The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Westside Barbell Training

I started a thread in the bodybuilding forum but thought I would post it over here too. I was curious how WSBB differs from SS, and if SS is a poor alternative to doing something that Louie Williams stresses.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Who is this Louie Williams person?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Who is this Louie Williams person?
    Founder of Eastside Dumbbell i think.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    Founder of Eastside Dumbbell i think.
    hahaha ah, I see. I had heard something of his shennanigans

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Ha, Louie Simmons, my mistake, that's what I get when I try to forum hop while working.

Haha you guys are dicks =P.

Aterry, his name is Louie Simmons and Travis actually trains with him haha. WSBB is for more advanced powerlifters whilte Starting Strength is exactly that... for those starting out. Don't think that because it is a simple routine it won't be incredibly effective for building muscle / power.

What you use depends on your experience I think.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Why do people think WSB training is for advanced lifters only? A WSB template can be for anyone looking to gain strength. I have seen starters use the template as well as advanced guys and everyone in between. The exercises and types/amounts of resistance might need to be evaluated depending on the lifters experience and needs, but the template can be used by any level of lifter....imo
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Why do people think WSB training is for advanced lifters only? A WSB template can be for anyone looking to gain strength. I have seen starters use the template as well as advanced guys and everyone in between. The exercises and types/amounts of resistance might need to be evaluated depending on the lifters experience and needs, but the template can be used by any level of lifter....imo
    I completely agree. I've used the WSB template on very inexperienced lifters who have had great success with it.

I completely agree. I've used the WSB template on very inexperienced lifters who have had great success with it.
    I agree 100% that the methods work for beginners. I think the issue is it can be difficult for a beginner to implement them on their own without an experienced coach. You definitely need someone that can watch you lift and identify your weaknesses. The experienced coach great accelerates the learning curve for that. I can only imagine how fast the learning curve is when the coach is Louie.

As an example, I had misidentified my DL weakness. I would get to below my knees and my upper back would round. I figured that meant my upper back was weak. When I went to Louie's seminar, I asked him about it since upper back work wasn't improving my deadlift. He said it was a weak lower back. My lower back wasn't strong enough which kept my hips behind me. That is why my upper back rounded over. I increased the lower back work and quickly set a deadlift PR, then 2 months later set a 27 lb PR in a meet.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

My apologies, I never meant that beginners couldn't gain muscle on WSB routine, simply that I thought it was a routine that worked better with a good coach especially to give advice on the program/form.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Nothing to apologize for tomv, it's a common misconception

Any program works best with a good coach to give advice on form, technique and exericse selection, unfortunately many don't have that luxury.

Equipped with the correct information, beginners can still utilize the Westside method so long as they have trusted spotters and some basic equipment.

Without a coach you're still not going to get the maximum benefit, but in comparison to other methods you're still going to make awesome gains.

professional psychopath
    hahaha ah, I see. I had heard something of his shennanigans
    I swear to God I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans.
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes

Banned
    Shenanigans