Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hit a plateau

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South
    Posts
    40

    Hit a plateau

    Hello all, I have been doing virtually the same workout since decemberish. At first i was getting great gains, now i feel like i need to switch the routine up. The only problem with this is its football workouts and i have no control over what we do, yet its mandatory. So its not like I can just skip and do my own thing. What should i do?? just deal with it??
    6 foot 4, 220
    17 years old as of Oct 8th
    Bench: 265
    Powerclean: 290
    Squat: 415

  2. #2
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    You can make simple changes to try to get things started again. You can drop the weights by 10% and build back up, you can change grip positions, you can change andgles, foot placement, rep ranges, set numbers, and on and on and on...
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You can make simple changes to try to get things started again. You can drop the weights by 10% and build back up, you can change grip positions, you can change andgles, foot placement, rep ranges, set numbers, and on and on and on...
    Good idea, I never thought about that. I will have to change a little bit of everything.
    6 foot 4, 220
    17 years old as of Oct 8th
    Bench: 265
    Powerclean: 290
    Squat: 415

  4. #4
    Senior Member Gymjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    402
    5x5 training and adding 5lbs each workout. Don't add weights if you haven't done 5x5 on a certain exercise. When you do, go heavier..
    Lifts:

    Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

    My training journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125238

  5. #5
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You can make simple changes to try to get things started again. You can drop the weights by 10% and build back up, you can change grip positions, you can change andgles, foot placement, rep ranges, set numbers, and on and on and on...
    This is good advice.

    Along with this you may want to try changing up diet, supplements, and rest. Boosting calories, adding in protein shakes, or getting an extra 30 minutes of sleep per night can make a surprising difference. It is easy to overtrain when you are on set programs like this as well, so a couple of days off or a 'deload' where you work with lighter weights for a few workouts may be beneficial.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
    5x5 training and adding 5lbs each workout. Don't add weights if you haven't done 5x5 on a certain exercise. When you do, go heavier..
    He is on a set program so this may not be an option.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by footballer13 View Post
    Hello all, I have been doing virtually the same workout since decemberish. At first i was getting great gains, now i feel like i need to switch the routine up. The only problem with this is its football workouts and i have no control over what we do, yet its mandatory. So its not like I can just skip and do my own thing. What should i do?? just deal with it??
    Quit football? It sucks to have a bad coach... This is why I never wanted to get an olympic weightlifting coach... I know I can do better without them. (please, for the love of God, forgive me for my arrogance!!)

  7. #7
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Brock, why do you always say dumb things like "I can do much better without a Oly lifting coach" which is pretty clearly ridiculous and then ask forgiveness for your arrogance?

    How about trying not saying silly things in the first place?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Brock, why do you always say dumb things like "I can do much better without a Oly lifting coach" which is pretty clearly ridiculous and then ask forgiveness for your arrogance?

    How about trying not saying silly things in the first place?
    Travis Bell, have you ever tried being arrogant before? It's NEVER a good quality but it feels so damn good. It's one of my guilty pleasures. The only reason why I add "please forgive my arrogance" is to neutralize my statement.

  9. #9
    Let's weightlift! backdraft005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    USA, Maine
    Posts
    52
    Brock, yo nuts.

    As for beating your plateau man on a football regiment, its tough. One thing people don't realize that beside the regiment you use all the time, its also the pattern/habit of doing those exercise that will let you hit a plateau (like alway weightlifting on certain day for X number of days). I got sick last week and obviously couldn't weight lift, however, when I started yesterday I felt like i had even more energy to work out. Never underestimate a long rest. Also follow Offroad, that's really the only realistic way to beat your plateau on a strict regiment, but be careful to avoid odd grips and angles to avoid tendon injury or worst.

Similar Threads

  1. Is MENTZER's HIT Program too low volume???
    By Biggfish02 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 04:00 PM
  2. Overcame my plateau!
    By baja_stx in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 05:22 PM
  3. Hit and run on my car...
    By jAy_Dub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2005, 12:03 PM
  4. How do YOU do HIT?
    By Ironminded in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 12:16 PM
  5. HIT Trainers.....
    By Van Stretch in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2001, 05:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •