The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lats just aren't building

I've been lifting for about a year, and have seen decent gains. I look pretty muscular when I'm standing normal (compared to what I used to), but if I lift my arms up I look pretty skinny because my lats just don't seem to want to build.

I have changed my routing about 5 times during the year, with this routine the latest that I've been doing for about 2 months or so:

Tue: Back + 1 leg:
    2x8 Squats
    2x8 Barbell rows
    2x Failure chin ups (palms facing away from face)
    1x Failure deadlifts

Thur: Chest & shoulders:
    2x8 Bench press
    1x10 Shrugs
    2x8 Military press (Overhead press)
    2x8 Standing lateral raises
    2x Failure ab crunches

Sat/Sun: Bycep/tricep + 1 leg:
    2x8 Close Grip bench press
    2x8 Dumbbell curls
    2x8 Hammer curls
    2x20 Standing Calve Raises

As you can see I do chinups and bent-over barbell rows on Mondays. My lifts are hardly going up and I swear my lats havn't grown at all over the year.. anyone got any idea why this could be?

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Probably because you've changed your routine so many times. We all have those bodyparts that won't grow, but you have to give something some time to work. Add in more exercises, eat more. Try a routine for a year.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    I really don't understand the concept of someone doing all sorts of exercise selections in a week...

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Probably because you've changed your routine so many times. We all have those bodyparts that won't grow, but you have to give something some time to work. Add in more exercises, eat more. Try a routine for a year.
    Don't think he needs more exercises.

I'd do 5x5 training. Or do 3x10 for barbell rows.

Add squats in all workouts cuz now you have just one exercise per week for quads and hams..
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125238

chins to failure arent very good for building lats imo. it has the same problem as doing pushups to failure for building chest. get a dip belt and start stacking weight. do 4-5 sets with 1 warmup at body weight. when you can do 5 reps at a given weight, add another 2.5 or 5lbs in the same manner as you would for any other lift.

bwx5
    weightx5
    weightx5
    weightx5

alan thomas' website has some great belts and is a great guy. hes always gone out of his way when i order from him
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/dipping_belt

Your back volume is too low to build size, you are doing 4 sets of upper back a week that is very little.

Tue: Back + 1 leg:
    2x8 Squats
    2x8 Barbell rows
    2x Failure chin ups (palms facing away from face)
    1x Failure deadlifts

Thur: Chest & shoulders:
    2x8 Bench press
    1x10 Shrugs
    2x8 Military press (Overhead press)
    2x8 Standing lateral raises
    2x Failure ab crunches

Sat/Sun: Bycep/tricep + 1 leg:
    2x8 Close Grip bench press
    2x8 Dumbbell curls
    2x8 Hammer curls
    2x20 Standing Calve Raises
    You don't really have the power sets or the volume to build your lats up in the workout you posted. The standing lateral raises aren't going to give you big lats because you are probably doing, what, maybe 15-20 pounds? Same thing with your back day...there just isn't the right exercises there to have big lats.

What you don't want to do is get to target happy and try to overtrain one particular muscle. This will have the backwards effect on what you want- you will lose size because the muscle will be overworked.

To be honest, I would restructure your whole workout to being of the 5x5 or 3x5-8 variety. Do something like starting strength or WBB to get a set plan. 2x8 doesn't really cut it as a solid workout plan. You say you feel like you look muscular when you are chilling, but try starting strength and really get some power exercises in your workout on a solid plan and you will be amazed at how big you will get.

Unless you have great genetics your weight and strength levels are very important. Without super genetics and only 1 year of lifting you can't expect advance level size.

So my question is how much you weight and what is your big 3 like?

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    chins to failure arent very good for building lats imo. it has the same problem as doing pushups to failure for building chest. get a dip belt and start stacking weight. do 4-5 sets with 1 warmup at body weight. when you can do 5 reps at a given weight, add another 2.5 or 5lbs in the same manner as you would for any other lift.

bwx5
    weightx5
    weightx5
    weightx5

alan thomas' website has some great belts and is a great guy. hes always gone out of his way when i order from him
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/dipping_belt

This
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

1471, gotta have it Kenny Powers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    You don't really have the power sets or the volume to build your lats up in the workout you posted. The standing lateral raises aren't going to give you big lats because you are probably doing, what, maybe 15-20 pounds? .
    ummmm lateral raises are for shoulders.

despite this, i think you should re evaluate your form on both barbell rows and chins before doing anything with your routine.

using full range of motion and being strict with your technique is very important on back exercises like these because of how easy it is to cheat on back work.

focus on lightening up the weight until you can lift the weight in a very controlled fashoin and feel the muscle working that you want to work. if you can feel it being targeted, it will grow given progressive overload over time and proper nutrition.

so focus on nailing down your form, and set up a progression pattern where you either lift more weight, or do more reps every single week using that same good form. if you can do this, then given enough time, your lats will grow.

for me personally i took deadlifts out of my back day and moved them to my legs day. It doesnt work as easily for you because i see you do both on the same day. Maybe try doing deadlifts every other exercise cycle?

Everyone needs to stop posting routines in this thread. He can try bands, chains, pull ups, dinosaur training but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say routine advice would be avoiding the problem.

Q.Hey my shoulders are small and my max press is 90lbs? help!

A. get stronger

The OP needs to forget about how each body part looks right now and build a foundation. When you can deadlift a ton and put on weight your lats will come.

ummmm lateral raises are for shoulders.
    Very correct...that is what I get for not proofreading!

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboard View Post
    ... When you can deadlift a ton and put on weight your lats will come.
    LOL. How true.

EAT!

Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Everyone needs to stop posting routines in this thread. He can try bands, chains, pull ups, dinosaur training but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say routine advice would be avoiding the problem.

Q.Hey my shoulders are small and my max press is 90lbs? help!

A. get stronger

The OP needs to forget about how each body part looks right now and build a foundation. When you can deadlift a ton and put on weight your lats will come.

I mostly agree with this...but doesn't he need a good routine to get stronger?

OP I would go with Starting Strength for now and give it a solid year of trying to get stronger on those lifts. Do not change up your routine so frequently, you can't expect to gain strength if you keep changing said lifts.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-06-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    I mostly agree with this...but doesn't he need a good routine to get stronger?

Yes but from experience the problem usually isn't the routine when guys complain about lack of size. I remember a thread back in the days where someone was upset with their lack of chest development I believe.(Something to that effect) After about 4 pages and 10 routines later I asked what are your max lifts and everything was super low. 200 bench 250 squat etc etc. My only point is not to expect a big chest, legs, back, arms etc with newbie type lifting numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    This
    Yup.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

Ok I think I've just basically got to keep the training up. My numbers are quite small I guess.

I'm trying to cut now so my numbers aren't going to go up either. Annoying though as my gains keep steadily going up but I have to cut now, as I have gained so much fat for eating too much while trying to bulk. Next time I bulk I'm going to only eat a slight bit more to minimize the fat gain, and hopefully won't need to cut again for a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Ok I think I've just basically got to keep the training up. My numbers are quite small I guess.

I'm trying to cut now so my numbers aren't going to go up either. Annoying though as my gains keep steadily going up but I have to cut now, as I have gained so much fat for eating too much while trying to bulk. Next time I bulk I'm going to only eat a slight bit more to minimize the fat gain, and hopefully won't need to cut again for a long long time
    Your numbers are they key. When you start picking up 4 plates and benching 3 you lats will have grown. Size takes time and often times arrives late after strength gains. Keep working hard, also make sure you are progressing on your lifts and eating enough.

Look up the routine Baby Got Back (BGB) if you really want to build your overall back-size up.

But changing routines 5 times/year is too much. You need consistency (and patience) to build muscle.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Banned
    Yes but from experience the problem usually isn't the routine when guys complain about lack of size. I remember a thread back in the days where someone was upset with their lack of chest development I believe.(Something to that effect) After about 4 pages and 10 routines later I asked what are your max lifts and everything was super low. 200 bench 250 squat etc etc. My only point is not to expect a big chest, legs, back, arms etc with newbie type lifting numbers.
    I agree 100% and beyond. Although people can train for hypertrophy and neural efficiency in different ways, the two somewhat (SOMEWHAT!) complement each other. I understand that Hossein Rezazadeh is neurally efficient, but try paying to attention to his thighs.

http://media.farsnews.com/Media/8408...40826_L600.jpg

Did you noticed how his vastus medialis and vastus lateralis look like two huge elongated rock-hard boulders even with his high bodyfat percentage? THAT'S MUSCLE RIGHT THERE!

And take a look at Ronnie Coleman's back.

http://img.donanimhaber.com/upfiles/...067CFCF2B9.jpg

The guy deadlifts 800 pounds TWICE in a set! Of course his back is hyoooge.
    Last edited by BrockO'Bummer; 07-07-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockO'Bummer View Post
    I really don't understand the concept of someone doing all sorts of exercise selections in a week...
    Im with this guy!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bodyguard; 07-07-2009 at 05:55 PM.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)