Thread: Abs recommendations

Wannabebig Member

Abs recommendations

I'm curious what exercises/lifts you guys recommend for ab work. And how often should ab work be done?

I've been cutting for a bit, and soon will get a glimpse of what lies below the layer of fat that built up on my stomach during my bulk. I'm concerned that I will be disappointed with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I'm curious what exercises/lifts you guys recommend for ab work. And how often should ab work be done?

I've been cutting for a bit, and soon will get a glimpse of what lies below the layer of fat that built up on my stomach during my bulk. I'm concerned that I will be disappointed with the results.
    if you've been doing the core lifts like squat/dead you should see your nice set of abs. Hell, if you really did bulk well and cut down while increasing your lifts, that alone will let you see your abs. I personally like planks for my abs (and that is really all i do, used to do russian twists)... my 6 pack is pretty visible. You can add decline situps if you want, but i recommend planks. There is actually an article about it on here. I haven't read it, but i would imagine it's about the benefits of doing planks.

EDIT: abs are like any other body part for the most part. Doing them weighted will help them grow.
    Last edited by JRider23; 07-14-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    There is actually an article about it on here. I haven't read it, but i would imagine it's about the benefits of doing planks.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/g...or-killer-abs/

Voila!
    Last edited by TremL96; 07-14-2009 at 08:55 PM.

just because you do squats and deadlifts doesnt mean your abs are going to show when you lose fat. everyone is built differently. i have squatted and deadlifted for 3 straight years with low BF% and mine are still barely visible.

my top reccomndations, one for abs and one for obliques would be :

weighted glute ham raise sit ups

uneven bar bends for obliques

do 4 sets of 10 or so, 2-3 times a week, and that should add mass to your abs. dont do only these two, do other things people reccomend, those were just my two cents.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    my top reccomndations, one for abs and one for obliques would be :

weighted glute ham raise sit ups

uneven bar bends for obliques
    Mind elaborating on how to do these workouts. I'm also not very familiar with a good bit of the ab exercises, and these sound interesting.

Wannabebig Member
    Some medicine ball exercises can't hurt, google "Tar Heels Workout" for a good starting point.

Easy to do at home so you won't be tempted to skip them, and a good medicine ball is only $40.

Edit: I was also going to say planks, but someone already mentioned it
    Last edited by Janosik; 07-14-2009 at 09:38 PM.

this is a GHR situp. try to mimic the machine if you dont have one, find something to hook your feet under, etc. try to go deeper too but watch strain on lower back. straight legs arent necessary, slight bend can be permitted but only slight. keep the stress on your abs.

uneven bar bends are hard to explain and i cant find a video. but load the bar with weight on ONE SIDE only, double clip it, and load it on your back like your gonna squat it with the bar in the middle like normal. bend down to the side with the weight on it in the natural motion of your obliques and abs, and come back up. like i said its hard to explain but try it out and youll figure out the way to do it eventualy.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Oh yeah, what jed said reminded me of the "slosh pipe," there are a lot of videos on youtube. It's basically a big PVC pipe filled partially with water so you need to use your whole body to balance it while doing exercises, especially your torso.

Banned
    dragon flag, hanging leg raises do wonders for me

Wannabebig Member
    I would recommend dead lifts, leg lunges, and squats and be sure that everytime you do them, the weights will be challenging because once the core receives so much stress(by doing the above exercises), it will activate all of its area to submit to the challenge and thus develops your rectus abdominus to chisel effect.

^--eh?

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by gethotabs View Post
    I would recommend dead lifts, leg lunges, and squats and be sure that everytime you do them, the weights will be challenging because once the core receives so much stress(by doing the above exercises), it will activate all of its area to submit to the challenge and thus develops your rectus abdominus to chisel effect.
    Lol?

You can do all the ab excersises in the world...if you BF and diet are not in check than your not really gonna see them.

Find a few excersises you like and do them. Many mentioned above already.

One neat one i found are the shovel lifts! give them a try. Hard as hell!!
    Last edited by blownby; 07-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Wannabebig Member
    We have this ab pushdown machine at our gym. Sit in the chair and turn your torso to the right, push down by using your chest, and do ten reps. Do the same thing, except ten reps with your torso to the left. Then finally, ten reps facing forward.
    Goals By January 5th 2015
    Bench Press - 225
    Deadlift - 455
    Squat - 365
    Weight - 205 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 185 lbs
    Deadlift - 405 lbs
    Squat - 325 lbs
    Weight - 192 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by gethotabs View Post
    Your username is 'gethotabs' and this is all that you can come up with?

Visible abs are a mostly a product of bodyfat levels and genetics.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    I've been adding weighted roman chair sit ups for 3x5 after my SS workouts 3x a week. Training them for strength just like everything else. These definitely kick butt! (Same as the GHR sit ups.) I quit doing direct oblique work for now since I already have a blocky midsection, and a little work there seems to have gone a long way.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe