Thread: Pressure in head today at gym

Wannabebig Member

Pressure in head today at gym

While bench pressing I got a very strong pressure feeling to the back of my head on the left side. It was pressure with a throbbing feeling. I'm kinda concern on why it happened. The pain lasted about 20 min total and was enough for me to leave. Now i feel a lot better but not sure why it happened. I have never had this happen before. Anyone have a similar experience or know what could have caused this?
    Thanks
    Last edited by spursguy123; 07-14-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Probably just strain. I've gotten some insane headaches/throbbing pains from lifting heavy. If it happens frequently I'd see a doctor.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I've had it also. Same exact description as you, but mine lasted quite a bit longer. As suggested above, if it continues, you may want to see a doctor.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

I had this too - I reckon it is just an exertion headache, do a search here as there are a few threads on it. Mine just went away after a few weeks and I think taking a thermogenic didn;t help.

If it continues and its worrying you unduly, go see a GP.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

This also happened to me for a few weeks. I had a mild cold and exerting myself physically caused an intense localized headache that lasted about half an hour. It's been nearly a year since I've had this problem and it hasn't returned.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I think I've been getting exertion headaches too, they don't hurt when I strain but if I bend over and let the blood rush to my head it seems to hurt. It's just a dull ache. I'll see if they get better eventually.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I think I've been getting exertion headaches too, they don't hurt when I strain but if I bend over and let the blood rush to my head it seems to hurt. It's just a dull ache. I'll see if they get better eventually.
    I’ve been getting these recently as well. I also load up on caffeine before hand so I think the combination of coming down from the rush of caffeine and going balls to the wall gives me a nagging headache, it passes a few hours after lifting, but it sucks for that short period after.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I had this happen a few times on rep outs and I am pretty sure it was from lack of breathing properly during the set. Really painful and left me dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    I had this happen a few times on rep outs and I am pretty sure it was from lack of breathing properly during the set. Really painful and left me dizzy.
    I think breathing does have a lot o do with it.

Stopping the thermogenics and also focusing on my breathing made them stop.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Good point, I was taking one at the time too. Probably the combination of the two.

Another vote for not breathing properly

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear people had similar problems. Maybe it was my breathing but I felt I was breathing the way I always do but maybe. I'm about to go train hopefully it doesn't happen again.
    Thanks again.

I'll say two things since SS is fresh in my mind.

First of all, it really stresses in the book NOT to use your neck when you're benching. A lot of people will force their head back to get the weight up, which Rippetoe says is a good way to sprain or injure your neck doing this.

Secondly, I think he suggests doing your breathing when you lock out at the top of a rep, and holding your breath during the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post

First of all, it really stresses in the book NOT to use your neck when you're benching. A lot of people will force their head back to get the weight up, which Rippetoe says is a good way to sprain or injure your neck doing this.

Secondly, I think he suggests doing your breathing when you lock out at the top of a rep, and holding your breath during the rep.
    I'm pretty sure that's what I do.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Holding your breath while exherting will puch all the blood to your head. Not only will that make you more prone to headaches, but immediatly afterwards can make you more pront to fainting.

I'm not saying Rippetoe is wrong, but the question is does he advocate working out while not feeling well and adhering to this breathing philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    I'm not saying Rippetoe is wrong, but the question is does he advocate working out while not feeling well and adhering to this breathing philosophy.
    He probably does advocate it despite feeling well, because taking a deep breath and filling your lungs with air helps line everything up correctly for proper support, as I understand it.

He probably does advocate it despite feeling well, because taking a deep breath and filling your lungs with air helps line everything up correctly for proper support, as I understand it.
    Yeah my post is only based on personal experience. I had a headache on Mondey and Tuesday. Tuesday I almost vomited from the pain (not the workout - too early into that for that to be that case) after I finished a set because I held my breath and my head was pounding.