The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Shirts always break in. Just the way it is.

The majority of people who wear single ply gear wear it much much tighter than double ply shirts. They need to be that tight to get much out of them.

I'll say this one more time - the shirt is NOT bad

The pop was lost because the chest plate broke in. Next time get a size smaller chest plate and possibly the same size arms as you already have

I don't care if your form is consistent. That's pretty bold to say you're sure it's not your form, but just because you are consistent doesnt mean it's good. Many people are consistently poor in their technique.
    haha, im just a bold guy. JK, but really it shouldnt be my form. I do the same thing EVERY time I bench. I went to nationals in Denver last month and everyone said I had really good form and a great arch. (not saying im the best, but just saying my form isnt bad) Im sure I could use some pointers, but with what I got/know i feel im benching to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    have the chest taken in now and see what happens.
    Would that be legal to take to a comp?

Fighter,

I use a Titan Katana & F6... (3) weeks shirted then (1) week raw...

Heavy Raw board work(2-3-4 bds.) every week after the shirt though. Shirt work frequency depends a lot on your recovery as I think it harder on your CNS than raw work.

Good luck bro.. Once you learn gear you'll love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    Fighter,

I use a Titan Katana & F6... (3) weeks shirted then (1) week raw...

Heavy Raw board work(2-3-4 bds.) every week after the shirt though. Shirt work frequency depends a lot on your recovery as I think it harder on your CNS than raw work.

Good luck bro.. Once you learn gear you'll love it!!!
    Yea everyone tells me that once I learn gear that I'll love it. Right now I don't like it very much because I know very little and it's not helping me lol. It will be fun taking the challenge on figuring it all out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter_15 View Post
    Yea everyone tells me that once I learn gear that I'll love it. Right now I don't like it very much because I know very little and it's not helping me lol. It will be fun taking the challenge on figuring it all out though.
    You will love shirts once you get to figure out what works best for you, I been training in a regular Fury that i can put on in less than 5 min and i just figured out the perfect twist on the sleeves to get it tighter. Had a hard time bringing 365 to 2in from my chest when I usually bring 335 to that point fairly easy. the pop was better too. And the shirt bites on the back of my armpits are purple...lol
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

fighter,

Thats what this boards for man... You have some of the best benchers/ PL'ers on the planet right here @ WWB forum!

I'm a newbe w/ the gear myself but these guys have helped me tremendously over the past 5-months... BTW, post a Video, as this is the best way to get help w/ gear & technique issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Shirts always break in. Just the way it is.

The majority of people who wear single ply gear wear it much much tighter than double ply shirts. They need to be that tight to get much out of them.
    I actually wear a single ply Rage X, it is loose enough I can get into it with no help, I train in it almost every week for 8 weeks, I'll use it for quite a few meets, it doesn't lose it's "pop" and I get close to 200lbs out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by evilxxx View Post
    You will love shirts once you get to figure out what works best for you, I been training in a regular Fury that i can put on in less than 5 min and i just figured out the perfect twist on the sleeves to get it tighter. Had a hard time bringing 365 to 2in from my chest when I usually bring 335 to that point fairly easy. the pop was better too. And the shirt bites on the back of my armpits are purple...lol
    Yea the first time I put my shirt on I had a few bruises lol. It wasn't anything to bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    fighter,

Thats what this boards for man... You have some of the best benchers/ PL'ers on the planet right here @ WWB forum!

I'm a newbe w/ the gear myself but these guys have helped me tremendously over the past 5-months... BTW, post a Video, as this is the best way to get help w/ gear & technique issues.
    I've noticed there's a lot of really strong guys on this forum. It's insane the weights some of these guys can throw around. I plan on putting a video on here for the bench press because I'm sure my form is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by drbill View Post
    I actually wear a single ply Rage X, it is loose enough I can get into it with no help, I train in it almost every week for 8 weeks, I'll use it for quite a few meets, it doesn't lose it's "pop" and I get close to 200lbs out of it...
    You would be the exception to the rule then, but also your technique is probably pretty good.

Getting pop out of the shirt has mostly to do with hitting the groove of the shirt, along with the correct sizing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I touched in my Apex singleply and haven't really used it since. Ill get in it when I'm prepping for my next meet, probably every other week. I concentrate more on my raw power usually.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

OK since there was a request from Vincent here is my two cents. If you want to be good in a shirt live in it. Simple ass that. Now if your a beginner or novice lift I would recomend trying to touch atleast two or three times during a work out session. Brds are great for building strength which is a must. If your doing a meet in September you should be in it every week for atleast 6 sets. The shirt will loosen up a little but not so much that it will make a diference in your performance. To start out just put the shirt on regular don't jack anything up for your till after you have touched a dozen or so times.

Now keep in mind this advice was my take on new lifters and novice lifters aproach to shirted benching.

Frey is a freak and to smart for a powerlifter.

I think you should go to a bench seminar. I heard there is one in IL in a couple of weeks. Couple of bald bench gods spewing out knowledge and working 1 on 1 with you. Just don't take their advice on barbers. LOL
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I think you should go to a bench seminar. I heard there is one in IL in a couple of weeks. Couple of bald bench gods spewing out knowledge and working 1 on 1 with you. Just don't take their advice on barbers. LOL
    Still some room left. And for the record I don't go to a barber I go to a stylist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Yea that would probably be a very good idea.