The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How many calories should I eat, and what breakdown prot/carb/fat

6'2 250 lbs
    ~31% bodyfat

Plan on lifting weights 1-1.5 hours a day with 3 15 minute HIIT row sessions a week.

How many calories should I eat if I am trying to bulk up and gain muscle?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

As many as it takes to gain weight. Get atleast 1g/lb of protein and .5g/lb of fat. Fill the rest with whatever makes you happy.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by ShaleMacGregor View Post
    6'2 250 lbs
    ~31% bodyfat

Plan on lifting weights 1-1.5 hours a day with 3 15 minute HIIT row sessions a week.

How many calories should I eat if I am trying to bulk up and gain muscle?
    its not a good idea to be lifting everyday, if that is what u mean by ur original post.

Approx. 12 cals/day

/sarcasm.

No one can tell you how many cals to consume. You need to set a diet that you like/can stick with at a set number of cals, follow that for a week and if you gain at a rate you like- keep it, if you maintain- up the cals, if you lose weight-up the cals even more.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08 View Post
    You need to set a diet that you like/can stick with at a set number of cals, follow that for a week and if you gain at a rate you like- keep it, if you maintain- up the cals, if you lose weight-up the cals even more.
    this.

What are your goals? why you bulking when you have 31% bodyfat?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    this.

What are your goals? why you bulking when you have 31% bodyfat?
    That is a good question, and maybe one I should have started with in this thread.

I have had a pretty screwed up history when it comes to working out. I enjoy it, I just always have gotten overwhelmed with other things in life and eventually stopped when I reached a weight/appearance I was happy with. Which I then put back on over a period of a year or so.

Its a yoyo cycle that I want to stop, so I thought I would work for muscle first then drop the weight this time.

Example:

April 08 : weight 247lbs
    July 08: weight 209lbs
    I did the P90x system and was just trying to lose weight

This time I weigh a little more ~ 255ish today, but instead of rushing it in 3 months like I did, My goals are over a 6th month period
    1) Get to 10-15% body fat
    2) Have at LEAST as much muscle or more than when i started
    2b) Gain strength

If cutting first would be more beneficial, how would you break up the periods of bulking/cutting, or should I just simply cut down and lose a portion of the muscle I have currently, as in the photograph attached at 209, and then bulk?

Edit: Based on past experience I can stick to any diet for at least 3+ months, regardless of the makeup or portions. Yes i have chosen 6 months here because a friend and I are making a competition of it to keep each other motivated, and I want to have a good shape more than simply losing the most weight. I know I could get down to 190lbs or so, but Id rather be 215 with a lot more muscle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ShaleMacGregor; 07-17-2009 at 02:47 PM.