Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: planet fitness is such a joke

Wow that is retarted, also dangerous. I might drop a weight on my head if something like that went off in my gym.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Welcome to our gym We specialize in fitness.

Now whatever you do, don't exert yourself. That's frowned upon here. In fact if you can't talk about what's going on at work to your spotter, while holding a cell phone and benching at the same time, then you're working too hard and we kindly ask you to leave.
    Last edited by Coqui; 07-09-2009 at 08:14 AM.

I know a guy whose gym was taken over by Planet Fitness. He was not familiar with PF, so he went ahead and signed up with them because the rates were good, and he figured he already liked the gym the way it was so why not. He signed a contract, so apparently they either didn't previous offer the month-to-month option, or that is a regional thing.

The day it opened he got in there and saw they had removed all the barbells, all the heavy dumbells, all the benches and racks, and replaced them with machines or cardio equipment. And of course there was the lunk alarm and all that. They gave him a hard time about cancelling his membership but I think he did get out of it. It is obvious they want to bring in the fat people and make them pay to feel better about being fat. I wouldn't ever bother with a place like that, but I have to admit they've got the business model nailed.

if you read that rules sign in the gym, it says no gallon water jugs. wtf?
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    “No strength within, no respect without.”
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

I went to the website and read some of the comments people have left. Some of that stuff is truly amazing. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    OMG that is freakin insane! I hope this gym goes under. I mean who wants to work out at 80% wtf
    It won't go under. I can't find the actual quotes, but the CEO of this place was interviewed, and he was basically saying how he was trying to weed out all the "hardcore" people. He said for every "lunk" he loses, he'll gain 10 soccer moms/regular Joe's. Judgement free, hard work free... welcome to the new America.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I am so glad I have a power rack in my basement. Never stepped foot in one of these asstastic gyms, never will unless I'm on vacation or something and can't get to my basement.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

But the guy was grunting using a smith machine. WBB should be all over him for that.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    But the guy was grunting using a smith machine. WBB should be all over him for that.
    Pretty sure he doesn't bottom out on squats, either.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    i got kicked out of a Gold's once for Deadlifting, which i felt was ******ed, so i wouldnt even imagine trying to workout in planet fitness, i would get kicked out just for walking in
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    i got kicked out of a Gold's once for Deadlifting, which i felt was ******ed, so i wouldnt even imagine trying to workout in planet fitness, i would get kicked out just for walking in
    Isn't their logo a guy deadlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    It won't go under. I can't find the actual quotes, but the CEO of this place was interviewed, and he was basically saying how he was trying to weed out all the "hardcore" people. He said for every "lunk" he loses, he'll gain 10 soccer moms/regular Joe's. Judgement free, hard work free... welcome to the new America.
    Coming from a buisness perspective, this actually makes sense. However, it does still p*** me off, and I will never join a planet fitness as long as I ever live.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    Our planet fitness didn't even have a bench press. My brother asked where they were when we decided to see how it was (it was brand new) and the lady told him they were "frowned upon". We left.

But ten bucks, wow!
    Goals By October 11th
    Bench Press - 225
    Deadlift - 405
    Squat - 375 (formerly 300)
    Weight - 205 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 185 lbs
    Deadlift - 315 lbs
    Squat - 300 lbs
    Weight - 190 lbs

It does sound ludicrous and seems to encourage segregation but to be honest if you don't like abiding by their stupid rules then just don't lift there. Simple.
    I mean before you join or do a session surely they go over all the do's and don't s.

I certainly would not join a gym that was like this though. I'd probably get the LUNK alarm whilst squatting and blowing out a fresh one!
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 07-10-2009 at 07:31 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

This topic caught my interest, so I decided to do a little reading about Planet Fitness, and all I can say is WOW....JUST WOW:

http://www.answerfitness.com/135/pla...views-gym-and/

This was one of the articles I read, and holy s*** this place is the epitome of GARBAGE:

1.) They FAVOR machines over free weights
    2.) There are no "traditional pull-up bars" (WTF is a "traditional" pull-up bar???), but they do have assisted machine pull-ups
    3.) ABSOLUTELY NO SQUAT RACKS. Squat racks attract "lunks", lol. They do, however, have smith machines which they think are an acceptable substitute (read my post on my thoughts about smith machines...grrrrrrrrr)
    4.) LIMITED barbells
    5.) Dumbells only go up to 70 lbs. MAX

Okay so WOW, WTF????? I understand what they are going for....I guess. They are trying to be a not-so-intimidating gym. Like, a typical "hardcore" gym would not attract the masses like soccer moms, fat people, and average joes. In fact, those people would probably be scared of joining a hardcore gym like that. But Planet Fitness REALLY takes it to the EXTREME. Like, okay you want to attract soccer moms and s***, but at the same time you are going to deprive them of the equipment that will actually help them build muscle???? Like WTF???? GRRRRRRR...... Like they just want thier money, but they don't actually want them to get into shape.

I don't know why this p***es me off so much but it does. It's the principle of the corporate money-hungry pricks that come up with ridiculous ideas like these that really gets me. I guess it all comes down to the "fitness industry" and my hate for it. "Fitness" today, now means easy and convienient. "Being fit" means to be able to run on a treadmill for a long time nowadays. So when a fat b*** goes into the gym, and can't even run 5 minutes on the treadmill she is not "fit". But after a couple months, she is able to run 3 miles at a fairly high speed on the treadmill without being severely out of breath, but she is still fat as all hell, she is then "fit"????? Interesting.

I see plenty of soccer moms, average joes, etc....at places like LA Fitness. No LA Fitness is not my thing, but if my gym ever shut down I would join there, because there's no other gyms in my area. LA Fitness has a pretty good free weights section with plenty of heavy weights and squat racks. It's still pretty cheesy, and it promotes machine usage and all the crap the planet s*** promotes, but the good stuff is still available for the select few that actually want to....gulp....put in some hard work.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

No... would never work out at Planet Fitness, but owning a couple of them would make serious financial sense. Why not profit from other people's laziness and stupidity? I see no shame in that.
    Last edited by Tim K; 07-10-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    Dude, really!?! I thought Gold's was all about the powerlifting and bodybuilding!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Wannabebig New Member
    Possibly the funniest post Ive read in weeks. I gotta show this to some buddies. We dont up have PF's up here in the North where I live, so I have never even heard of something as redonkulous as a "Lunk Alarm".

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    "That my friend...... is a woman who looks like a man on camera."

hahah what a great youtube comment
    Yeah, I literally burst out laughing when I read that.

well those soccer moms and not commited people do bring in the most money and hardly use the place they also tend to spend the most on the drinks and shakes as most dedicated lifters have been coming long enough they found cheaper ways to get their goods. Every gym is catering more and more to the care free mostly treadmill using crowd. Cant blame em its where the money is.

Honestly the biggest guys at my Golds are some of the nicest. The worst people are some of the high school'ers both the ones who are dedicated lifters and the ones who come in just to hang out. Some of the teenage dedicated lifters personify every bad trait that the real dedicated lifters are known for... grunting way too loud, wearing as little as possible, and doing strange things to get attention. Theirs one guy who dresses real nice when he comes in either all white or all black clothing then as he starts working out removes pieces till hes down to a wife beater and shorts. Plus the cologne... good god when theirs enough of the young uns in there it reeks. It becomes a friggin dance hall.

But honestly the older dedicated lifters are some of the least judgemental fun to be around people easy to ask them for a spot and i cant think of a single one who is a jerk

Lame.

for ten bucks someone needs to sign up for a month, load up a bar with the most weight they can deadlift, do one rep and then drop the thing from the top and walk out shouting all kinds of judging type things....and videotape it of course
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    well those soccer moms and not commited people do bring in the most money and hardly use the place they also tend to spend the most on the drinks and shakes as most dedicated lifters have been coming long enough they found cheaper ways to get their goods. Every gym is catering more and more to the care free mostly treadmill using crowd. Cant blame em its where the money is.
    I belong to and work out at our local Y and it works fantastically for me -- there are a limited number of people who use the free weights and squat rack, and benches are almost always free. There are however, a ton of people who use the cardio and weight machines, and I see the same people there darn near every time I go. It's a heavily used facility and I'm sure that they could completely do away with the free weights and not suffer a financial loss. I my mind, as long as people are getting exercise, it doesn't matter if they're using free weights, machines or just doing pushups. Planet fitness doesn't look as us being their customers, there are significantly fewer of us than there are people who want machines and cardio so it makes good business sense. I don't like McDonalds so I don't go there, plain and simple. I don't see the problem.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    for ten bucks someone needs to sign up for a month, load up a bar with the most weight they can deadlift, do one rep and then drop the thing from the top and walk out shouting all kinds of judging type things....and videotape it of course

LOL. Just point at people. "You're fat and nobody loves you"

Haha. We should all see who can get lunked the most in a month. New contest on WBB.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    ive had a membership for 2 yrs. ive never been lunked but ive been warned that im about to get lunked about 3 or 4 times. lol