Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicep compound exercises and Triceps

Bicep compound exercises and Triceps

Hey guys, I need some advice for getting bigger biceps. I usually do isolation exercises for the biceps, although I try not to hit them with 10000000000 reps of curls. I have been reading that I really need compound exercises if I want them to get bigger. Last year I did pretty much most isolation exercises and at the end of the year, they were ok. Now I want them BIG. I am eating BIG, lifting BIG, and I want to know what are some of the exercises I could do for big biceps. IF you could, can you write some exercises for biceps. For Triceps I also need advice, for mass. Let me put what I am going to do tomorrow when I train biceps and Triceps and then give me some advice.

Note: I can't do Pull ups, not Chin ups (Help to get started)
    I also read that genes play a role on the bicep formation

Biceps:

1. Standing EZ Bar Curls: 4 Sets for 8-10 Reps. With increasing weight, 50, 60, 70, 80 lbs

2. Preacher Curls: With EZ Bar and 15 LBs on each side. 4 Sets of 8-10
    3. Standing Dumbell Curls: 35 lbs, 4 Sets
    4. Seated Inclided Dumbell curls: 15 lbs, 4 sets
    5. Cable Bicep Curls: Which Ever weight I can pull at the moment
    6. Bicep Machine: 70, 80, 90, 100 lbs: 4 sets

Triceps:

1. Skull Crushers: 60, 70, 80 lbs (2 sets with 70) 8-10 reps: Immediately throw after each set of Skull crushers I throw a set of close grip press ups (8-10 reps)

2. Pull Down: 60, 70, 80 lbs 4 Sets of 8-10 reps
    3. Tricep Kickbacks with a 20 lb dumbell or 15. 4 sets of 8-10
    4. Overhead Tricep Extension with cables thingy: 4 sets 8-10 Reps
    5. Tricep Machine: Which ever weight I can do 8-10 reps
    7. Seated Dip Machine: Sometimes I feel it more on the chest than my triceps itself, so I get discouraged. 4 Reps with pretty much all the weight in the machine.

Any help, suggestions? I am probably doing to much of a thing, I know. That's the main reason I need some solid advice so I can work SMART and get good results. Thanks

Ryu
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 07-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Squat, deadlift, and bench

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Dude... have you been reading NOTHING since you've been here? Tricep kickbacks? Really? Where did you get all this crap from?

None of those exercises are 'compound' exercises.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-16-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    dude, double the amount of pullups and dips you can do in a single setting and your arms will grow, also throw in a good side of deadlifting
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Dude... have you been reading NOTHING since you've been here? Tricep kickbacks? Really? Where did you get all this crap from?

None of those exercises are 'compound' exercises.

I am looking for compound exercises my friend. Did you read my post?

Thanks for the advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    dude, double the amount of pullups and dips you can do in a single setting and your arms will grow, also throw in a good side of deadlifting

Thanks man! I really appreciate your advice. I am fairly new to bodybuilding, so I am still learning. I can't do Pull ups, nor chin ups yet. I used to when I was "smaller". Is there a good other exercise besides pull ups and those? I will start doing pulls ups, little by little. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post

Thanks for the advice though.
    You've been given advice regarding this exact same topic before.

The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Thanks man! I really appreciate your advice. I am fairly new to bodybuilding, so I am still learning. I can't do Pull ups, nor chin ups yet. I used to when I was "smaller". Is there a good other exercise besides pull ups and those? I will start doing pulls ups, little by little. Thanks though

do you guys have an assited machine?

or if not u can do negative, like jump up there hold as long as u can then slowly let yourself down, do that about 8 or 10 times per workout

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

or if not u can do negative, like jump up there hold as long as u can then slowly let yourself down, do that about 8 or 10 times per workout

Nice!! We do have those assisted machines I have never tried them though. I will take a look at them today (Off day) and see my possibilities for tomorrow.

Can I throw 1 arm Dumbell Row for Biceps? I think I am doing a lot of curling exercises. I really need to reshape my bicep Routine. With my tricep I am getting great results, to be honest.

Thanks Corey.

you can, but if u put enough effort into pullups and chins u wont need to do the one arm curls

Wannabebig Member
    Powercleans

Wannabebig Member
    It's already been said, but I'll say it again.

PULL-UPS

I've never done lat pull-downs because I avoid machines whenever possible, but I suppose with the right grip they could work a lot of bicep (after all, they're very similar to pull-ups). If you can't do pull-ups yet and don't have one of those "gravitron" assistance things I guess lat pull-downs would be an option for getting started.

holy jesus thats alot of arm work.
    dude, double the amount of pullups and dips you can do in a single setting and your arms will grow, also throw in a good side of deadlifting.
    this.

here you go..

BICEPS: pull-ups, chin-ups and inverted rows. your biceps are also used when you squeeze the bar hard on squats and deads (which you should be doing both exercises and squeezing the bar when performing them).

TRICEPS: push exercises (BP, OP and push-ups)
    Nice!! We do have those assisted machines I have never tried them though. I will take a look at them today (Off day) and see my possibilities for tomorrow.
    forget using machines. pretend they don't exist. when i first tried pull-ups/chin-ups i couldn't do more than 1 rep. like anything else in life, you need to it more often to get better at it. "practice makes perfect" and this also applies to lifting.

machines do the balancing your bodyweight for you and succumb you to fixed movement patterns (think the Smith Machine). any strength you might build using these machines won't carry over to free weights or bodyweight exercises. there's plenty of things you can do to help you out if you're having trouble with pull-ups/chin-ups.

ask someone to assist you by either pushing you up from the side or your legs, use hip drive on the way up, do negatives, or you could use a band.

you're not short on options so you have no reason to say "i can't do a pullup 2 months from now if you begin utilizing these techniques ASAP.

you can also try multiple sets of low reps. 10x1 Pull-ups with as much rest between sets as you need. start with 10x1 set. move on to 10x2 and so on. take as much rest as you need.

now get to lifting.
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungNoble View Post
    here you go..

BICEPS: pull-ups, chin-ups and inverted rows. your biceps are also used when you squeeze the bar hard on squats and deads (which you should be doing both exercises and squeezing the bar when performing them).

TRICEPS: push exercises (BP, OP and push-ups)

forget using machines. pretend they don't exist. when i first tried pull-ups/chin-ups i couldn't do more than 1 rep. like anything else in life, you need to it more often to get better at it. "practice makes perfect" and this also applies to lifting.

machines do the balancing your bodyweight for you and succumb you to fixed movement patterns (think the Smith Machine). any strength you might build using these machines won't carry over to free weights or bodyweight exercises. there's plenty of things you can do to help you out if you're having trouble with pull-ups/chin-ups.

ask someone to assist you by either pushing you up from the side or your legs, use hip drive on the way up, do negatives, or you could use a band.

you're not short on options so you have no reason to say "i can't do a pullup 2 months from now if you begin utilizing these techniques ASAP.

you can also try multiple sets of low reps. 10x1 Pull-ups with as much rest between sets as you need. start with 10x1 set. move on to 10x2 and so on. take as much rest as you need.

now get to lifting.
    Yes sir!! Thanks a lot man.

Thanks to everyone that helps around here. You guys are cool. I will do pull ups a month from now. I will practice often

Yes, good luck. When you can start doing pull ups with ease, you can start using a weight belt.

BO rows i feel are good, also deadlifts. and benchpressing for triceps

Hey guys, I need some advice for getting bigger biceps. I usually do isolation exercises for the biceps, although I try not to hit them with 10000000000 reps of curls. I have been reading that I really need compound exercises if I want them to get bigger. Last year I did pretty much most isolation exercises and at the end of the year, they were ok. Now I want them BIG. I am eating BIG, lifting BIG, and I want to know what are some of the exercises I could do for big biceps. IF you could, can you write some exercises for biceps. For Triceps I also need advice, for mass. Let me put what I am going to do tomorrow when I train biceps and Triceps and then give me some advice.

Note: I can't do Pull ups, not Chin ups (Help to get started)
    I also read that genes play a role on the bicep formation

Biceps:

1. Standing EZ Bar Curls: 4 Sets for 8-10 Reps. With increasing weight, 50, 60, 70, 80 lbs

2. Preacher Curls: With EZ Bar and 15 LBs on each side. 4 Sets of 8-10
    3. Standing Dumbell Curls: 35 lbs, 4 Sets
    4. Seated Inclided Dumbell curls: 15 lbs, 4 sets
    5. Cable Bicep Curls: Which Ever weight I can pull at the moment
    6. Bicep Machine: 70, 80, 90, 100 lbs: 4 sets

Triceps:

1. Skull Crushers: 60, 70, 80 lbs (2 sets with 70) 8-10 reps: Immediately throw after each set of Skull crushers I throw a set of close grip press ups (8-10 reps)

2. Pull Down: 60, 70, 80 lbs 4 Sets of 8-10 reps
    3. Tricep Kickbacks with a 20 lb dumbell or 15. 4 sets of 8-10
    4. Overhead Tricep Extension with cables thingy: 4 sets 8-10 Reps
    5. Tricep Machine: Which ever weight I can do 8-10 reps
    7. Seated Dip Machine: Sometimes I feel it more on the chest than my triceps itself, so I get discouraged. 4 Reps with pretty much all the weight in the machine.

Any help, suggestions? I am probably doing to much of a thing, I know. That's the main reason I need some solid advice so I can work SMART and get good results. Thanks

Ryu
    You've been given a ton of advice in other threads you've started. You've been pointed in the right direction, and even had a routine outlined for you. Look, just do Starting Strength EXACTLY as written. Do it for a minimum of 6 months. You need to get stronger before you worry about anything else.

Hey guys, just an update.

Thank you so much Corey and Youngnoble for your advice.

I can do 8 pulls ups now I am getting stronger than ever. I was never able to do pull ups YAYYYYYY!! My biceps have grown significally in this two months. I am stronger than ever and I did what you guys recommended, even though I looked stupid to the "BIg" guys there when I just was hanging from the bars hahaha. Thanks a lot for the advice. Your guys ROCK!!!

Feeling greater than ever and looking to get into the best shape of my life. Motivation over the top

Ryu

Banned
    RYU, thaz whut it's all about, Baby! YEAH!

\even though I looked stupid to the "BIg" guys there when I just was hanging from the bars hahaha
    NOW who looks 'stupid'. look at them now and say "Hi hater!"

"Looking stupid" is all about perception and everyone perceives things differently. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Not their own facts.

Congratulations brother. I'm happy for you and I wish you well in your training
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

Work the small muscles, get small muscles. Work the big muscles...... well Im sure you can figure it out.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Nicky said it well...My Arms were biggest when I was doing the 4 major lifts..now that im doing rehab work and upper body only i have mediocre arms. I suggest doing cleans(get massive traps), deads(forearms and bi's get big), dips are a sure thing for tri's

sounds like your doing great now man...good luck in gettin hugee..lol
    Last edited by Rip.66.; 08-14-2009 at 10:00 PM.

bb curls in the squat rack will get your biceps JACKED!!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Hey guys, just an update.

Thank you so much Corey and Youngnoble for your advice.

I can do 8 pulls ups now I am getting stronger than ever. I was never able to do pull ups YAYYYYYY!! My biceps have grown significally in this two months. I am stronger than ever and I did what you guys recommended, even though I looked stupid to the "BIg" guys there when I just was hanging from the bars hahaha. Thanks a lot for the advice. Your guys ROCK!!!

Feeling greater than ever and looking to get into the best shape of my life. Motivation over the top

Ryu
    Its only been one month and your biceps have grown significantly and your doing 8 pullups were you couldnt do one