The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

What happens to fat with weightlifting + eating healthy?

Most of the research I've been doing (on this website and on others) seem to suggest that cardio and weight lifting do not necessarily go hand in hand (cardio breaks down a lot of the muscle progress that you made during your workout, especially if you do SS). Rippetoe does not seem to endorse HIIT when you're doing SS either. If someone does SS and eats nothing but good, healthy food, does the fat just get replaced with muscle, or are you setting yourself up to gain muscle + fat?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    If you are eating less calories a day than you are using you will most likely lose fat and some muscle.

If you are eating more calories a day than you are using you will most likely gain muscle and some fat.

Some do not recommend cardio because it burns calories that could be used to build muscle.

More muscle means more calories used through out the day even while at rest.

Depending on where you are now in regards to your goals should dictate how you approach this. Other factors like your individual metabolism, activity level outside the gym, etc., will also affect whether you chose to do cardio or not. As far as cardiovascular health is concerned, it is debatable as to whether or not cardio is necessary along with weight training.

Muscle does not change into fat or vise versa, if that is what you meant. You can either lose fat or gain muscle. Although, rank novices can achieve both goals for a short time.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

if you do SS and are eating a great diet high protein moderate carbs/fat and watching intake then you will gain muscle and lose fat. If you stall out too early with progressing on adding weight to the bar every workout then this is probably a sign you are not eating enough or your recovery is off some other way (maybe sleep habits are poor or something).

You can definitely lose fat and gain muscle though at any point of your development (its not just for beginners as is often said on this board)...its called recomposition.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    if you do SS and are eating a great diet high protein moderate carbs/fat and watching intake then you will gain muscle and lose fat. If you stall out too early with progressing on adding weight to the bar every workout then this is probably a sign you are not eating enough or your recovery is off some other way (maybe sleep habits are poor or something).

You can definitely lose fat and gain muscle though at any point of your development (its not just for beginners as is often said on this board)...its called recomposition.
    I agree with this. Although it's not optimal for maximum size and strength gains, you can get stronger and gain muscle while getting leaner.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post

I am not sure about that. I am starting out at 130 lb(male) and 9% bodyfat. I am doing at least 4 hours of cardio per week. I am eating about 20% over maintenance(compensating for the cardio too), very clean diet. I seriously have my doubts that the weight I am gaining is all muscle, and I know for a fact I am not losing fat.

I think gaining muscle and losing fat while eating over maintenance might be possible for over fat people but not for skinny folks.

I am new to this game so I could be wrong.

Wannabebig Member
    What are some good high protein low fat foods...im tryin to lose weight..but to me keeping my strength is almost as important to me as losing weight is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    I am not sure about that. I am starting out at 130 lb(male) and 9% bodyfat. I am doing at least 4 hours of cardio per week. I am eating about 20% over maintenance(compensating for the cardio too), very clean diet. I seriously have my doubts that the weight I am gaining is all muscle, and I know for a fact I am not losing fat.

I think gaining muscle and losing fat while eating over maintenance might be possible for over fat people but not for skinny folks.

I am new to this game so I could be wrong.
    If you're 130 lbs then there's not much fat to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    If you are eating less calories a day than you are using you will most likely lose fat and some muscle.

If you are eating more calories a day than you are using you will most likely gain muscle and some fat.

Some do not recommend cardio because it burns calories that could be used to build muscle.

^^^ This ^^^
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Getting into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post

Depending on where you are now in regards to your goals should dictate how you approach this. Other factors like your individual metabolism, activity level outside the gym, etc., will also affect whether you chose to do cardio or not. As far as cardiovascular health is concerned, it is debatable as to whether or not cardio is necessary along with weight training.

Muscle does not change into fat or vise versa, if that is what you meant. You can either lose fat or gain muscle. Although, rank novices can achieve both goals for a short time.
    So, if you are starting at a relatively high body fat %, it would be recommended to cardio it before bulking?

I would cut a lot of fat off if I had high bodyfat. THEN I would start gaining lean mass. This would result in a better hormonal profile (the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen is located in bodyfat). So, a lower bodyfat results in more free testosterone (because less is converted to estrogen).