Thread: Will press ups/sit ups/chin ups get me bigger?

Wannabebig New Member

Will press ups/sit ups/chin ups get me bigger?

Hi, I'm new. I'm way too skinny for my age (18) and I go to uni in a year so want to get bigger before then. So I have about 13-14 months.

If I do daily sit ups/push ups/chin ups/running in the morning and night will I get bigger if I do it for a year?

I don't want to be ripped like you guys but I just want to be bigger and toned if you know what I mean.

I also plan to eat a lot more in this year.

What else should I do in this year? Free weights? I have some of those

thanks for any help
    Last edited by MaxM; 07-11-2009 at 07:02 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    No... no you won't. You'll get good at doing sit-ups, push-ups, and chin-ups. You need an actual routine.

Free weights? I have some of those
    I doubt you have the free weights required to get big. You should consider joining a local gym.

If you want to get serious about this, you could make some serious gains in 13-14 months with consistent hard work. You need to get your diet and training in check.

I'd read the stickies on this site and read all that you can.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-11-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    No... no you won't. You'll get good at doing sit-ups, push-ups, and chin-ups. You need an actual routine.

I doubt you have the free weights required to get big. You should consider joining a local gym.

If you want to get serious about this, you could make some serious gains in 13-14 months with consistent hard work. You need to get your diet and training in check.

I'd read the stickies on this site and read all that you can.
    Okay thanks for the help. I'd rather train at home than the gym though. My diet is bad, that's what needs the most improvement. I have very good stamina so training hard isn't a problem... I just don't know what to do!
    Last edited by MaxM; 07-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    And what are "stickies"?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104087
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99119

I'd rather train at home than the gym though.
    If that's the case, you need to get a power rack, a bench, an olympic barbell, and plates. The core of your routines should incorporate big compound movements, i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, etc. Movements that incorporate many muscles and allow you to move the most weight. To get big you gotta lift big and eat big. Your body wants to grow as a whole so you'll see the most benefit from doing compound lifts. Your diet is crucial in getting bigger and stronger.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig New Member
    If that's the case, you need to get a power rack, a bench, an olympic barbell, and plates. The core of your routines should incorporate big compound movements, i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, etc. Movements that incorporate many muscles and allow you to move the most weight. To get big you gotta lift big and eat big. Your body wants to grow as a whole so you'll see the most benefit from doing compound lifts. Your diet is crucial in getting bigger and stronger.
    Thanks a lot I'll have a good read. I have the whole summer off so want to start asap.

Wannabebig New Member
    I read them.

The nutrition one was good but the FAQ wasn't. I'm not sure if it was serious?

What would you recommend I do. Really appreciate some guidelines in terms of working out daily. thanks again

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar

Haha. Nailed it, Scarz.

Do this. And read that first link Scarz posted. Then do "Starting Strength." Buy the book, too. It will answer questions you haven't even thought of asking, yet.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Calories will get you bigger, lots of them.

Scarz hooked you up with resistance training advice.
    Last edited by MVP; 07-12-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxM View Post
    Hi, I'm new. I'm way too skinny for my age (18) and I go to uni in a year so want to get bigger before then. So I have about 13-14 months.

If I do daily sit ups/push ups/chin ups/running in the morning and night will I get bigger if I do it for a year?

Size will be due to your diet. Even the best routine in the world will not get you big, if the calories are not there to support growth.

I don't want to be ripped like you guys but I just want to be bigger and toned if you know what I mean.

Well it depends on how much bigger you want to be. It is possible to get bigger doing the above routine, particularly if you can add weight to these exercises...think of doing chins with a weighted backpack. But in order to achieve maximum size (assuming your diet is there,) your best bet is to join a gym

I also plan to eat a lot more in this year.

This is a good thing...as long as you don't take it as license to eat all the KFC that you want...

What else should I do in this year? Free weights? I have some of those

Free weights are usually a good idea...what amount of weights do you have?

thanks for any help
    So to recap, gaining size consists mainly of four things...in this order.

1. The desire to get bigger, and be willing to do what it takes.

2. Diet...eating mainly 'clean' foods.

3. Training, which should be built around compound exercises.

4. Rest and recuperation...as a rough rule of thumb you should have at least as many rest days as training days.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-13-2009 at 12:11 AM.

obviously you will get bigger, just not alot bigger, it will only be a few muscles getting bigger rather than your entire body which would be the result of a full-body workout

EDIT: and unless u put on weight or do weighted pressups/sit ups/chin ups you will get to a certain size and stay that size
    Last edited by Mr_Banger; 07-13-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Airsofter & Paintballer
    I second the Starting Strength thing. It works wonders, even for those who've lifted for a while. And like they already said, all you need is an olympic barbell, weights (don't get all bigger sizes though, because you will need a few smaller ones to add on pieces at a time like you're supposed with SS), and a bench. And motivation. And a good diet.

Basically, I'd just stuff myself with all the healthy stuff I could, and then work myself as hard as I possibly could in the gym. It isn't a good workout unless you feel like pushing the gas pedal is hard to do.

The thing is, motivation is the foundation of bodybuilding. If your body is doing the routine, but you're mind isn't in it, then I pretty much consider it ineffective. You can push the weights all day, but to get the max results, you must focus on working each muscle. So really, the first step is to decide to start working out. Then if you REALLY DO want to, then all the rest are just dominoes. The hardest part of a workout is the mentality to keep it going.
    Last edited by TremL96; 07-13-2009 at 05:40 AM.