Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should I use my shirt?

Hybrid View

How often should I use my shirt?

I have a bench press shirt. It is the Inzer Rage X. How often should I be training with it on?

That's a little vague...it depends on your plans. Are you going to compete? If so how far away is the meet? If your not competing, then no reason to.
    Last edited by Brian C; 07-14-2009 at 07:30 PM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I'm going to compete. The next meet I can go to probably isn't until September at least.

How much experience do you have so far using bench shirt? Is this your first shirt / just learning to use it? How much do you bench with and without the shirt? Does shirt benching beat up your joints much? All these things will play a role in how often you can / should be in the shirt.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighter_15 View Post
    I have a bench press shirt. It is the Inzer Rage X. How often should I be training with it on?
    Train in the shirt often if you plan on competing. I would do 3 shirted workout to every 1 raw. But the catch is if you use the shirt, it will loosen up and wont work aswell. So use boards with your shirt, like 2/3 boards. Try to keep it that way so your shirt will stay tight, just make sure you touch once or twice before your meet.

Don't use 2 and 3 boards all the time. You are new to shirts and need to learn the technique it'll take to touch.

The RageX won't stretch out nearly as quickly as some other shirts.

I would not get in it any longer than 2 weeks straight. More than that and you'll begin to get frustrated and your strength may begin to go backwards. I (along with the rest of Westside) only get in my shirt about once a month and spend the rest of the time getting stronger raw.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Don't use 2 and 3 boards all the time. You are new to shirts and need to learn the technique it'll take to touch.
    The RageX won't stretch out nearly as quickly as some other shirts.

I would not get in it any longer than 2 weeks straight. More than that and you'll begin to get frustrated and your strength may begin to go backwards. I (along with the rest of Westside) only get in my shirt about once a month and spend the rest of the time getting stronger raw.
    Thats true, I didnt take that into account. But the shirt will loose power if he keeps touching. Mine lost a lot because thats all I did. Took about 10 good workouts before it started to lose power.

But with him not knowing his shirt, and the competition is september, he should be in his shirt more than once a month or even two weeks (which is 4 good workouts). You guys are experts on shirts so you know what to expect, he does not. So he should live in his shirt until he gets good with it.
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 07-14-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    Thats true, I didnt take that into account. But the shirt will loose power if he keeps touching. Mine lost a lot because thats all I did. Took about 10 good workouts before it started to lose power.

But with him not knowing his shirt, and the competition is september, he should be in his shirt more than once a month or even two weeks (which is 4 good workouts). You guys are experts on shirts so you know what to expect, he does not. So he should live in his shirt until he gets good with it.
    No his won't lose power Jesse. If I thought it would lose power I'd have said so.

I told you why your shirt would stretch out a long time ago, but you didn't believe me. I flat out told you that the single ply Phenom will stretch out after about one meet training cycle. You wanted to stick with it though.

You can't take the experience from one shirt and apply it to all. I've worn just about all the shirts out there, except for the Katana and the Apex shirt and the Rage X will last much much longer than a single ply Phenom. The double ply Phenoms however will last a long time as well. I've had mine almost a year and it's still going strong.

I also never stated that he should only get in his shirt once a month, I said that's what we do.

I recommended he get in it at the most every 2 weeks.

Do you think this is the first person I've ever helped learn a bench shirt? I don't just make this stuff up
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 07-15-2009 at 12:20 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    No his won't lose power Jesse. If I thought it would lose power I'd have said so.

I told you why your shirt would stretch out a long time ago, but you didn't believe me. I flat out told you that the single ply Phenom will stretch out after about one meet training cycle. You wanted to stick with it though.
    You can't take the experience from one shirt and apply it to all. I've worn just about all the shirts out there, except for the Katana and the Apex shirt and the Rage X will last much much longer than a single ply Phenom. The double ply Phenoms however will last a long time as well. I've had mine almost a year and it's still going strong.

I also never stated that he should only get in his shirt once a month, I said that's what we do.

I recommended he get in it at the most every 2 weeks.

Do you think this is the first person I've ever helped learn a bench shirt? I don't just make this stuff up

I know what you said, I agree with you 100%, I've only worn 1 phenom for one meet. and like you said, it was done for.

However, I wouldnt of even put my 2 cents in if I wasnt referring to the RageX. Mine wore out really bad after 10 workout

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    However, I wouldnt of even put my 2 cents in if I wasnt referring to the RageX. Mine wore out really bad after 10 workout
    Then either you just didn't know how to use it or it was too big when you first got it. There is no way it wore out after 10 workouts

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    if you compete in a shirt take the time to learn how to use it.......

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    we training for meet were in a shirt every week. rotating from a loose to a tight shirt week to week. when not training for a meet maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks just to feel heavy weight.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    I like to put my Inzer Rage X on once a month for 2-3 straight months before a competition. When I don't have a meet for several months, I don't use my shirt hardly at all. Instead, I like to work on improving my unequipped bench press, triceps and back.

Some lifters can handle a shirt every week, or two weeks or once a month. You have to find out works for you and listen to your body. I can't use a shirt once a week or every two weeks because my body just don't recuperate fast enough. One a month works great for me.

Good luck with your training and post your workouts for feedback!!
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

I been doing the shirt once and twice a week, a regular fury I can put on in less than 4 min. Still feels the same and its not even the new material is the old NXG+...thats whats been working for me the best. But I dont go full range all the time in it.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

I can't wait to see what Luyando says. Regarding shirts stretching and losing power, Travis is right. The multi-ply stuff hangs in there for a long time. I know I have not touched the chest nearly enough in many years. The boards screwed me up. When I did doubles and triples my bench always looked the same. Now with board work and singles it looks like I don't have a clue.

I think I will take up block periodization if Frey ever gets his book out. I love watching his technique on everything. That boy is technical and strong.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Interesting debate going on here. Definitly gonna get a bunch of good information from you guys on this topic.

This also helped me realize how wrong my first meet training cycle was for my first equipped bench meet. I was in the shirt about 10 weeks straight, going balls to the wall every week, without much assistance work. I hit a PR in the shirt on week 4, and kept trying to up that max week after week, and eventually settled for 5lbs less than my gym PR at the meet because I was so fatigued. I tired myself too much going heavy to failure every week.

I look forward to hearing more responses about this topic
    Last edited by Detard; 07-15-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighter_15 View Post
    How often should I be training with it on?
    The experienced/strong guys I train with on average put there shirt on once every 3 weeks or so ( some a little more often some a little less ). Lately I've been training in mine more than that because I'm still learning it. I guess I'll find out how that's been working for me at my meet coming up in a couple weeks.

the quickest way to get stronger in a shirt is to live in the shirt. in the long run i would do something like travis does. there is a alot to learn about shirts.

Your technique fell apart, or the shirt actually broke in and fit too big because you bought it too big to begin with.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to pinpoint it without seeing you in your shirt in person Jesse, but the thing is, there is no way that shirt wore out after 10 uses.

Either your technique got worse (which happens with some guys when they are in their shirts too much) or after the shirt broke in, it was too big.

Banned
    Your technique fell apart, or the shirt actually broke in and fit too big because you bought it too big to begin with.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to pinpoint it without seeing you in your shirt in person Jesse, but the thing is, there is no way that shirt wore out after 10 uses.

Either your technique got worse (which happens with some guys when they are in their shirts too much) or after the shirt broke in, it was too big.

Can it really do that? I mean.... I wear a size 54, and its pretty tough to get into, even still. The difference is the amount of pop I get from the bottom. It used to be good, now its barely noticable. Is that from it breaking in to fit me? Or is the shirt just bad?

Also, im pretty sure its not my form. I mean, i dont have perfect form (tucking/shirt placement) but I always try to stay consistent.
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 07-16-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Shirts always break in. Just the way it is.

The majority of people who wear single ply gear wear it much much tighter than double ply shirts. They need to be that tight to get much out of them.

I'll say this one more time - the shirt is NOT bad

The pop was lost because the chest plate broke in. Next time get a size smaller chest plate and possibly the same size arms as you already have

I don't care if your form is consistent. That's pretty bold to say you're sure it's not your form, but just because you are consistent doesnt mean it's good. Many people are consistently poor in their technique.

Shirts always break in. Just the way it is.

The majority of people who wear single ply gear wear it much much tighter than double ply shirts. They need to be that tight to get much out of them.
    I actually wear a single ply Rage X, it is loose enough I can get into it with no help, I train in it almost every week for 8 weeks, I'll use it for quite a few meets, it doesn't lose it's "pop" and I get close to 200lbs out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by evilxxx View Post
    You will love shirts once you get to figure out what works best for you, I been training in a regular Fury that i can put on in less than 5 min and i just figured out the perfect twist on the sleeves to get it tighter. Had a hard time bringing 365 to 2in from my chest when I usually bring 335 to that point fairly easy. the pop was better too. And the shirt bites on the back of my armpits are purple...lol
    Yea the first time I put my shirt on I had a few bruises lol. It wasn't anything to bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    fighter,

Thats what this boards for man... You have some of the best benchers/ PL'ers on the planet right here @ WWB forum!

I'm a newbe w/ the gear myself but these guys have helped me tremendously over the past 5-months... BTW, post a Video, as this is the best way to get help w/ gear & technique issues.
    I've noticed there's a lot of really strong guys on this forum. It's insane the weights some of these guys can throw around. I plan on putting a video on here for the bench press because I'm sure my form is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by drbill View Post
    I actually wear a single ply Rage X, it is loose enough I can get into it with no help, I train in it almost every week for 8 weeks, I'll use it for quite a few meets, it doesn't lose it's "pop" and I get close to 200lbs out of it...
    You would be the exception to the rule then, but also your technique is probably pretty good.

Getting pop out of the shirt has mostly to do with hitting the groove of the shirt, along with the correct sizing.

I touched in my Apex singleply and haven't really used it since. Ill get in it when I'm prepping for my next meet, probably every other week. I concentrate more on my raw power usually.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes