Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barbell curls

I like concentration curls.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Recently when I've been doing barbell curls my forearms have been killing me. Does this happen to anyone else? I love the dumbell curls though. I keep finding myself leaning back on barbell curls.

Wannabebig Member
    IMHO, you're better off using the Barbell Curl simply because when fatigue begins to set in, your shoulders will tilt forward by some extent, thus applying more tension on your anteriors .. you'll see more striations/cuts in the anteriors with people who do BB curls instead of DB curls.

Then again, I like BB curls ... anyone up for some 21's ?

Wannabebig Member
    The argument for primarily using Bar Curls vs. Dumbbells is a sound one. Single muscle movements consume nearly twice the energy and twice the time of the dual movement, which is why isolation exercises are so often the culprit in overtraining and stalled progress. Provided you only have so much effective energy stores & time (research indicates that overload training becomes counterproductive after a certain time frame) it makes sense to perform the dual and compound movements for a particular bodypart. Personally, I do both because I feel the DB's hit parts of my arms(which is a lagging bodypart for me) the bar curls don't ----however, I would never omit the bar curls because my primary goal is overall size and strength. In fact, I will mix in a 6-8 week cycle where I do very little direct arm work at all to keep my arms growing.

If you are primarily focusing on Compound Movements, and you are mixing some the single muscle movements to beef up a bodypart you are focusing on, more power to you----but don't take this concept overboard.

Wannabebig Member
    "Recently when I've been doing barbell curls my forearms have been killing me. Does this happen to anyone else? I love the dumbell curls though. I keep finding myself leaning back on barbell curls."

Todd,
    This occurs when you perform the Bar curls incorrectly. You are, most likely, trying to take the bar to your shoulders, which is knocking you back on your heels. Perform them like this: shoulders back, back straight, elbows tucked, legs shoulder width apart. Bring the weight up to where you forearms and biceps touch, and no further. There should be constant tension at the top of the movement (don't pull your palms in and try to rest at the top). Make sure the weight you use allows you to do them without swaying or compromising form.
    Also, try using a straight bar, the EZ bar can lead to bad form and some feel it doesn't work the bicep as directly or as fully.

Originally posted by Todd
    Recently when I've been doing barbell curls my forearms have been killing me. Does this happen to anyone else? I love the dumbell curls though. I keep finding myself leaning back on barbell curls.
    You could always use a EZ bar as opposed to the straight bar, less stress on the wrists with this I've found. Also to stop yourself cheating do your curls with your back flat up against a wall or other solid structure....this will stop you swinging.

To stop from cheating i find puttin my tows on the edge of a 1/2" matt and flexin abs good helps alot.

You could always use a EZ bar as opposed to the straight bar, less stress on the wrists with this I've found.

Easy bar curls are actually inferior to straight bar curls for stressing the biceps. They put the bicep is a weak position because the wrist is not fully supinated (rotated in a clockwise direction for the right hand). Your muscles are at their strongest in the fully contracted position and you cannot reach this position unless your wrist is fully supinated.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Easy bar curls are actually inferior to straight bar curls for stressing the biceps. They put the bicep is a weak position because the wrist is not fully supinated (rotated in a clockwise direction for the right hand). Your muscles are at their strongest in the fully contracted position and you cannot reach this position unless your wrist is fully supinated.
    Because of your advice i started using barbell's as opposed to EZ bars for curling.

I have noticed the difference already, thank you.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

just fuking curl.

I have tried the following method when training biceps and triceps for just 2 weeks and my arms have thickened up some:

biceps total sets 1
    I load up the olympic stright bar with lotsa of small plates so I can do about 6 drop sets with no rest in between until I cant even rep the bar itself, just keep on pumpin out the reps in strict form, once you hit failure take two small plates of and keep going etc Its the hardest thing I have ever done for biceps

For tris I do exactly the same thing using EZ tricep extensions for just one large drop set

No need for volume if you can generate enough intensity

Yeh I agree...

But my point was made because the guys forearms were givin' him grief and personally I've found that the EZ bar is less stressful on the wrists and forearms than the straight bar.

Just my two cents...

Wannabebig New Member
    I like to change up my routine every few weeks. I'll do dumbells a coule weeks, then barbells, then hammer curls, etc..don't know whats best. But I figure you can't go wrong changing up your routine once in awhile. I'm still gaining so, I'm sticking to it.

Teebone: The Prime Beef

I would always keep as a basic the BB Curls ( 4 sets ) and do DB's or Preacher too ( 2 or 3 sets more ).

----------------------------
    Someday...
    Keep pumping !

I am not going to argue which is better straight bar curls or ez bar curls. However, in terms of strength gains, there is no difference between the two. You are going to get just as strong using the same weight and reps with a straight bar or an ez curl bar. I use both bars in my curls, and my gains are the same on both bars. Some people have weak wrist and forearms relative to their biceps; so, using an ez curls bar allows them to curl more weigh or do more reps.

I use a straight barbell cause I didnt want anything to do with any peice of equipment that had the word EZ in it.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

MACHINE
    LISTEN TO CACKEROT. That's good, sound advice and probably the best I've seen in this thread so far.

[Edited by gino on 02-01-2001 at 12:49 PM]