Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: planet fitness is such a joke

Wannabebig Member

planet fitness is such a joke

so i was working out today doing bb over head press and one the workers there told me i wasnt allowed to do that movement. i can do it sitting/standing bb or in the smithmachine. i mean come on its not like anyone besides me was trying to use the squat rack area anyway. pure BS i hate all the wack ass rules they have there but i love the $10 a month fee though.. .lol

You should have punched him in the face.

Get out of that place immediately before they "Lunk Alarm" you and kick you out (serious). Real lifters aren't wanted there, and I can't see how anyone could put up with that ****, I don't care how cheap the membership is.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

i hate "fitness clubs" sign up with a real gym bro

yea man PF is bull but it is the only gym in the Area for me. And I have no income

one time when I was deadlifting the little worker girl in here spandex pants came over and told me I was lucky the "Lunk Alarm" was unplugged and then told me to stop banging the weights.....I laughed, but went along with it

Wannabebig Member
    It's obv ridiculous but for 10 bucks a month, you can't really complain
    5'8" 165 lbs Lifting since Jan '09

Wannabebig Member
    What is a Lunk alarm?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Rob View Post
    It's obv ridiculous but for 10 bucks a month, you can't really complain
    Yes you can for the above reasons. What point are you missing exactly?

Dude find another gym, seriously. They have so many rules there... I don't think I could do a single exercise in my regimen at that gym.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by gymbo View Post
    What is a Lunk alarm?
    A few months ago I quit my membership at the downtown YMCA. Even with the discount I got for being under 25 I felt I was just paying too much for what I was actually using -- which was essentially the track, some free weights and the sauna. I didn't go swimming or use the basketball courts, didnt take Yoga classes -- in the end I felt like the guy who orders the salad but ends up splitting the check with a bunch of people who had filet mignon.

A friend in the office told me I should check out Planet Fitness -- a (then) new gym on West Market Street that was stripped down, low key and (most important) much cheaper. At $10 a month with no contract the price was certainly right and I told myself Id join. Right after I vegged out on the couch chasing giant fat burgers and fries with brown liquor and double-thick milkshakes for a few months.

This week I finally got around to joining -- but I got more than I bargained for.

As I walked into the giant, brightly lit room full of cardio equipment, weight machines and banks of televisions, I noticed one phrase over and over, on pamphlets and handouts, painted on the very walls: "NO JUDGMENT."

Like a lot of gyms these days, Planet Fitness markets itself to people who most need to go to the gym -- people who aren't athletes, weight lifters or bodybuilders. People who, like me, sort of put any real dedication to their physical fitness aside some time ago and have grudgingly realized that they really ought to do something about that before they're forced to begin sewing their own clothing out of bed sheets and floor-length curtains. I had a lot in common with Planet Fitness' existing members -- years of sloth, a proclivity for greasy bags of fried fast food, the sneaking suspicion that someone shrunk these pants -- and those, too. And this shirt.

But if the gym's rhetoric was any indication, its members had something I did not: a near crippling fear of working out with or around people who are in good shape. The thinking, it seemed, was that people who are in great shape have a tendency to show off, to preen and strut, and (worst of all, it seemed) to judge people who aren't in such great shape.

On one wall a crude, insulting cartoon of a bodybuilder breaking all of the gym's clothing rules hung from one wall. On another there was a large light labeled "LUNK ALARM."

"Um...what's a lunk alarm?" I asked the friendly young woman processing my membership.

"Oh," she said. "I was ... going to explain that. You see -- we don't cater to bodybuilders or weight lifters....

The way she said it, the edge in her voice, would have suited a conversation about rapists and child molesters. I'd known plenty of weight lifters and bodybuilders in my life -- and most of them were perfectly decent guys. A little self involved -- and who wouldn't be with a hobby that required that much time thinking about the shape of your pectoral muscles and measuring your own neck? But certainly not evil.

"So, in order to sort of keep out those types, we have the Lunk Alarm," she said. "A Lunk is anybody who drops weights loudly, who grunts while working out or who judges other people."

"Well, we don't want that," I said.

"No, we don't," she agreed. "So, if someone does those things, that light goes off and there's an alarm and we go over and..."

"And you publicly mock and shame them?" I asked.

"Well...yes," she said. "I guess."

"Here in the 'judgment free zone?'" I asked.

"Yeah," she said. "I guess it is ironic."
    http://blog.news-record.com/staff/tr...nk_alarm.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Yes you can for the above reasons. What point are you missing exactly?

Dude find another gym, seriously. They have so many rules there... I don't think I could do a single exercise in my regimen at that gym.
    This.

Video
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Wow... wtf...

Wannabebig Member
    lol i read that blog. i feel like im getting judge by all the out of shape fat bastards who are too scared to hit the weights and want to run on the treadmill on speed 2 and watch jerry springer.

Discrimination!!! call the NAABBPLP

I really want to experience the lunk alarm. do they kick you out after the lunk alarm or just attempt shame you? I want to go to a planet fitness next time its convenient and get lunked. if they don't kick me out, I'm going to scream, "LUNK!!" after every rep for spite
    Last edited by twm; 07-08-2009 at 07:21 PM.

F that mess.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    Discrimination!!! call the NAABBPLP

I really want to experience the lunk alarm. do they kick you out after the lunk alarm or just attempt shame you? I want to go to a planet fitness next time its convenient and get lunked. if they don't kick me out, I'm going to scream, "LUNK!!" after every rep for spite
    haha film it and post the vid

I've never been to a planet fitness, but I used to train at a similar place. No lunk alarm though.

Does it just go off on loud noises? If so I'd be walking by it "coughing" every day just to set it off
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Intimidating to others?

I feel intimidated when I see gangster chavs curling in the squat rack. Does that count as a 'LUNK' alarm too? Idiots.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 07-08-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Here's a video of the lunk alarm guys... IT IS LOUD! Louder than a guy slamming weights or grunting I might add...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi893Kx79PA
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    Here's a video of the lunk alarm guys... IT IS LOUD! Louder than a guy slamming weights or grunting I might add...
    OMG that is freakin insane! I hope this gym goes under. I mean who wants to work out at 80% wtf

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    Holy ****! If I was squatting and "grunting" when that went off, it'd scare the **** out of me and I'd drop the weight and kill myself. Maybe you could get a nice lawsuit out of that place.

"That my friend...... is a woman who looks like a man on camera."

hahah what a great youtube comment

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Yeah, like people wouldn't ever confuse that for a fire alarm. Also, I would love to know what constitutes "judging" that triggers the Lunk alarm.

that should be something members aim for. i dont know why but it makes me wanna go down the long line of ellipticals just saying "Psh.. ****ing pussies."
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    No strength within, no respect without.
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

Wow.....just wow.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    There is no wonder North Americans are fat. They want to workout in peace and watch tv at the gym. Anyone who tries to engage in a bit of intensity is a freak. Unreal!