The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The beggining of the rest of my life. P90X

So i've started p90x today.
    For background info. Im 230, 5 foot 9, roughly 37% Bodyfat (atleast according to my scale)
    Been struggling with my weight for around 10 years, im turning 23 august 5th. I have a lot of energy and I do actually go to the gym 3-5 times a week, but I know my eating habits are horrible. I can easily take down 3000-4500 cals a day, I often get carried away too much.

regardless I have started p90x today. My goal for the 90 days is to lose 25 pounds, and drop my Bodyfat 7%. Both goals should be fairly hard to achieve but thats why they're goals.

Attached are some before pics, Im so fat, but atleast I can look back at these and smile. Ill post new progress pics every 30 days.

Im going to be working off of 2200 cals a day roughly to start. Looking to do 50%prot, 30%fat, 20% carbs. Although i feel itll be tough to keep carbs so low, im gonna try my best.

I did p90x Chest and Back this morning and planned to do Ab Ripper X after. Well during the LAST 30 seconds of stretching (after the entire chest and back workout was over), I felt like I was going to throw up. Sure enough I did... It was all water, and I seriously drank around half a gallon during the 53 minute workout. Since I couldnt pull off Ab Ripper X I do plan to either visit the gym tonight for 20 mins of cardio and 100 or so crunches, or try the ab Ripper X at home.

Anyhow, Ill be updating this with what I ate daily, and will put my weight in weekly.

As for supplments, not taking so much.
    Multivitatmin when I wake up and a fish oil tablet. Whey protein shake 20 mins after workout, and a 2nd whey protein shake later in the day. My shakes have a wonderful 52g of protein each.

Anyhow Id love suggestions as to if I should take any other supplments. I have No Xplod but A lot of guys told me not to take it and thats its all gimmick. I do plan to possibly take muscle milk an hour before I sleep as some guys told me the Casein protein is great for digesting and working through the night.

edit: Forgot to post my starting measurements
    Waist - 43" (although odd since I fit into 38" pants)
    Right Bicep Unflexed - 14.75"
    Left Bicep Unflexed - 14.25"
    Right Bicep Flexed - 15.5"
    Left Bicep Flexed - 15"
    Chest - 44.25"
    Right Thigh - 26.5"
    Left Thigh - 25.75"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (26.9 KB, 532 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (21.8 KB, 501 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (24.2 KB, 36 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (27.1 KB, 521 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (14.5 KB, 43 views)
    Last edited by Shay; 07-13-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    :withstupi :alcoholic

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Was really busy yesterday and didn't have time to post a journal. Did plyometrics X, and it was killer. My glutes and thighs are KILLING me this morning. I didn't think I could make it through the whole thing but I pulled it off, and felt close to being on the verge of passing out once over.

I was damn proud of myself yesterday. Ive been on many diets before and living with my parents its hard to resist some of the foods they cook. Anyhow, so my sister and her husband came over yesterday and my dad loves to cook so he made me and my sisters favorite dish (chicken biryani), anyone Indian or a fan of Indian foods will know this dish is amazing.

Anyhow I watched all of them eat it, and just sat there eating my 7 grilled prawns and veggies. I have NEVER been able to do this before and I feel its my downfall. Everytime my parents cooked something amazin I would eat it and say "ill get back on track with my diet tomorrow," well it never worked that way and I'd always fall off the wagon. So I just need to keep my motivation up and moving.

I know I shouldn't have but I decided to check my weight and bodyfat after just 2 days of the diet and excercise. Im exstatic to say that I am down to 226.4 pounds, and 36.1% BF. Could it be waterweight? Possibly, but Ive been carrying a gallon jug around making sure it gets finished and then some, so on average im taking in 1.25 gallons a day.

Anyhow, will post another update tomorrow on today's workout. I might head to the gym tonight for some extra cardio as well.

edit: forgot to say I DID do ab ripper X Monday night as I was suppose to. My obliques were fire even until this morning. I never really focused on my obliques and has always just done straight crunches at the gym, so it was a nice feeling.
    Last edited by Shay; 07-15-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Well, did the Yoga X this morning. I know I should have completed it, but it was SOOOO boring. I did half of it (45mins), but I felt really bad about it, and went to the gym and did 30 mins on the eliptical (320 calories burned), followed up by 45 mins of basketball which made me sweat like a bitch. Mustv'e burned another 500 calories or more doing that. So I made up for the crappy Yoga day.

Today I think I ate around 2200 calories which is probably my heaviest eating day thus far. I wanted to do around 2200 a day but have only been getting around 1800-1900 a day in.

I think I've got my protein shake intakes down now. Ive been doing a whey protein shake an hour before my workout, and 20 mins after. At night I drink 2 scoops of muscle milk (casein prtein), about 2 hours before I go to sleep.

I need to work on lowering my sodium intake which is the next goal. I am usually having a boars head lunch sandwich for lunch, and am considering just buying rotisseire chicken break (removing the skin), and using that as my lunch meat. Should help lower the sodium.

Bought some extra dumbbells today because I needed em.

I havent quit Yet! Today is the 30th day. I kinda stopped updating as it got boring to update and was a semi time waster....
    Anyhow today I weight in at 217 pounds. I was really 232 on Day 1, so anywhere from a 13-15 pound loss in 30 days. Wouldve been more but my birthday was last wednesday so I was kinda bad last week and had 4 or 5 cheat meals! AHHHH. Anyhow.
    My measurements today are
    Waist - 41.25" (down 1.75")
    Right Bicep Unflexed - 14.50" (down .25")
    Left Bicep Unflexed - 14.50" (up .25")
    Right Bicep Flexed - 16" (up 1/2 inch)
    Left Bicep Flexed - 16" (up an inch)
    Chest - 42.25 (down 2 inches)
    Right Thigh - 25.25" (down 1.25")
    Left Thigh - 25.50" (down .25")

Looks like my arms kind of evened out in the 30 days. Pretty insane. And my thighs evened out too. Maybe I just took bad measurements day 1 who knows. But there were pretty damn accurate today. Im pleased. Ill post some pictures later

Hey shay good work on keeping with your goals.

Reading this has only reinforced my determination to reach mine.

I'm waiting for the pictures.
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-12-2009 at 07:08 AM.

pictures.

Looking at the pics I see a pretty decent change in my stomach as well as back. A lot less fat on the upper back, and the stomach has shrunk quite a bit. Maybe its my imagination but I dont know.

More pics, these are flexed.

Almost 1 year later
    These were 4 month pics from some online contest I did

Continued onto the next post due to image limit

Extra Pic

great job man. incredible transformation and proof that dedication is all you need!
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe