Thread: deadlift wsb routine...

deadlift wsb routine...

Over a week ago I finished up my copy of louie's book and decided to give it another try... I figured I would post my routine. Let me know what you guys think.

Sunday - ME Squat/DL day
    Max effort exercise - I did DL two weeks in a row. I plan on cycling low box squat, GM, concentric GM, rack pulls, and deadlifts as necessary.
    Good Mornings - 3x8 (is this enough volume?)
    Back Raises - (the book said work up to a heavy set of 3-5 reps) so I did 3 sets of 4 reps with the appropriate weight... is this correct?
    Abs

Monday - Extra Workout/Restoration
    Pull-through squats - 3x15
    Rows of any kind - 3x8 (again volume?)
    Abs

Tuesday - Extra Workout/Restoration
    Lats of any kind - 3x5-8
    Band Leg Curls - 3x15
    Abs

Wednesday - DE Day
    Box jumps off a 12" box onto a 24" box - 3x15
    Speed work such as box squats at 40-50% with a 3 week pendulum.
    GHR on the 45 degree hyperextension machine - 3x10 (should I leave it at this or is 4x6 better?)
    Pull-throughs for lower back - 3x15
    Abs

Thursday - Extra workout/restoration
    Rows of any kind - 3x8
    band leg curls - 3x15
    abs

Friday - extra workout/restoration
    lats - 3x5-8
    band leg curls - 3x15
    abs

Saturday - extra workout/restoration
    band leg curls - 3x15
    abs

Obviously when it comes time that I stop progressing with those accessory exercises I'll switch them up, but thats the general idea I had. What do you think?
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

Are you not doing bench/upper body work or did you just not post what you are doing for that?

What is your exp. level? How long have you been training, etc. Extra workouts and restoration work is great, but sometimes newer trainees can over do it. I know I did at one point and saw better results and pr's from making sure my restoration work was doing just that and not hampering it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    Are you not doing bench/upper body work or did you just not post what you are doing for that?

What is your exp. level? How long have you been training, etc. Extra workouts and restoration work is great, but sometimes newer trainees can over do it. I know I did at one point and saw better results and pr's from making sure my restoration work was doing just that and not hampering it.
    I don't do the bench. I do upper back but not chest and such. I would have to say I'm a beginner.
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtron View Post
    I don't do the bench. I do upper back but not chest and such. I would have to say I'm a beginner.
    Not trying to be a wise at in any way but, why not? And if you are a true beginner Westside probably isn't the best way to go right out of the gate. I think you need to build a foundation through simplicity first. Or use a Westside template and keep it simple and do a lot of reps and build a foundation rather than just jump into singles/triples, etc.

I'll say it for the 87th time here on these boards, read this:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm

you need to bench.

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    you need to bench.
    Yes..
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I mean I just don't see why I need to bench...

benching is the most important upper body compound movement. you also need one to total. can i ask why you don't? not to be mean but is it because it is weak? everybody starts somewhere. it's time you start benching son.

benching is the most important upper body compound movement. you also need one to total. can i ask why you don't? not to be mean but is it because it is weak? everybody starts somewhere. it's time you start benching son.
    Not even that. Its obvious that its weak. Its more so that I want to focus on the deadlift. I mean people focus just on the bench and a lot only benched.

i hope you start benching soon. you will be glad you did. you can bench and still favor the deadlift. btw, if you get that squat going, your deadlift will skyrocket. OH, and bench only guys still squat and deadlift. again, i hope to see you bench soon. stay strong.

i hope you start benching soon. you will be glad you did. you can bench and still favor the deadlift. btw, if you get that squat going, your deadlift will skyrocket. OH, and bench only guys still squat and deadlift. again, i hope to see you bench soon. stay strong.
    Thanks i shouldve mentioned that i do squat. Im gonna low box squat this sunday and next. Maybe ill bench one day. Ill think about it.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Thanks i shouldve mentioned that i do squat. Im gonna low box squat this sunday and next. Maybe ill bench one day. Ill think about it.

I hope Travis Bell sees this thread and chimes in, he can talk to you about this. Travis is a "Bench Only" competitor, and a damn good one, but he still trains his deadlift and squat. It's very important for your overall strength. It's fine of you want to concentrate more on the deadlift but if you don't bench you are just hurting your overall performance, including in the deadlift.

So will you be competing in deadlift only competition? Or do you plan on just throwing in a token bench at full meets and getting a ****ty total?

I find it really weird that someone wouldn't train the bench AT ALL. I get that its not a priority, but its 1/3 of powerlifting. Plus it develops the beach muscles haha.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    So will you be competing in deadlift only competition? Or do you plan on just throwing in a token bench at full meets and getting a ****ty total?

I find it really weird that someone wouldn't train the bench AT ALL. I get that its not a priority, but its 1/3 of powerlifting. .
    this is my thoughts exactly....... wierd..... a little too wierd....

There's only so much training you can do for the DL, so you might as well train the other lifts as well. You can certainly do this and still prioritize the DL.

Fine! Fine! Sheesh lol. I don't care about beach muscles lol. I was planning on doing it eventually I can definitely use the shoulder strength. I don't care about the total. I care about the deadlift. Look I understand everyone's point. I enjoy what I do. I want to keep enjoying it. Since this is a hobby for me and not bread and butter, I think first and foremost it should be fun. I used to bench. I dunno if its in this journal or not, but I did well and I enjoyed it. I even used chains and saw amazing results. I might just Bench once a week without a speed day. I feel with all these extra workouts that I prefer during the week for the deadlift I'm progressing not necessarily faster but more efficiently. Thanks again all.