The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

20 rep Squat Routine

This is as far as my limited knowledge of weightlifting has gotten me... Now I'm looking to the experts to for help to fine tune my routine before I start it Monday. My initial plan is two six week cycles, separated by a month of regular SS, or I'm open to other things to do during the month off from the routine.

I want to at least try to do 20reppers three days a week. I recover very quickly, so I'm hoping it will be possible. Off days will involve active recovery on bicycle, and light calisthenics for my upper body.

Thinking of using the programming used in SS.

Workout A:
    Squat (1x20)
    25lb Pullovers (1x20)
    Bench Press (3x5)
    Military Press (3x5) or OH press (3x5)
    Chin ups (3xFailure) or curls (3x5)

Workout B:
    Squat (1x20)
    25lbs pullovers (1x20)
    Good Mornings (No idea) or deadlift (1x15 or 3x5 or 1x5)
    Bent-over Row (3x5)
    Wide-grip Pull ups (3xFailure)

There's a whole list of questions I have. I'm working on finding the answers but I thought I'd post this and see how many I can be lazy about

I don't think there are too many movements in either workout, but I may be wrong.

Workout A:

-I want to keep bench presses in my routine, as I'm still making decent progress on it. Most 20rep squat routines I've seen keep it, so I don't think there's much problem here.
    -Is a second pressing motion needed? I know SS uses two pressing motions, but it has them on different days. Should I separate them, or should I even have a second pressing motion at all? Or should I leave them on the same day? Which would be preferable out of Military and Overhead, and why?
    -Chinups or curls is just, sadly enough, because I'm in college and I want the stereotypical big biceps Pretty sure everyone will just say drop them, but which would be better if I keep them? I'm partial to concentration curls, but chin ups seem more effective.

Workout B:
    -I assume my legs will be cooked from the squats, so I don't think that conventional deadlifts are the way to go for back workouts. I've had back problems in the past, and I'd like to keep some back work in my routine to keep it strong. I've never done good mornings before, but they seem like the best fit for the routine, although stiff-legged deadlifts might be a good alternative. How many sets are what reps would you recommend?
    -Bent-over rows make it into a lot of routines I've seen. I thought I'd preserve them here for back/lat work.
    -Pull ups seemed the best way to finish off the workout in my opinion. Bad idea? Alternative?

I know this is a lot of questions, and I appreciate anyone who responds. I'll be reading as much as I can while this is up, but I'm having trouble getting responses that are specific to routines including 20rep squats, but I'm not entirely sure how important that is. Off to read more!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    If you have had back problems in the past I would not recommend the 20 rep routine at all. It places a lot of stress on your back(your entire body for that matter).

The last 5-10 reps will be breathing squats if the WO is done correctly and that places a lot of strain on your back so be careful.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

I've had a bunch of experience with 20 rep squat routines. I started weight lifting with a 20 rep squat routine, and I keep revisiting the 20 rep squats throughout the years. I absolutely LOVE/HATE them. My PR is 350x20. I've been there twice and thought it was going to kill me

So, since you seem like you're new to the 20 reppers, let me see if I can steer you in the right direction...

First of all, don't fall for the hype of starting with your 10 rep max. That will kill your progress right off the bat. Start with a comfortable weight (if there is such a thing) just like you would for any lift. Add 10 lbs to the bar every time you squat and pay strict attention to your form.

There are two ways to do the breathing. One is the "breathing" squat, where you MUST take 3 breaths between each rep. The other is "huff and puff", where you start off with one breath between reps and finish with as many breaths as you need to start the next rep. Which style you choose is up to you, but "breathing" squats are much harder and you won't use as much weight.

I see you are planning a set time period for your routine. In my mind, that's a mistake. You have no idea how far you can take the 20 reps, so to set up a time frame would be just a guess on your part. MILK THEM AS LONG AS YOU CAN.

20 rep squats are brutally hard, especially as you progress and start pushing yourself. At that point I don't see any way you are going to be able to do them three days a week. Perry Rader even admitted that two days a week is a much smarter way to go. Shoot, you're going to need those extra days of rest just to convince yourself that you want to do them again

My last piece of advice would be to eat like there's no tomorrow. Eat good wholesome foods and lots of them. 20 rep squats are a bulking routine, so take advantage of that.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

SS is good times. Its hard as everybody says. My experience is that the 14th rep is the hardest. After that I start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it gets easier. Keep calm, keep your mind in the squats and DON'T GIVE UP--stay mentally strong, do all 20.

Wannabebig Member
    I am currently doing a full-body routine on a 3 day split with 20-rep squats on the first day. A good piece of advice starting out is to do them last. After I am finished with the set I am lucky if I can rack it and walk to the water fountain. I also agree that you should start with once or twice a week not jumping into three times.

Doing them last is a really good idea as long as your other exercises don't drain you or weaken your back. I like to do them first and then take a 10 minute break before I do anything else. I've tried it both ways, and both work good. Just a personal preference.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I did the squats and milk (20 rep routine to most) twice last winter for 6 weeks each and loved it to death.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*