Thread: Strongman

Hybrid View

Strongman

are all of these guys genetic freaks and the kind that walk into a gym for the first time and total 1000+?

or is there some hope for somebody who starts out average or even under if given enough time and the right decisions are taken?
    Last edited by Reinier; 04-20-2002 at 09:20 AM.

I think that genetically, they are ideally suited to their sport - the best of the best.

i dont think i have bad strongperson genetics but my lifts dont confirm it.

but like, i have huyge hands, big frame, my dad has such thick wrists he needs to specially order his wristwatch bands and set them at the farthest pin.... he has amazing handstrength even at an age of 62 he can still beat me at armwrestling just cuz he pinches so hard i give right up.

maybe he just gave the crappy genes to me or something. maybe it ll come later since im only 16. dont know.

I`m not talking international level strongman more like local

it is important to have goals

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Reinier, in terms of strength(gym lifts), my numbers are much higher than yours. I have pretty damn good strength when it comes to strongman type stuff, mainly because of my agility and focus on building strength. However, someone like yourself, with the proper training and some damn good weight gain, would fair much better at many of the events. You have great height, which is huge in the leverage most of the events. If you have a frame similar to your dads, you better start eating and filling it out. Maybe one day we'll see you on TV.

I have a huge interest in Strongman, however God did not put me on this Earth to be a Strongman competitor with my midgetness and small hands. I will however be doing some event training and if it is something I want to do, I may do some local contests in the future. Who knows. I say if you are interested in it, give it a shot. Start to learn more and incorporate some event training into your routine. It's fun.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

my hands are like 9.25 inches long from tip to wrist, but my wrists are relatively small. however so were my dads at this age

for now i am cutting. i have become more interested in strength specific stuff but first i want to prove to myself that i can be lean, before i will have the guts to gain any weight.

after that dang im gonna gain a shitload of weight.....

i realise that it takes freak genetics to be a top level competitor in any lifting sport and i would have easily noticed by now if i had them, but PLing seems a shitload of fun and when its more like functional strength things like strongman even more fun. i like the pushing limits idea.
    Last edited by Reinier; 04-20-2002 at 11:13 AM.

You are 16, look at Anthony Michael Hall from 16 Candles, he was a squid at that age. Now, as an adult, he is a much larger man. You will fill-in with time Reinier, trust me.

i think from a powerlifting perspective, i got dumped w/ shitty genes. I started off as a twig, 5'0" 90 lbs, and could barely erp 75 lbs on bench. I had a tiny frame, small wrists..everything. But over the past few years, i just trained, and recently i got smart about training. If you put your mind to it, you can do it. Since i've been training right, my lifts are getting up there...im almost catching up to latty.
    I have small hands too,... i cant even palm a basketball lol.. . just train and be happy where you are.

i can grab a basketball using only 2 or 3 fingers if its an outdoor or waxed one