Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barbell curls

Hybrid View

are they neccessary ?

I prefer to work with dumbells and the last few weeks have only used dumbells.

This is my workout for biceps.. Short and simple..

Incline seated alternate curls : 2 x 6-8
    One handed Hammer curls : 2 x 6-8

Do i really need barbell curls or are dumbells suffucient. You always hear that barbell curls is the big mass builder, or is it just strict curling in general ?

Cheers

I vote put the barbell curls in.
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

MACHINE
    I love barbell curls AND dumbell curls. I usually alternate from week to week. When you think about it though, it would make more sense that dumbell curls would be a better mass builder since more "stabilizer" muscles would be stimulated for balancing the dumbells vs the barbell. This may or may not apply in this situation, though...I'm not sure.

EZ/barbell curls 2 x 6-8
    Seated alternate dumbell curls 2 x 6-8

The best two bicep mass-builders available IMO.

(if you're wondering about forearms, i believe forearms are hit enough with deads....)

"Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

You don't NEED to use a barbell.

This will be a thinking out loud post:

I think they are both excellent exercises for the upper arms. I think dumbells work better for people with larger hands and forearms because the grip becomes more of a factor. A barbell is counter-balanced and allows you to use more weight without limiting the range of motion. The dumbell uses more of the forearm and stabilizer muscles (for balance). Again, strictly for biceps mass I would go with the barbell curl. Of course, you can do both exercises.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think you "need" to use barbell but I think I would.

Id pick Alternating dumbell curls, opposed to barbells...when doing alternating dumbell curls, turn you pinky towards your shoulder..Its all what you like best man.

[Edited by Life4ever on 01-19-2001 at 04:27 PM]

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I prefer BB curls, but both are good. I like to do BB curls followed by hammer curls and I'm done.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

i hate all bicep excercises. but i think that BB curls are the best of them. i find that 3 sets of them and my bi's are just about dead.
    LESS IS MORE

I think I may go back to ez curls soon...

2 sets of ez and 2 sets of dumbell curls..

Originally posted by Hulk
    I think I may go back to ez curls soon...

2 sets of ez and 2 sets of dumbell curls..

Be careful Mr Clough. You're thinking like a Geordie now...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Hulk, for bicep developement ez-curls are inferior to straight-bar. The reason is the position of your wrist. One of the primary functions of the bicep is supination of the wrist. You can only achieve a full contraction of the biceps with a fully supinated wrist. If your wrist is not fully supinated then you cannot maximally stimulate the biceps. When you use the ez-curl bar your wrist is not in a fully supinated postition. When you perform straight-bar curls your wrist is fully supinated.

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, they are needed for mass. Your muscles require the extra lift you get from barbells. Look at someone who only uses D-bells and then look at someone who uses basics like the bar. Once you do that your WILL see the difference, plus you really need to do more 4 sets of 6-8 just won't do it. Unless your Mike Menzter(now I feel sick) you have to actually work out to get muscle. Do Barbell curls 4 sets and incline d-bells 3 sets but tweak out your wrist, then do cable curls for 4 sets. That will work well.
    Doc

Doc, you're dead wrong. I have a friend who uses only dumbells and has better arms than some pros. You are correct that the barbell is more effective, but dumbells are a form of progressive resistance and therefore will stimulate growth if used properly. I am certainly not Mike Mentzer, but I grow quite well with 3 heavy sets for bis. I have many friends who also train with 5 sets or less for bis and have very large arms. If you don't take steroids, you should not do more than 3-4 total sets for bis. There are the occasional genetic freak who can get away with doing more, but even they would benefit from less.

Wannabebig Member
    And how long has your friend been training. You can't tell me he didn't do barbell curls to begin.
    Doc

He's been training for about 15 years. His name is Cliff Allen and he lives in AZ. He has never done barbell curls for any length of time. He can do seated dumbell curls with 80lb dumbells in extremely strict fashion.

Wannabebig Member
    15 years and never done then what about preacher. I'm not trying to say you must but to put on size you really can't beat them. Also that's the thing, most people do barbell at first then transfet to d-bell. After 15 years I would hope he has great arms. Like you said the wrist is sup. and really helps the bi's grow.
    Taste great.....
    Doc

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    I think that the BB-curl and preacher curl are the best biceps exercises.
    What about close grip pull-ups - does anyone even use them anymore??? I think that pulling up your own body weight with your biceps would be a good exercise....

Aar, Hulk - I also do 4 sets for biceps, Matey.

Wannabebig Member
    Closegrip pull ups are great actually. I do close pulldowns but that's me, used to do them all the time but not anymore. I don't know everything but being an exercise physiologist allows me to have a little info so he goes, I don't know anyone that would rather do D-curls instead of barbell curls for muscle size. Later on in lifting yes but not for a couple years. It just doesn't allow the muscle enough stimulation to grow to it's fullest. Sorry but that's my 2 cents. Hell I've been lifting for years and still prefer barbell to D's. Stick with the basics and you can't lose.
    Doc

Originally posted by Doc
    Closegrip pull ups are great actually. I do close pulldowns but that's me, used to do them all the time but not anymore. I don't know everything but being an exercise physiologist allows me to have a little info so he goes, I don't know anyone that would rather do D-curls instead of barbell curls for muscle size. Later on in lifting yes but not for a couple years. It just doesn't allow the muscle enough stimulation to grow to it's fullest. Sorry but that's my 2 cents. Hell I've been lifting for years and still prefer barbell to D's. Stick with the basics and you can't lose.
    Doc

As a physiologist, how do you explain that "it doesn't allow the muscle enough stimulation to grow to its fullest" assuming that the individual kept his arm supinated throughout the movement. Again, I prefer barbell curls, but you said that "yes they are needed for mass". How can you say such a thing. Does you physiology handbook state that growth only occurs with barbells. I was responding to this ridiculous statement.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    I also do close-grip pulldowns, but I think of it as a back exercise, by that I mean that I pull with my back while using my arms as "hooks".

I will agree with you on one thing, though - keeping it simple.

BB curls are the best biceps exercise there is.
    People are always trying to make it more confusing then it really is.

Until you can curl 100lbs with a BB, I wouldnt worry much about other biceps exercises.

Wannabebig Member
    Actually a study done in college showed that the muscles in the arm where greater stimulated by a movement such as a barbell curl or close grip bench as opposed to a standing dumbbell curl or seated overhead extension. This is simply because using both arms allows for better balance which allows you to better focus on the operating muscle. Sorry. Again I'm not saying its the only way but look at everyone with 20+ inch arms and find one who has only done dumbbell curls. I'll find the study and send it to you.

As long as you are saying it is not the only way. I myself said that I believe you get better stimulation from the barbell than the dumbell, but that doesn't mean dumbells won't work.

Wannabebig Member
    So are we friends again. Hope this didn't come across harsh but I'm blunt. So how about the superbowl, anyone going.
    Doc