The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Questions about Squats and routine

Hey guys, I have a question about squats.

Yesterday I was doing squats and since I am a beginner (doing them for three weeks now), I used a 25 lb plate on each side. That was pretty good and could do 9 reps with some effort and good form (I think). I decided to add 5lb plates to each side and when I went down, I felt a sharp pain on my left knee, so I went back to 25 lb plates. My questio is, should I wear something for my knees? I can do 30 lbs no problem, but the pain was there. Could it be some injury from my soccer playing (a few years ago)? So far I love squats. I swear there is no exercise that drains my legs as this squat exercise and don't get me wrong, IT FEELS GREAT!!!!

How many times a week and reps should I be squating? how many reps should I be aiming for if I want to get some leg muscles (aside from leg press exercises, extensions etc..)?

My work out plan is:

Mon: Back, Lats, Squats ( 5 sets, 8-9 reps)
    Tue: Chest
    Wed: Legs (Squats), Shoulders
    Thr: Rest, (Slow pace cardio)
    Friday: Biceps and Triceps
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Rest

Is that enough Squats?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Erick
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 07-07-2009 at 04:23 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read the book "starting strength", watch Sensei's squat Rx videos (in the stickies), and look up "Mark Rippetoe squats" on youtube. You have to get your form down FIRST before you do anything else.

Once you do that, then 3 times a week for 3 sets of 5 (after warming up with lighter weight of course) is good.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

If you hurt your knee, I'd check your form first.

Squats can be done with single reps, 5 reps, and on up to 20 reps and beyond. How you do them is up to you and your goals. For general purpose, I'd do a couple of sets of five reps. Make sure you are progressive.

I'd rearange your workout a little better. Look at some pre arranged routines that have been posted on this site. There are a bunch of good ones around, but Starting Strength seems to be the prefered for this group. It's as good as any, so I'd start there.

<edit> brihead301 beat me to it.
    Last edited by Off Road; 07-07-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    My work out plan is:

Mon: Back, Lats, Squats ( 5 sets, 8-9 reps)
    Tue: Chest
    Wed: Legs (Squats), Shoulders
    Thr: Rest, (Slow pace cardio)
    Friday: Biceps and Triceps
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Rest

Is that enough Squats?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Erick
    What's your purpose? Bodypart split sucks for most people. Are you trying to bodybuild or increase your strength?

Quote Originally Posted by BrockO'Bummer View Post
    What's your purpose? Bodypart split sucks for most people. Are you trying to bodybuild or increase your strength?

I really want to get muscular and get stronger of course, but I do want to look better. Bigger muscles, bigger triceps, etc...

What do you recommend?

I was doing:

Monda: Back/Chest
    Tues: Biceps/Triceps
    Wed: LEgs/ shoulders

I will start searching again. Last year I trained hard for the whole year and I was more stronger than now for sure and I looked more big. I am starting all over again because of a pulled muscle on my shoulder. I believe I could have gained more results if I had rest my muscles more, so I was trying something different this time. I don't know if it will work for me.

I am just concerned that I will not have much time to rest if I hit the muscles twice a week.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, complaints :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    I really want to get muscular and get stronger of course, but I do want to look better. Bigger muscles, bigger triceps, etc...

What do you recommend?

I was doing:

Monda: Back/Chest
    Tues: Biceps/Triceps
    Wed: LEgs/ shoulders

I will start searching again. Last year I trained hard for the whole year and I was more stronger than now for sure and I looked more big. I am starting all over again because of a pulled muscle on my shoulder. I believe I could have gained more results if I had rest my muscles more, so I was trying something different this time. I don't know if it will work for me.

I am just concerned that I will not have much time to rest if I hit the muscles twice a week.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, complaints :P

I suggest EVERYONE, whether you're a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, to focus on OVERALL development. You don't need a "chest day" or a "leg day" or a triceps day", you need (in my humble opinion) full body workouts. Something similar to Bill Starr's "Heavy Light Medium" program. These 3 exercises can build your ENTIRE BODY (they're bare minimum for overall develoment, but still, increasing your lifts with these will develop your entire body):

Front squats (ATG, pause at the bottom, stance is slightly wider than shoulder width)

Snatch grip deadlifts

Overhead press (You can hyperflex your lumbar to involve your chest muscles a bit more... that's dangerous, but Vasily Alexeev doesn't seem to complain about back pains after pressing 500 pounds overhead with that ugly hyperflexion of the back... A safer alternative would be the incline bench press at a 45 degree angle, but you're just taking away the "overall development" due to the elimination of core stabilization...... Or, another thing that you could do is to do a normal overhead press, no hyperflexion, and just add bench presses to your routine to make sure your pecs are getting enough stimulation...... Nevertheless, you can get hyoooooge with as low as 3 exercises.)

There's a theory that the more exercises you do, the slower your gains would be with those exercises. It's a concept that has been used by several experts. It seems to work for them... Of course, I'm only referring to "strength gains" though... cause it's all I care about. I think bodybuilders should just drop dead if they don't convert to powerlifting (OOOooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!) Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just kidding. Please forgive me crude humor.
    Last edited by BrockO'Bummer; 07-07-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Is it reasonable to work two muscles, more exactly "complementary muscles"?

OR muscles used when doing other exercises?

For example :

Doing Back and Biceps (since you use the biceps when doing back)
    Chest and Triceps (since you use triceps when doing chest)

And so forth.............

Is that a good idea? You can't get the same amount of power to lift when you already have used a muscle, so is that safe, will they grow the same as if you work a muscle by itself. To be honest, at this point i am SUPER confused as to training the muscles twice a week, or once a week.........

I guess I should try something and find out....

How about something like this?

Day one: Chest, triceps
    Day two: Legs, hamstrings calves
    Day three: Rest
    Day four: Back, and biceps
    Day five: Shoulders, and abs
    Day six: Rest
    Day seven: Rest

Thanks

Erick

We here at WBB train movements mostly. We encourage individuals to train their bodies as units since that is the best way to mimic movements you would do in daily life. Also training the body as a unit releases more hormone and engages more muscle per workout. The result is a much tougher routine but youll be a beast from it. That is not to say we dislike isolation exercises, but they are very very low on the list of our priorities.

Look at the stickies entitled: Starting Strength and Texas Method. Stop trying to make your own routine. The people who make routines that work usually have a degree in kinesiology, were elite athletes themselves, now coach and write... and have been doing so for a long damn time. What makes one think they can make something better than something the EXPERTS can?

Just because you dont train like a BBer doesnt mean you wont look very similar

Here is an example of someone who is a lean powerlifter (and used something similar to a movement trained split)

here is an O lifter who trains movements
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 07-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!