Thread: gallon of milk

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

gallon of milk

Doing SS. If I drink a gallon of milk each day, thats 4 litres. Do I need to eat protein powder too?
    4 litres is about 1200 cals 120grams protein. Plus normal meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.

If eating/drinking meets your protein requirements for the day then no. If they do not, then yes.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Don't forget to count all the carbs in milk and the fat if its not skim.

Quote Originally Posted by malkore View Post
    Don't forget to count all the carbs in milk and the fat if its not skim.
    GOMAD is typically done with whole milk so hopefully that's what he's using. If the goal is to gain weight, I wouldn't see the point in using anything other than whole.
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungNoble View Post
    If the goal is to gain weight, I wouldn't see the point in using anything other than whole.
    you can gain weight drinking 2% milk as well.
    4 liters of 2% milk is 2000 cals and 140 grams of protein
    if that plus the rest of ur cals is above your maintenance... you'll gain weight.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Doing SS. If I drink a gallon of milk each day, thats 4 litres. Do I need to eat protein powder too?
    4 litres is about 1200 cals 120grams protein. Plus normal meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.
    You need a nutrition plan that includes daily totals. It's important to know what you're eating.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

I eat 300 grams of protein and 10 grams of fish oil fat and then just consume moderate amounts of food to 'fill in' the rest of the requirements (eat judging by hunger since your maintenance fluctuates day to day).

Wannabebig Member
    Ok. 4 litres of milk plus my other meals makes up my requirements. But am I getting too much from just milk and what would 4 litres do to my stomach, I only drink 1-2 a day at the moment?
    (and yes I drink whole as Im trying to gain weight)

i cant imagine drinking 4 litres of milk a day, its too much, youd spend most of the day feeling sick, and it would play havok with your digestive system, youd probably spend most of the day pissing out of your arse

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Banger View Post
    i cant imagine drinking 4 litres of milk a day, its too much, youd spend most of the day feeling sick, and it would play havok with your digestive system, youd probably spend most of the day pissing out of your arse
    i manage it fine... **** somedays with milk in shakes and porridge etc i probably get in 5 liters. If you feel sick all day from drinking 4 liters of milk... you're either lactose intolerant or a little girl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    you can gain weight drinking 2% milk as well.
    4 liters of 2% milk is 2000 cals and 140 grams of protein
    if that plus the rest of ur cals is above your maintenance... you'll gain weight.
    Of course. This is obvious though...

If someone wants to do GOMAD chances are they're a 'hardgainer' AKA they're skinny and don't eat enough or they just want an easy, convenient way to gain weight quicker. They'll definitely gain weight w/GOMAD. It's a waste of time to go w/ low fat or skimmed milk. The nutrient profile isn't the same (namely cals and saturated fats) especially when we compare actual #'s.

Whole Milk:
    2400 cal
    200g carbs
    120g fat
    120g protein

For what GOMAD is originally intended for (skinny people try to gain weight), using anything other than whole milk is virtually pointless. I'm not going to encourage the splitting hairs. In the end, the best is advice is "do what works best for you". As long as you're not harming yourself or anyone else, it shouldn't make a difference. Now, whether or not it's optimal is a whole 'nother topic.

I know if I'm a skinny guy, I'm going with whole milk and some lactase pills and I'm golden.

Of course. This is obvious though...

If someone wants to do GOMAD chances are they're a 'hardgainer' AKA they're skinny and don't eat enough or they just want an easy, convenient way to gain weight quicker. They'll definitely gain weight w/GOMAD. It's a waste of time to go w/ low fat or skimmed milk. The nutrient profile isn't the same (namely cals and saturated fats) especially when we compare actual #'s.

Whole Milk:
    2400 cal
    200g carbs
    120g fat
    120g protein

For what GOMAD is originally intended for (skinny people try to gain weight), using anything other than whole milk is virtually pointless. I'm not going to encourage the splitting hairs. In the end, the best is advice is "do what works best for you". As long as you're not harming yourself or anyone else, it shouldn't make a difference. Now, whether or not it's optimal is a whole 'nother topic.

I know if I'm a skinny guy, I'm going with whole milk and some lactase pills and I'm golden.
    Youre 1/2 right. Other milk will be fine but the amount of the hormones in skim and 2% will be less.

The point of whole milk GOMAD is partially the cals, protein carbs and fat. The hormone IGF-1, which is used in milk producing cows finds its way into the milk they produce. Therefore, the milk we get has amounts of GH in it. This in addition the squatting heavy 2-3x a week OR 20 rep squats.. which releases HGH will make you body think its on steroids. (According to Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Bill Starr, and others). All of this plus 3600 calories of whole milk and a ton of fat and protein will augment the hormone being eaten and secreted. IGF-1 can be found in skim and 2%, just in smaller amounts.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Youre 1/2 right. Other milk will be fine but the amount of the hormones in skim and 2% will be less.

The point of whole milk GOMAD is partially the cals, protein carbs and fat. The hormone IGF-1, which is used in milk producing cows finds its way into the milk they produce. Therefore, the milk we get has amounts of GH in it. This in addition the squatting heavy 2-3x a week OR 20 rep squats.. which releases HGH will make you body think its on steroids. (According to Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Bill Starr, and others). All of this plus 3600 calories of whole milk and a ton of fat and protein will augment the hormone being eaten and secreted. IGF-1 can be found in skim and 2%, just in smaller amounts.
    what i said wasn't partially accurate--it was. i just didn't get in-depth w/my post LOL. trying to keep it basic and direct.

using anything other than whole milk isn't GOMAD. that's the bottom line.

using anything other than whole milk isn't GOMAD. that's the bottom line.
    This is just plain wrong.
    Sarvamangalam!

This is just plain wrong.
    LOL ok

The hormone IGF-1, which is used in milk producing cows finds its way into the milk they produce. Therefore, the milk we get has amounts of GH in it. This in addition the squatting heavy 2-3x a week OR 20 rep squats.. which releases HGH will make you body think its on steroids. (According to Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Bill Starr, and others).
    i've read this before... does anyone have any links to actual studies done that show Rippetoe's claim "There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement", to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    i've read this before... does anyone have any links to actual studies done that show Rippetoe's claim "There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement", to be true?
    Yea, lemme find some of the abstracts....

This is from a Rippetoe Q&A Forum

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showth...ighlight=GOMAD

This is just a site on 20rep squats and GOMAD(at the bottom of the page)

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats

1/2 way down the page:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...nts_and_Cardio
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 07-19-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yea, lemme find some of the abstracts....

This is from a Rippetoe Q&A Forum

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showth...ighlight=GOMAD

This is just a site on 20rep squats and GOMAD(at the bottom of the page)

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats

1/2 way down the page:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...nts_and_Cardio
    thanks ZM, some good info