The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Recovering from Squats

Hi guys, I have a question(s) and I would appreciate opinions from everyone that squats.

It has been more than a month since I started doing Squats and I started with very small weight, 25 lb plates, and now I am using 45 lb plates. My question is, how do I recover faster from the "blast" it puts on your body? I say this because I have NEVER felt so tired in the lower body area as I am feeling when I squat. I used to do leg presses and those machines, but now that I squat, it really feels crazy on my legs. I try to rest well, eat well and alot, and sleep my 8 hours. I Squat Monday, Wednesday, and Saturdays. I also work in an office, so I spend most of my time sitting down and when I get up, my legs don't really feel "sore", but "drained". Anything that I could do to aliviate the "fatigue" on the legs? Is it just a matter of getting used to it? Or "I haven't seen nothing yet hahaha"?

I do 4 sets of 8-9 (Almost never 10)

Another question, is it a good idea to start using a belt when I get to 2 45lb plates? A big guy at the gym helped me out with my form and a lot of tips to squat and he mentioned that even with 45 + 25 plates start using a belt because I could get hurt really bad.

I will really appreciate anything that I should know when squating. I am getting the form down little by little and increasing 5 lbs every week.

Thanks guys!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting the form down is always more important than the weight.

You've covered just about all the bases. You can try some stretching, foam rolling, or contrast showers...but other than that, it just takes time
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

My first thought is your volume. When you squat MWF and do 4 sets of 8-9 reps you are going to be drained a lot. Judging by the weight you are using, I would guess you are fairly new to lifting, so that, combined with nearly 120 squats a week will make you pretty drained, mate.
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 07-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    your doing way to many reps to be squatting 3 times per week, if u wanna squat that much u have to do two things, cycle your poundages (heavy one day , light one day ect.) and lower your reps and do more sets

4 sets of 8 to 9 reps is a total of 32-36 total reps, Add about 15% in weight lower the reps to 5, and try to aim for 7 sets, same workout but not negatively taxing the muscles and draining of ATP, thus u keep working your primary largest muscle fibers to the max so everything is getting worked.

make sure u eat and rest well, also stretch after each workout, this should help aid in recovery
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member Pumping Manny's Avatar
    I now that I squats once per week and I need all that time to recover from that session.
    Squats demands alot on your system.
    5'8''
    180 pounds

Bench: 245*8
    Squats: 310*8
    Deads: 245*8

I am squatting 3 times per week - Mon, Wed, and Fri doing the SS routine.

I am squatting 225lbs 3x5. This is getting pretty brutal as the weight increases. My recovery is one day and is working well at this point. This routine works for me as I have been increasing by 5-15 lbs per week depending on my diet.

I think you are doing too many sets and reps.

I don't wear a belt either. How can you get hurt without a belt????

Thanks for all the responses and advice guys You guys are really helpful. I am fairly new to serious bodybuilding. I never squated before, so I am very new to squating. They are draining, but don't you love the feeling that everything will grow I really have seen better results with squating, plus RESULTS is the sh....t :P Today is squat day, so I will add a little more weight and do less reps and try to do the 7 sets.

I have another questions, maybe out of the topic, but when is the best day to do "Deadlifts?" They work your back and everything, but I do squats on back day and I don't think i will have the ba....s to do both squats and deadlifts that day. When is the best time to do deadlifts? On back day I suppose, but I just don't know where exactly to put the deadlift because it's draining like the squats.

My routine is something like this:

M: Back, Lats, Squat
    T: Chest
    W: Legs, Squat, Shoulders
    Thr: Rest (maybe some low pace cardio, definitely a lot of stretching. No weights at all here)
    Friday: Biceps and Triceps
    Saturday: Squats, rest
    Sunday: Rest

Any help?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post
    I am squatting 3 times per week - Mon, Wed, and Fri doing the SS routine.

I am squatting 225lbs 3x5. This is getting pretty brutal as the weight increases. My recovery is one day and is working well at this point. This routine works for me as I have been increasing by 5-15 lbs per week depending on my diet.

I think you are doing too many sets and reps.

I don't wear a belt either. How can you get hurt without a belt????
    the only way u get hurt without a belt is usuing bad form, which can hurt u even worse with a belt because ull be using more weight.

go at it without the belt, get ur core stronger.

believe it or not you have a natural belt, its called ur abs, olbiques, and lumbar muscles, get those strong and you will always have a belt
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"