Thread: bench shirt advice

Wannabebig Member

bench shirt advice

I am lifting in the APF, which allows double ply. I have virtually no money. I know I want to get a double-ply Z suit and will soon, as I have been using a single-ply Champion that was graciously given to me by one of the best who also gave me a bench shirt too. If forgoing the single-ply Champion for double-ply Z possibly wouldn't create 1RM increase, I would like to know that too please.

If I can get my money together to buy my own before this meet in early September as well as the Z-suit, what would y'all recommend as far as Inzer? I want to spend around $100 dollars and am thinking dbl-ply HD Blast, or maybe, just maybe a $120ish dbl-ply HDHP Blast. I bench pretty much straight up and down and have heard the Blast is good for that. Am still working on my arch and have heard that some shirt are better for somebody with a huge arch, while I am still getting mine on up there.

I really wish I could find this stuff used for a 132 pound guy, but I don't see that now.

Comments? Thanks!
    Last edited by stik; 07-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.

keep in mind, you get what you pay for. titan has str8 slleve and angle sleeve shirts for flat or arch benchers. the rage x is only like $130. you have alot of options. i wouldn't buy a blast.

The HDHP blast is crap, I'd strongly suggest something else - ANYTHING else. House of pain have excess stock from time to time in all sizes, thats somewhere to try.

As far as the cash goes, have a look at something you can sacrifice in your budget to set aside a little more cash; I'm sure you'll find something.

I would get into a TIGHT $99 fury before i get into HPHD single or double...
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Sounds like that meet will have a single ply division. Check out the post about it.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

As other posters said above stay the F away from a Blast shirt by all means.Keep an eye out and post on the classifieds on FortifiedIron or PLingwatch(hope the mods don't mind me putting these other sites in this post-just trying to help this guy out) as they have good deals on used shirts all the time and you can find some really good deals on some quality gear there.Also look on Ebay-I got an almost new Metal Ace Pro suit for $80 that only one other guy had bid on.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    I am lifting in the APF, which allows double ply. I have virtually no money. I know I want to get a double-ply Z suit and will soon, as I have been using a single-ply Champion that was graciously given to me by one of the best who also gave me a bench shirt too. If forgoing the single-ply Champion for double-ply Z possibly wouldn't create 1RM increase, I would like to know that too please.

If I can get my money together to buy my own before this meet in early September as well as the Z-suit, what would y'all recommend as far as Inzer? I want to spend around $100 dollars and am thinking dbl-ply HD Blast, or maybe, just maybe a $120ish dbl-ply HDHP Blast. I bench pretty much straight up and down and have heard the Blast is good for that. Am still working on my arch and have heard that some shirt are better for somebody with a huge arch, while I am still getting mine on up there.

I really wish I could find this stuff used for a 132 pound guy, but I don't see that now.

Comments? Thanks!
    Since money is an issue and your first bp shirt?, I recommend you get a single-ply Inzer Rage for $95.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

Yep the Rage is a good shirt, so is the Fury or the F6. I'd just stick with the single ply for now. It'll make it easier to learn and you'll get more out of it. Don't get one super tight.

You might just want to stick to competing raw for now or in your champion suit to save your hips and save up some money for a better suit. You may outgrow the Z suit quickly

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Next bench shirt is going to be a single ply Rage. Thanks for comments.

The Inzer lady said it would have accomodate a wide range of benching styles. Can y'all tell me what might work best with a Rage, what has worked for you as far as the groove of the shirt?
    Last edited by stik; 07-16-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more content wanted

Get a Titan Fury if your going single ply its cheaper and a better shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Agreed... Titan F6 is what I started with, though I did like the rage X as well.

Very similar groove. Both are for arched benchers though. If your sytle is flat go with the Fury or the reg. Rage shirt.

Good luck stik!
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    YES!
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

If you're dead set on Inzer buy the RageX, not any of the blast shirts. I personally like Titan F6 for a starter shirt and the Katana for more advanced benchers and a few rare starters I've worked with. I've used both the Rage X and Both Titans (Katana now). I got very similar #s in the Rage X and F6 (slight edge to F6), and quite a bit more from the Katana. The Katana will cost a bit more. I got a lot more wear from the titan shirts than the Inzer in 1 plies. Their material is very durable and their warranty is great. If money is tight you want what you buy to last more than 1 or two meets.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Wannabebig Member
    Well, I got my Rage. My chest is about 36-37, so I got a size 40. Tried it today and couldn't touch with 185. I felt like I was strangling. Maybe the shirt wasn't pulled down enough?
    I decided I wouldn't worry about it any more since I had a bb guy spotting me. They aren't always helpful and I didn't want to eat up the guy's time. I did call the trainer at my commercial gym as he has pl experience and his advice works well for me.
    Does wetting the shirt before benching help? Could I stand to yank the shirt down more or else cut the back? I hate to because I might lift WABDL as well as APF.
    I like the rest of y'all couldn't wait to try it on. It seemed tight and when I called Inzer they said it was a more radical design than the one Mr. Frank was so good to give me. They said to add weight till it touches. I will pile on weight soon, and I just would like some advice as far as breaking it in and some reassurance that the shirt isn't going to rip or something. $100 is a lot of money to me right now.
    Thanks!!

it won't rip. what is your raw max? anyway, when i break in a shirt i like to work it down the boards the first couple weeks, then i like to do triples with no boards and touch the third rep. have somebody call you down, each rep should come further down then the third one touches. i will not wear a belt for the first couple weeks and i will also let it ride up a little. but don't let it choke you. have somebody pull the arms all the way and then pull the neck down, it is easier to touch if after you pull the neck down you raise your arms a little and don't wear a belt. good luck. after you get the touching and the groove figured out, there is a whole bunch of fun tricks to learn!

Wannabebig Member
    you have mail. have heard that pulling down to sternum is the way to go, also elbows not splayed out so as to put all the work on pecs but not all the way in, instead maybe at a 45 degree angle. what would y'all advise as far as benching with the rage?

tuck only as far as you have to to touch

did you get my messages?

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the messages, barbell. And I appreciate the rest of y'all too. Will meet with the trainer at the gym tomorrow and am excited as I know he knows his stuff and what he says has helped. Would still like to see more from y'all too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    Well, I got my Rage. My chest is about 36-37, so I got a size 40. Tried it today and couldn't touch with 185. I felt like I was strangling. Maybe the shirt wasn't pulled down enough?
    I decided I wouldn't worry about it any more since I had a bb guy spotting me. They aren't always helpful and I didn't want to eat up the guy's time. I did call the trainer at my commercial gym as he has pl experience and his advice works well for me.
    Does wetting the shirt before benching help? Could I stand to yank the shirt down more or else cut the back? I hate to because I might lift WABDL as well as APF.
    I like the rest of y'all couldn't wait to try it on. It seemed tight and when I called Inzer they said it was a more radical design than the one Mr. Frank was so good to give me. They said to add weight till it touches. I will pile on weight soon, and I just would like some advice as far as breaking it in and some reassurance that the shirt isn't going to rip or something. $100 is a lot of money to me right now.
    Thanks!!
    Whats your raw bench, you shouldnt be able to even come close to touching with 185, maybe 315. Yes you need to pull it down and put a belt on so it doesnt ride up.

Wannabebig Member
    I am now gaining weight and want to try a Titan. Once again, I am not quite sure what I want, though I know I want an inexpensive double ply. I don't think of myself as arching really big, but I don't bench completely flat either. Can anybody suggest a shirt that would be right for me now? As a side note, are there federations that require a completely flat bench? Does anybody prefer flat benching, and if so why? I was taught to arch and am curious.

And what would be a good double ply more inexpensive Titan dl/squat suit?

I don't see where you've posted your numbers from your first shirt yet. Perhaps before trying mulitply you should try a single ply Katana or Super Katana. My SK is quite a bit stonger than my F-6. Both are single ply.

Wannabebig Member
    I have been thinking about getting a bench shirt for years. IDK why I havent gotten one yet..