). No offense to anyone who is this size of course. Thanks for posting those lifting records...that just motivated me a bit. I always thought it was the shorter dudes with the bigger bench.
    Just met married BEFORE you gain the weight haha
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    LOL we already look a bit out of place together...her being 5'4" 120 and tan (Brazilian) me being 6'5" and white as rice. Cant imagine what it would be like if I weighed 60 pounds more.

Iíve never really understood leverages. Like I know shorter guys have less of a movement to make but in my mind a taller guy has more muscle mass potential.

Like 3 guys with the exact same build; one at 4 foot tall, one at 5 foot and one at 6 foot... the 6 foot guy will be the strongest.

I donít know enough powerlifters to compare, but like in Strongman competitions I notice the tallest guys donít do that great in deadlifting, however while Derek Poundstone is 6 foot 1 and weighs 315 lbs, David Ostlund is 6 foot 7 and weighs 335 lbs (only 20 lbs more)... to be built with the same kind of proportion as Poundstone, Ostlund should be hitting around 400 lbs.
    Itís just like how a 5 foot 6 guy on here weighing 160 lbs will usually lift heavier weights than a 6 foot guy weighing 180 lbs.

Iím sure Iím probably missing something though, like is there a certain height where the disadvantages of leverages start to outweigh the advantages of being able to add more muscle mass?

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I was 260 and lean at 6'5" before I got married..... I am much stronger now at 300.....

depending on how long your arms are you will have no problem deadlifting or benching.... being tall with short arms my deadlift is only low-mid 600's, but with a long torso I am able to get a fantastic arch on the bench so I bench almost as much as my deadlift.........

work your arch

or if you have longer arms/ short torso you are built to deadlift ( a perfect example of this build is current WPC 275 champ Jose Garcia) who pulls mid 800's

just keep working at it, no one build is that much better than another

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I was 260 and lean at 6'5" before I got married..... I am much stronger now at 300.....

depending on how long your arms are you will have no problem deadlifting or benching.... being tall with short arms my deadlift is only low-mid 600's, but with a long torso I am able to get a fantastic arch on the bench so I bench almost as much as my deadlift.........

work your arch

or if you have longer arms/ short torso you are built to deadlift ( a perfect example of this build is current WPC 275 champ Jose Garcia) who pulls mid 800's

just keep working at it, no one build is that much better than another
    Yes, I have long arms, long legs, and a short torso. I knew right away I was built for deadlifting because I dont even work at it and I can pull 405 no problem. Right now I am making sure my back is healed 100% before I deadlift again though. Squats seem easy now too...its just bench thats always hard. I can lock out fine its just getting it off my chest thats the hard part.

I'm about 6'3, I'm pretty much fed up with the whole "tall guys can't powerlift" argument

If you have long arms, you'll probably be a good deadlifter. You'll probably be a bad bencher.

There are things you have to do to shorten your ROM as much as possible, and you're pretty much going to have to be a heavy, if not SHW.

The world record squat is held by a guy that is 6'3

Just deal with it and lift!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Raw lifts will always go up slower.

Best DL by a guy who is I believe 6'4-5"

People who think they are "weaker" just because they are tall really are just psyching themselves out and giving themselves a mental excuse. Just do the best you can and work to hit your PRs

I would strongly encourage you to compete however. It's addicting
    Travis is right on. Don't use it as an excuse. I'm 6'4 and yeah, my long limbs probably don't help me in some lifts, but I don't use that as an excuse; I just try to get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Haha, Marcus, I use that excuse all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I'm about 6'3, I'm pretty much fed up with the whole "tall guys can't powerlift" argument

If you have long arms, you'll probably be a good deadlifter. You'll probably be a bad bencher.

There are things you have to do to shorten your ROM as much as possible, and you're pretty much going to have to be a heavy, if not SHW.

The world record squat is held by a guy that is 6'3

Just deal with it and lift!

Another great point, Lones. You do what you can with what you have.

Like everyone else has said, man, you'll probably need to gain some weight in order to lift more.
    Last edited by jbrin0tk; 07-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Advantages? You can add more to your frame than anyone else - its no coincidence that the top lifts are all held by guys who are pretty damn tall.

Ed Coan is quoted somewhere as saying he wished he was a bit taller so he could carry a few more lbs, though he was always pretty short.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Advantages? You can add more to your frame than anyone else - its no coincidence that the top lifts are all held by guys who are pretty damn tall.

Ed Coan is quoted somewhere as saying he wished he was a bit taller so he could carry a few more lbs, though he was always pretty short.
    Ernie said the same thing about being short.....

Ed ( and ernie in his prime aka his 50's) both do a good job of making up for it by being wider than they are tall

Gain weight. At least 100 pounds. Preferably 150.
    Roll Tide.

Work the DL brother! Long limbs have thier advantages too!

As far as benching cant add much more than these guys but grip wide as is legal and increase your arch to shorten the ROM... Heavy DB benchs help off the bottom!

Good luck bro!

Main thing is you can't change your height, so don't worry about it. Just learn as much as you can, bust your ass in the gym, and keep breaking PR's; someday those PR's may be WR's. Best of luck, and compete asap....it's the fastest way to get better.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

wide grip and a big arch....

then make up lbs in the deadlift

Banned
    Are there any advantages at all of being tall in a power lifting event?
    From my experience, the only real advantage is that a tall frame can hold more weight/muscle. But, I agree with what Travis and others have said, if you focus on having long range of motion and it being a negative thing, it can become an excuse and that's not what powerlifting is about. To me powerlifting is getting stronger and hopefully one day being the strongest I possibly can be.

EDIT: An addition...
    There is another advantage. Most tall people have big hands, and big hands is a grip advantage. My grip is nowhere near my weakest point when deadlifting, that's an advantage.

Not that 6'3" is all that tall, but please give names, I'm curious.

I would strongly encourage you to compete however.
    Me too, we need more tall powerlifters.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    Main thing is you can't change your height, so don't worry about it. Just learn as much as you can, bust your ass in the gym, and keep breaking PR's; someday those PR's may be WR's. Best of luck, and compete asap....it's the fastest way to get better.
    ^^^ This. Bust your ass in the gym and focus on PR's and you'll get strong.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 07-10-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Banned
    LOL we already look a bit out of place together...her being 5'4" 120 and tan (Brazilian) me being 6'5" and white as rice.
    My wife is about 5'5" ( and I'm 6'8" ).