The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Stepping off the cardio and looking towards just weightlifting...

Hi everyone! (im new here) Anyway I've been working out regularly 5 times a week since february. I stripped down a lot of my weight and I'm pretty happy with it. But now I'm looking for muscle gains so I am giving up cardio. My average week was, monday - lift, tuesday - cardio, wednesday - lift, thursday - cardio, friday - lift, rest on weekends. But since I am giving up cardio, should I just rest on tuesday and thursday? Or should I divide my workout in half and... concentrate on upper body mondays, wednesdays, friday, and lower body on tuesday and thursday? I know you shouldn't lift every day but I will be working different muscles, good or bad?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

there is no need to totally give up cardio even if bulking. take a look at the stickies at the top. There are premade routines there you can use.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    thanks ill take a look

Doing some limited cardio is a good thing. The increased conditioning will help you push harder during your workouts and help you recover afterwards.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

actually this might blow your mind, but when I'm bulking I do way more cardio than when I'm cutting. Doing cardio will spike production of natural growth hormone releasers involved with the somatic sensations of hunger (ghrelin, etc) which will allow you to consume more food before satiation, thus which will promote more lean mass gains.

This no cardio when bulking thing is a result of people who simply don't want to do cardio and are looking for excuses to be fatasses.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 07-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I lift on a five day basis, then rest on the weekend, but I do 10 minutes of cardio before lifting. Try that.
    Goals By November 25th
    Bench Press 160 lbs for 6 reps
    Deadlift 200 lbs for 6 reps
    Squat 200 lbs for 20 reps
    Weigh 160 - 165 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 135 lbs
    Deadlift 220 lbs
    Squat - 185 lbs
    Weight - 182 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by T2ThaJoyal View Post
    I lift on a five day basis, then rest on the weekend, but I do 10 minutes of cardio before lifting. Try that.
    You should do your cardio after. Why tire yourself out before you are going to lift?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    actually this might blow your mind, but when I'm bulking I do way more cardio than when I'm cutting. Doing cardio will spike production of natural growth hormone releasers involved with the somatic sensations of hunger (ghrelin, etc) which will allow you to consume more food before satiation, thus which will promote more lean mass gains.

This no cardio when bulking thing is a result of people who simply don't want to do cardio and are looking for excuses to be fatasses.
    that's interesting. Never thought of it this way before.

It's probably not in yours/his best interest to lift 5 days a week. Especially as somewhat of a beginner you don't want to overtrain. You want to hit the compound lifts and keep your diet in check for whatever your goals are. If you haven't been doing so, check out Rippetoes. It sounds like you have been meeting your goals. What did your routine look like before?

Also, running is better after your workout imo. If you run before (maybe 10 light minutes of cardio is okay) you may tire yourself out for your workout. Just don't overdo cardio before you lift. It can be good, but it can also work against you

quite a few people do 10 min of light cardio before workouts as a warmup.

its not uncommon for me to do 10m on the elliptical before a workout

Ya just do cardio after you get done lifting. You can still bulk and do cardio at the same time. If you find you are having problems gaining weight, just eat more.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    that's interesting. Never thought of it this way before.

It's probably not in yours/his best interest to lift 5 days a week. Especially as somewhat of a beginner you don't want to overtrain. You want to hit the compound lifts and keep your diet in check for whatever your goals are. If you haven't been doing so, check out Rippetoes. It sounds like you have been meeting your goals. What did your routine look like before?

Also, running is better after your workout imo. If you run before (maybe 10 light minutes of cardio is okay) you may tire yourself out for your workout. Just don't overdo cardio before you lift. It can be good, but it can also work against you
    I just got my new membership and I do my brother's plan. Not sure EXACTLY what routines we do each day, but it's like

Monday - Chest and triceps
    Tuesday - Back and biceps
    Wednesday - Shoulders
    Thursday - Legs
    Friday - Cardio

Something like that.
    Goals By November 25th
    Bench Press 160 lbs for 6 reps
    Deadlift 200 lbs for 6 reps
    Squat 200 lbs for 20 reps
    Weigh 160 - 165 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 135 lbs
    Deadlift 220 lbs
    Squat - 185 lbs
    Weight - 182 lbs

I just got my new membership and I do my brother's plan. Not sure EXACTLY what routines we do each day, but it's like

Monday - Chest and triceps
    Tuesday - Back and biceps
    Wednesday - Shoulders
    Thursday - Legs
    Friday - Cardio

Something like that.
    well if you're still a beginner and he is not a beginner, then i wouldn't be using his routine. In your sig, it seems like you have some unnecessary exercises for starting out (imo).. Focus more on squat/dead/bench/oh press/rows.. chins and dips are good to add. You have probably been told to check out rippetoes.

Brandon- it seems you know what you want to accomplish and you've already had nice success. Good luck man!

Wannabebig Member
    Woah, I sparked a little bit of a conversation. Thank you every one for your advice. I'm actually surprised cardio can help bulking up. Because almost everyone I've talked to (family, friends, random people at the gym) didn't really recommend doing any more cardio if I'm looking to increase my muscle-weight. Infact, I was reading Men's Health a few weeks ago and they had a 4 minute exercise program that is supposed to burn as much as running for a half hour. (you do pushups for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, over and over til 4 minutes are up) Anyway with all that in mind, it just got set in my mind to stay away from cardio. Now I'll still do cardio, should I just not be as heavy? Normally I would go for an hour and rotate between sprint and jog every 5 minutes. Should I just do it as a 10 minute warm up before I lift? And since I am used to lifting regularly would it be okay to lift 5 days a week, as T2ThaJoyal suggested? thanks everyone =D

cardio and a warm-up are 2 totally different things. if you think 10 minutes on an elliptical before a workout/training session constitutes actual cardio, then you need to re-evaluate your aerobic conditioning.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Wannabebig Member
    I've been lifting faithfully for almost 7 months now (after taking many years off from bodybuilding) and I lift 6 days per week for one hour per day and each day I do 30 minutes on the eliptical. I think I've lost unwanted fat and gained muscle. Having been in bodybuilding for about 8 years (before my time off), I know when I'm loosing muscle. I eat healthy and drink two protein shakes each day. I'm full all the time and yet have dropped 60 lbs of fat and I think the muscle tone and size is good. So, I think I've found a nice balance between true cardio and weight lifting that works for me!

jinnc
    Last edited by JinNC; 07-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I do almost the same things and have great success. I like your goals dude very practical always good to have a goals to work towards.

that's a very generalized statement...
    Last edited by Cards; 07-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

It's really up to you on the cardio thing.

If you are used to doing cardio and stop doing it, you could either rest on those days or perhaps sneak in an extra weights workout as you have suggested. You'll need to listen to your own body and determine if you have the recovery ability to work out more with the weights.

I agree with several people in this thread though. I will ALWAYS do cardio because I want to actually be healthy and also it helps build up endurance and stamina which helps with lifting in general.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    that's a very generalized statement...
    I know Cards I was sorta (SORTA) kidding

but its kinda true though

Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 07-14-2009 at 07:49 AM.

I guess I would be considered one of those fatasses that doesn't do cardio lol, but I find it easier to put on weight while bulking. I have a pretty fast metabolism, so I’m constantly stuffing my face with food all day and I find that doing the cardio just adds to the load. However I do live a fairly active lifestyle, I'm constantly on my feet at work moving around, campus is huge and I walk everywhere, basketball.

As Daniel said, asses your lifestyle and your goals, it's all personal preference.
    Last edited by Cards; 07-14-2009 at 10:43 AM.

"I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

its not hard to put on weight with cardio sessions. Just eat a couple spoons more of natty peanut butter on days you do cardio. That will make up for the calories expended during the cardio session.

You'll end up with a greater release of growth hormone releasing compounds in your body and you'll be in better condition (shape) so you'll feel better.

Honestly there's no reason to skip aerobic exercise....its essential for being a healthy human.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08 View Post
    cardio and a warm-up are 2 totally different things. if you think 10 minutes on an elliptical before a workout/training session constitutes actual cardio, then you need to re-evaluate your aerobic conditioning.
    10 min of cardio before a workout I don't think would tire anyone out but it doesn't really help weightlifting. When I do a warm up I do no more than 5 min which in generally when I start breaking a sweat. I don't feel you need much,
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

its not hard to put on weight with cardio sessions. Just eat a couple spoons more of natty peanut butter on days you do cardio. That will make up for the calories expended during the cardio session.

You'll end up with a greater release of growth hormone releasing compounds in your body and you'll be in better condition (shape) so you'll feel better.

Honestly there's no reason to skip aerobic exercise....its essential for being a healthy human.
    Again these statements are generalized. If it's already hard to put on weight, adding cardio would surely make it harder. Id love to hear what Berfles would have to say about gaining weight and cardio, he eats around 5000 calories a day. I'm sure the last thing he wants to do while trying to bulk is eat more food than he currently is. Aerobic exercise isn't essential to be a healthy human either, it all depends on the life style of the person. I guess you could use the term aerobic exercise loosely and then maybe it would be considered essential.

Journal

Wannabebig Member
    cardio is goood

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonStore View Post
    Woah, I sparked a little bit of a conversation. Thank you every one for your advice. I'm actually surprised cardio can help bulking up. Because almost everyone I've talked to (family, friends, random people at the gym) didn't really recommend doing any more cardio if I'm looking to increase my muscle-weight. Infact, I was reading Men's Health a few weeks ago and they had a 4 minute exercise program that is supposed to burn as much as running for a half hour. (you do pushups for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, over and over til 4 minutes are up) Anyway with all that in mind, it just got set in my mind to stay away from cardio. Now I'll still do cardio, should I just not be as heavy? Normally I would go for an hour and rotate between sprint and jog every 5 minutes. Should I just do it as a 10 minute warm up before I lift? And since I am used to lifting regularly would it be okay to lift 5 days a week, as T2ThaJoyal suggested? thanks everyone =D
    Whoa, Men's Health is recommending Tabata protocols...what is the world coming to
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!