The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Spartan's HCT-12 Log - Journey to 250lb Bench

I'm very new to all of this, so please excuse anything I do wrong. I thought I should keep a log of my progress so those that know more about weight lifting can comment and give me some advice. I'll try and keep this updated, but I don't think i'll be updating it everytime I workout, as 4 times a week seems like too much of an update, especially when i'm not going to be making gains every workout. My routine will be the same everytime, as i'm somewhat following HCT-12, so I will just update this with any gains I have in strength or weight.

Height: 6'1''
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Current Routine:

Arm Day

Warmup -combination of pushups/pullups-

Flat Bench Press
    95x8
    115x6
    135x6
    155x6

Standing Dumbbell Press
    25x6
    35x6
    35x6

Dumbbell Row
    35x6
    45x6
    55x6

Dips
    3 sets x 10 reps

Abs
    Various ab exercises; usually do p90x ab ripper

Leg Day

Warmup -Treadmill or Bike for 5 minutes-

Squats
    115x8
    135x6
    185x6
    205x6

Deadlift
    115x8
    135x6
    155x6
    185x6

Standing Calf Raise
    -Haven't tried going up-
    135x10
    155x10
    155x10

Biceps (Dumbbell)
    -One arm at a time alternating; each arm gets reps listed below-
    25x10
    30x8
    35x6

Abs
    Same as always

I am sticking more to HCT-12 than before, but I have made slight adjustments (mainly just in the amount of reps). On every exercise except for Pull-ups, Dips, and Calf raises, I do the 12RM technique of HCT-12 where you d a set of 2 reps every 30 seconds for a total of 6 extra reps, I just didn't include that in the routine above, but I am doing that.

Let me know what you think, what I should adjust, etc. I feel underweight (despite still being a bit out of shape and not having any chest muscle) for my height, but I have picked up my eating habits. I weighed 176 8 days ago, so I think I am getting better with my diet.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Some extra information:

- I alternate between those 2 routines for 4 days a week (Monday is arm, wednesday leg, friday arm, saturday leg, etc.).

- HCT-12 lists abs for the leg days, but I want to try and shape up my chest more and feel like my ab workout doesn't work me out enough, so I do it during every routine now. I use to do the full p90x ab routine, but now I just do most of the exercises from the video in the gym but not as many reps (they do 25 per exercise, I usually do 15 since I do this every other day).

- I'll upload some photos soon, so at least I can see some progression in my looks.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Any input on my routine? I know I am working my legs out enough, they tend to be sore all throughout the week. Just concerned about my arms. I use to not follow any special routine, but did a lot more exercises on my arm days, including both flat and incline bench.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    If you are doing a 4 day split, why not just mix up the exercises every week or so?

Upper:
    Vertical pulling
    Horizontal pulling
    Vertical pressing
    Horizontal pressing
    Arm accessory (ie: Biceps on the first upper day, triceps on the second upper day)

Lower:
    Quad dominant
    Hip dominant
    Calf Exercise
    Other leg exercise.
    Look at the exercise list and perhaps change them every other day or so. OR if you like the repetition, perhaps alternate your exercises on the second day so you aren't doing the same thing twice in a week.

Don't think of your arm days as...well...arm days. Your arms will grow though compounds. Don't be another curl jockey If you feel like you can handle the additional volume for your upper body days, then do it. Just don't...for the love of God...be that guy who curls his life away.

There is a large list of exercises to choose from to develop your upper body. If warming up with pull ups gets too easy...add weight or change your grip. Changing from a pronated grip (pull ups) to a supinated grip (chin ups) is a whole new exercise. Mix things up. If you can, use a neutral grip. Again, be creative.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will most likely end up alternating some of the exercises every week. If I feel like I can handle more, would it be better to add on another exercise, or just do more sets/reps of the current exercises? You don't have to worry about me becoming a curl jockey, i've seen too many of them to ever think about doing that. I want to hit 250lb bench more than anything, so I always feel like I should be doing flat bench, which is why i'm always against replacing it with incline or some other exercise. I'm new to this whole experience, so hopefully i'll learn from any mistakes and get some good advice. I think my main concern right now is diet, but I seem to be getting better (lost 8 pounds over the summer because i'm an idiot, but have now gotten back to where I was and hope to grow even further)

Wannabebig Member
    Update:

Weight: 177

Dumbbell row: 60x6
    Dips: 3 sets x 15 reps

I feel like I only went up in dips because I didn't try pushing myself with them until today. But I did go up in dumbbell rows surprisingly, and I hope to reach 70 soon. Now about my weight. I'm not sure why I dropped 3 lbs. It could just be my weight going up and down throughout the day, but 3 lbs seems like a big difference, and besides I should be going up. I thought I was doing well with my eating habits, I was beginning to make gains in weight everyday and was hoping to reach 185 by the end of next week. I guess I am just more active than I was before college (ride my bike around campus daily, play soccer, etc), so I will start adding some more calories to my diet.

In addition to my comment: If you do feel like your arms are lagging, perhaps consider doing some isolated movements for your arms. It's really give and take.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    I think i'll stick with my current routine for a month or two and then start adjusting. I usually tend to assume i'm not doing things correctly, so this might just be another case of that. Thanks again for all the advice, i'll definitely try it if I don't notice gains.

Wannabebig Member
    Could I get some advice on some products I should buy? I plan to finally purchase what I need from atlargenutrition.com but I am not exactly sure what I should be getting. Instead of reading articles and possibly being convinced into buying unnecessary things, could someone shed some light on what I actually need. You can read my weight, age, and specifics above. I'm just looking for ways to gain muscle mass and possibly tone myself up a bit in the process.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanx View Post
    Could I get some advice on some products I should buy? I plan to finally purchase what I need from atlargenutrition.com but I am not exactly sure what I should be getting. Instead of reading articles and possibly being convinced into buying unnecessary things, could someone shed some light on what I actually need. You can read my weight, age, and specifics above. I'm just looking for ways to gain muscle mass and possibly tone myself up a bit in the process.
    Don't really *need* anything. Protein is nice and convenient, but it is no different from a good whole food source of protein. Creatine, fish oil, multi, and joint support are the main supps I recommend, in addition to vitamin C and Vitamin D drops.

Nothing you buy is really going to make a huge difference, and the vast majority of supps are waayyy, wayyy over priced.

good luck with your goals Spartan.

Have you tried Results by At Large Nutrition?
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    @chevelle That's what I figured, I just feel like my diet, as far as supplements and products go, is lacking. I could definitely use fish oil, never gotten that before. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

@thecityalive No I have not, but it sounds worthwhile. I'll look into it. Do you recommend it?

Wannabebig Member
    12/10/11 Workout

Weight: 178

Squats
    95x8
    135x6
    205x6
    225x6

Deadlift
    135x6
    185x6
    205x6

Standing Calf Raise
    135x10
    225x10
    295x10

Dumbbell
    25s x 6
    30s x 6
    35s x 6

Abs
    15 minute p90x ab routine

I've got exams monday/tuesday, so I won't be lifting weights (cramming instead ) until wednesday. That means i'll be skipping a leg day. I plan to max out on bench on wednesday so I can update my progress toward 250lb.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-11-2011 at 03:59 PM.

In regards to Results...I back it 100%. It is by far THE best training supplement I have EVER taken.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Glad I can see a recommendation from a real lifter, I always get skeptical about testimonials on sites. I've got nothing to lose, so I might go ahead and get that. Worst case scenario it doesn't help, but it's still extra calories which I could always use.

Real lifter? LOL I'm barely a real lifter. I'm just an aspiring powerlifter who has yet to get on the platform. I have, however, been weight training for years and know a good product when I see/try one. Results is that product. The calories is pretty insignificant. It is a HMB, Beta Alanine, creatine, and dextrose product. If you have a pretty rich protein diet, you should be set on protein, but RESULTS is pretty stellar for making strength and size gains. Look at my log I started in the summer...and compare my lifts to the lifts I have now.

Results and diet...woven in with a cord of hard work and dedication and you get where I am now.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Well, you know what I mean by a real lifter. Whether you're professional or not, it's just good to see someone that has used the product actually tell me how it is, rather than rely on supposed testimonials. I've got the hard work and dedication down, as far as the actual workout goes, my issue has just always been a lack of a diet/supplements. I'll definitely pick up Results soon, i'm just about ready to try anything at this point.

I just get real caught up in all of this. I'm not looking to compete, I just want to continue to make gains that are reasonable. I'm not experienced at all, so when I came here HCT-12 was a miracle; it's simple and apparently effective. But I get discouraged when I read other's routines or see people in the gym and they're routines consist of exercises i've never even tried or sometimes heard of. I feel like i'm missing out, and that is why I'm not making the gains. Maybe one day i'll learn enough and be more interested in the whole idea of competing, but for now i'm just an inexperienced 18 year old with hopes of gaining some muscle mass and reaching 250lb bench.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-11-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Good news!

12/12/11 Workout

Weight: 180.5

Warmup
    Pullups/Pushups

Flat Bench Press
    95x8
    115x6
    135x6
    155x6 x2 x2 x2
    115x8 (practices form more)

Standing Dumbbell Press
    30s x 6
    35s x 6
    40s x 6 x2 x2 x2 [PR]

Dumbbell Row
    45x6
    55x6
    65x6 x2 x2 x2 [PR]

Pull-Ups
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx8

Dips
    BW+25 x 6
    BW+25 x 6
    BW+25 x 6

Abs
    Shortened p90x ab routine

Two PRs and my weight back at 180!! I'm not sure where all the stamina came from, but today was a blast! I was originally going to lay off this week because of exams, but I had some spare time today. Not sure why I can't get my bench to go up though. I tried practicing my form more and might continue to do that after my 6RM from now on.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Just curious, how long does Results typically last? Need to decide whether I should grab two during the sale or if it lasts long enough to just wait.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-13-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Recommended usage is a serving a day. (even when you aren't training)
    This is the biggest sale I've seen ALN do in a while, so I'd take advantage of it. I'm about to restock some of my stuff before it runs out.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    Finally able to hit the gym tomorrow, had to finish exams and drive back home for break. Going to test out my 1RM on bench tomorrow, i'm hoping i've made a gain. As long as I can reach 250 by next summer, i'm a happy camper!

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, I changed up my routine a bit today because I worked out with my father. I had to do a light weight with incline bench though because i'm starting to get pain in my shoulder (I believe it's from the dumbbell press).

Weight: 179

Warmup
    Cardio 5 minutes
    Pushups

Flat Bench
    95x8
    135x4
    175x1
    185x1
    200x1 <---(Needed a bit of help halfway up)
    175x4
    155x6
    135x8

Incline Bench (Dumbbells)
    40s x 8
    45s x 6
    45s x 6 <---(Had to lower weight for shoulder injury; normally do 55s)

Pull-ups
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8

Dips
    BW x 15
    BW x 12
    BW x 10

Rope Pull-Downs
    62x15
    72x10
    72x10

Curls (Barbell)
    65x8
    65x8
    65x8

This was not HCT-12 at all, this is similar to what I was doing before HCT-12. This is the routine my father likes to do. It's a bit odd but it works out everything I need to, and I definitely felt it. Very excited that I got close to 200lb 1RM on bench (needed a bit of help, but definitely feel like it was close enough to be worth mentioning). Didn't mention it above, but I also felt 225lb on bench twice during the workout (just picked it up, lowered it a few inches, then racked it).

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry for the lack of updates guys, i've been very busy for the holidays! But boy do I have a big surprise!!

12/21/11 Workout

Warmup
    Cardio 6 minutes
    Pushups
    Lunges

Deadlift
    135x8
    225x1
    275x1
    305x1 <--(Failed)

*Strained tendon doing that last set*

Flat Bench
    135x4
    175x1
    200x1 <---(Failed)
    200x1 <--[PR]
    155x6

*Start to wind down/lower weights because of tendon in arm*

40s x 8
    45s x 6
    45s x 6

At this point, I decide to quit and lay off my arm before I injure it. I felt like I worked enough because of my new 1RM in flat bench. So there you have it, the good news is that I finally maxxed out at 200!! Hoping to heal my arm up and return to the gym after the holidays stronger than ever! Also, I have ordered Results

Also thought I should add that this was the first time I tried 1RM on deadlift. Since i'm home for the break I worked out with my father, and he believed that the 1RM deadlift was able to teach me the strain needed for 200lb bench. Looks like he was right.
    Last edited by Spartanx; 12-25-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    New update. Will resume HCT-12 when I return to college.

12-27-11 Workout

Weight: 182

Warmup
    Cardio 5 minutes
    Lunges
    "deadlifts" with cables

Deadlift
    135x8
    135x8
    185x6
    185x6
    (2 sets for each weight because I was switching grip each time)

Flat Bench
    95x8
    135x4
    155x2
    185x1
    200x1
    205x1 <--(Failed)

50s x 8
    55s x 6
    55s x 6

Pull-ups
    BWx10
    BWx8
    BWx6

Dips
    BWx15
    BWx10
    BWx10

Tricep Extensions
    50x8
    50x8
    (Just did these to help my injured tendon)

Curls (Dumbbells)
    20s x 20
    20s x 20
    (Low weight/high rep until my tendon heals)

Overall I felt like today was a great workout. Was able to do my newly acquired 1RM on bench again (200) as well as continue to lift without hurting my tendon. It should be back to full strength in my next workout.

Wannabebig Member
    New update. Will resume HCT-12 when I return to college.

12-27-11 Workout

Weight: 182

Warmup
    Cardio 5 minutes
    Lunges
    "deadlifts" with cables

Deadlift
    135x8
    135x8
    185x6
    185x6
    (2 sets for each weight because I was switching grip each time)

Flat Bench
    95x8
    135x4
    155x2
    185x1
    200x1
    205x1 <--(Failed)

50s x 8
    55s x 6
    55s x 6

Pull-ups
    BWx10
    BWx8
    BWx6

Dips
    BWx15
    BWx10
    BWx10

Tricep Extensions
    50x8
    50x8
    (Just did these to help my injured tendon)

Curls (Dumbbells)
    20s x 20
    20s x 20
    (Low weight/high rep until my tendon heals)

Overall I felt like today was a great workout. Was able to do my newly acquired 1RM on bench again (200) as well as continue to lift without hurting my tendon. It should be back to full strength in my next workout.