The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

squat - back rounding and good mornings

Hi all,
    I'd been having an issue with my back rounding at the bottom of the squat (when I get at and below parallel) and doing a bit of a goodmorning when I come out. I've been working on flexiblity and form and things are much improved, but I have a few questions.

1) Thanks to the SquatRX vids, and the stretching my back stays arched through most sets but seems to round on the last few reps of the last work set. I'm assuming that this isn't a flexiblity problem, what can I do to compensate, I'm thinking adding a set of goodmornings once a week. Any thoughts?

2) In order not to round my back or goodmorning I'm fighting to keep my back straight and chest up, is this "fighting" feeling normal or a sign that my form is out of whack somewhere? I just don't feel like my back position is flowing naturally.

Thanks
    Sean

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    The squat is more technical than most, though not on this board, give it credit for.

I'd say most of us have to fight to hold the arch on heavy reps. I know I do. Where in your back are you losing arch, upper or lower?

Upper: Keep your shoulder blades pinched as tight as possible. This will force you to hold your arch.
    Lower: Either hip flexibility or just a strenght issue. Deadlifts will help with low back strength.

I know everybody says this, but it'd be nice to see some video of your squats. Could be a groove issue, could be a flexibility issue, could be bar placement issue - tough to know what's causing a given symptom without seeing you train.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the help guys. Sensei, I'm working on borrowing a camera and getting some shots up. I dialed the weights back a bit and slowly worked up to where I was and the rounding is much improved, not perfect but getting there.
    Cheers

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    im on the same page with sensei without a video we cant really tell, but ur normal problesm come from one of two things, weak mid back and abs and not knowing how to pul yourself into the hole with ur hip flexors, this helps keep the hips out at the bottom and back flat...

sooo without a vid there really is no way of knowing
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"