The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

could somebody please explain to me the difference between the two routines?

recently i've been limited to only being able to work out for 20-30 minutes a day (but i'm able to work out every day).

my normal routine used to look like this:
    day 1: chest / shoulder / tricep
    4x bench press
    2x chest dips
    3x tricep pushdown
    3x military press

day 2: back / bicep / lats
    4x deadlifts
    2x cable row
    3x 21s
    3x lat pulldown

day 3 & 4: rest

day 5: chest / shoulder / tricep
    4x bench press
    2x incline bench
    3x close grip bench
    3x front raise

day 6 : legs / biceps / lats
    4x squats
    2x walking lunges
    3x barbell curl
    3x chin-ups

day 7 & 8: rest

i spend 40-50 minutes a day bike riding into work 4x a week so my legs get a decent workout (hence why i only train them directly once a week, they get hit a little when i do deadlifts thought).

i've started mapping out a new training routine, and i got thinking.. why can't i just train every day (ensuring there's ample time between training each body part)?

something like this has the exact same volume over the same amount of days:

day 1 : chest
    4x bench press
    2x chest dips

day 2: back
    4x deadlifts
    2x cable row

day 3 : tricep / shoulder
    3x tricep pushdown
    3x military press

day 4: bicep/lats
    3x 21s
    3x lat pulldown

day 5 : chest
    4x bench press
    2x incline bench

day 6: legs
    4x squats
    2x walking lunges

day 7: tricep / shoulder
    3x close grip bench
    3x front raise

day 8: bicep/lats
    3x barbell curl
    3x chin-ups

is this new routine just plain wrong, or actually ok?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You shouldn't be in the gym every single day. You grow out of the gym, not in it... as they say. You need to be spending just as much time out of the gym as you do in it, because it is essential that you get the rest you need to repair your muscle tissue. 3-4 times a week of strength training should be enough, with your off days being cardio.

As for your workout, the splits are haphazard and not really well thought out. That's just too many consecutive days. Your choice of exercises isn't bad, but you should condense the routine into 3-4 days and keep your workouts short and intense if you can't find the time to get a full workout in. You can lengthen your workouts if you remove your biking from your lifting days and place the cardio on your off days. You don't need the biking to have your legs get a decent workout. Squats and Deads are doing more for your legs than the biking will.

What are your goals? How's your diet?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-15-2009 at 03:42 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig New Member
    but technically i'm still getting ample time between working out each major body part? or does the body as a whole need rest from working out?

Quote Originally Posted by SheldonCooper View Post
    but technically i'm still getting ample time between working out each major body part? or does the body as a whole need rest from working out?
    You're not just working your muscles when you train mate, you also tax your CNS (Central Nervous System) which is responsible for co-ordinating your movements and telling your muscles to fire. You don't need to train every day, it's less efficient. If you are just starting out you will see fantastic gains with a 3 or 4 day routine.

Riding a bike does not work your legs like weights will, I made EXACTLY the same mistake when starting out. Squats once a week is still probably enough if you are deadlifting heavy on another day as well.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    You're not just working your muscles when you train mate, you also tax your CNS (Central Nervous System) which is responsible for co-ordinating your movements and telling your muscles to fire.
    thanks, was looking for an answer like this! i knew training every day wasn't a great idea, but i didn't know why.

I wouldnt want to do an 8 day routine. thats just a pain in the ass.. compress it down to 3-4 days

Maybe do 3 days a week in a 2 week split - Mon. Upper body; Wed. lower body; Fri. upper body; following Mon. lower body; Wed. upper body, Fri. lower body. You'll hit your entire body 3 times in 2 weeks. You can do different exercises (to some extent) on the different upper or lower days - every upper day isn't bench, bent rows, sohp, but mix 'em up.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    mkay, the only difference between them is exercise selection, but what they have in common is that they are not going to allow you to effectively work your body in the time frame you are working with.

if you honestly only have 30 mins to workout pick 3 exercises, a push, pull, and a squat or deadlift variation, go day on day off format, and never load the spine in consecutive workouts. Get as many sets of 5 as you can in a ten minute time slot, the moment u can get 8 or more sets of 5 increase the load by 10% or 15 pounds which ever is more.

so a sample week would be

monday
    pullup, dip deadlift

tuesday off

wednesday
    bench, row, lunge

thursday off

Friday
    military press, pullup, squat.

saturday off

sunday
    bench row, step up

... so on a so forth

Alternate each day, choose a push, pull, and a squat or deadlift variation and as many sets of 5 in 10 mins, and never load the spine in consecutive workouts, ie never do squats and deads back to back

if you wanna take the 20 mins route

2 exercises, Deadlifts and press (flat or over head)

same guidelines, as many sets of 5 in 10 mins as possible, day on day off format, and alternate each workout, one day flat press, the other day over head.

u only have 20-30 mins, dont waste your time doing curls, do the big exercises that matter to work the most muscles to get the best results
    Last edited by BigCorey75; 07-15-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"