Thread: Question about pull ups/ chin ups and dips.

Wannabebig Member

Question about pull ups/ chin ups and dips.

I now these are great exercises to do but I can't seem to do more then 3 reps after I workout my muscles with weights..For example after doing a couple of sets of deadlifts and barbell rows and then try to do a pull up i cant do more then 3...However if I do them first i can easily do 3 sets of 8..Same goes for dips, if i bench press and do tricept exercises before doing dips it makes it hard to do them..

So my question is it just as beneficial to them before lifting weights or is it better as the last exercise?
    Last edited by Mr Boogeyman; 07-17-2009 at 12:49 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You can do them first if you feel like they're kicking your ass after doing weights.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-17-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah simple solution, do them first, they shouldn't bother ur deads much
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

It depends on whether you use your lats during your DLs. For example, I believe Rippetoe condones lat engagement (like in an Oly pull), but there are other methods. If you use the form where you use lat engagement then Id just keep them after the DLs and before the rows. You can also try kipping pullups
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 07-17-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I do mine last... but I recently started doing chins before bent over rows and I seem to be able to get more weight on the chins, while the rows have stayed the same. Good times.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I do mine last... but I recently started doing chins before bent over rows and I seem to be able to get more weight on the chins, while the rows have stayed the same. Good times.
    yeah i know....it doesn't seem to effect my weights (maybe the last rep or my las set)...i just thought chips and dips were kind like a an after burnout for your muscles, didn't look at them like a workout

Pull-ups and dips are great exercises. You can do both as weighted exercises too. I prefer chin-ups to barbell rows, but still do both exercises. Chin-ups come first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Boogeyman View Post
    I now these are great exercises to do but I can't seem to do more then 3 reps after I workout my muscles with weights..For example after doing a couple of sets of deadlifts and barbell rows and then try to do a pull up i cant do more then 3
    Have you tried using wrists straps for your chinups?
    It could well be that your grip has become fatigued and that puts extra stress/strain on your muscles while you are doing your chinups toward the end.

I find grip fatigue to be very subtle and not something that is easy to detect. Toss on some straps